Quiche for low-carbers

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I lovve quich, but usually have to cut off the crust [the dogs like quiche crusts :D ]
whilst I was in edinburgh last week, I went into rinces street M&S and looked at their kitchen equipment on my way to the food hall to collect stuff for a picnic.
i spotted their silicon bakeware and had an idea. It WORKS! non-pastry quiche

Recipe
for a 21cm flan case
4 eggs beaten slightly plus 2 cup measures mixed cream/milk. beat together.
Adedd whatever. I used 1 chopped onion lightly fried and some grated cheese. Pour into flan case.
bake at 200 or 40 minutes and allow to finish setting.
comes out of the silicon beautifully.
Had it with French beans
Hana

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never thought of buying a silcone flan mould...

..but now I WANT ONE BAD!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like an omelette but done in the oven....not complaining as I love omelette's :)

mrsknitty

I did this but put the mixture into a silicone muffin tray so got 12 individual crustless quiches. I put in courgettes, red peppers and feta cheese. Have been having them for lunch this week, would be great for a picnic too!

BlindFaith

I like your idea Mrs Knitty - I've got some silicone muffin trays in the cupboard and I'm now very tempted to do this.
They'd make a nice breakfast as well I'd imagine; depending on what you put in them, of course :lol:

Hmm...bacon mini quiche...

WhitbyJet

This quiche is easily the best I ever made, people fall over themselves to get hold of a slice

Leek, Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Quiche

Preheat oven to 180C

Make your crust:
1.5 cups almond flour (1 cupe = 250ml)
3 tablespoons LSA flour (that is equal quantities of Linseed, Sunflowerseed and Almonds, finely ground, mixed together gives you LSA flour, the lucky kiwis can buy it ready made)
1 egg
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon oil (macadamia oil or avocado oil is good)

Mix everything together, then press this pastry into a well buttered quiche tin.
Stab it with a fork a few times or else it will bulge while its baking.
Bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.

Make the filling:
1 large leek
1 large onion
a big handful of mushrooms, wild mushrooms are lovely if you can get them, or use ordinary mushrooms and add a few dried wild mushrooms
a big handful of spinach, if its frozen, add around two nuggets
4 eggs
about 150 - 200g goats cheese or feta
150ml cream

Slice the leek, halve and slice the onion, slice the mushrooms, sautee all vegetables in melted butter or ghee, add spinach, when its all wilted down, add crumbled goats cheese or feta, set the veggies aside to let them cool slightly

Mix the eggs and cream together, season with plenty of freshly ground pepper, little bit of salt, then pour it in with the vegetable mixture and stir it all through.
Pour it all into the quiche tin and bake for around 35 minutes until the filling is set.

For a change you could add chopped bacon, salami or ham to the filling.

Defren

Patch said:
I've never thought of buying a silcone flan mould...

..but now I WANT ONE BAD!!!!!

Patch - you HAVE to have silicone, it's the new must have. :lol:

Seriously, silicone is so much easier. I have thrown away all my old bakeware and only use silicone. Nothing sticks, and it's a dream to clean. I have loaf moulds, muffin moulds, quiche/pie/cake moulds and a silicone sheet. So much easier than the traditional tins/cases etc.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Patch
the silicone mould I bought from M&S wasn't too pricey as some are. The best buys are when ALDI or LIDL have them.
Hana

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I made a tuna quiche the other day with ground almonds and butter, I spread it in a little pie dish then cooked it first. Whisked an egg and some some cream added half a tin of tuna and grated parmesan then popped that in the pie dish and cooked. Was lush it was nice to have something warm with salad.

BlindFaith

You are all making me hungry :lol:

WhitbyJet - that sounds delicious and fairly easy to make as well, I'll be giving that a go at some point!

Dawn - it sounds really odd; but next time you make the tuna quiche try adding a bit of bacon to it. It's delicious.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Blindfaith!

BlindFaith said:
I like your idea Mrs Knitty - I've got some silicone muffin trays in the cupboard and I'm now very tempted to do this.
They'd make a nice breakfast as well I'd imagine; depending on what you put in them, of course :lol:

Hmm...bacon mini quiche...

I made some of these using Mrs Xyzzy's recipe (somewhere in the low-carb recipe section) and put fried bacon and mushroom in them. They were brilliant for breakfasts!

Smidge

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a bloody good idea - lo-carb breakfast muffins! I bet they freeze perfectly too...

Can you pop 'em in the microwave from frozen for a super quick, convenient breakfast? :clap:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I wonder if the low carb crumpet will ever be invented? I don't miss a lot from my old diet but I blo*dy well miss those!! :(

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Patch!

Patch said:
That is a bloody good idea - lo-carb breakfast muffins! I bet they freeze perfectly too...

Can you pop 'em in the microwave from frozen for a super quick, convenient breakfast? :clap:

I reckon they'd freeze well, but I think they may turn into a lump of rubber if you zapped them in the microwave long-enough to defrost them. I kept them in the fridge for 5 days, though, and they were fine.

Smidge

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Blindfaith, nah no bacon. Just started eating fish because I was veggie and struggling, so pigs are out will leave their little snouts suffling in the mud a bit longer.

WhitbyJet

Paul1976 said:
I wonder if the low carb crumpet will ever be invented? I don't miss a lot from my old diet but I blo*dy well miss those!! :(

Make up a low carb pancake batter, add yeast and about half a tsp of real sugar, dont worry, the yeast will eat up all the sugar, it wont spike your bg, cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to stand for at least one hour, until the mixture goes all bubbly on top.
Then heat oil/butter mix in a pan, drop a small ladle full of the batter into the hot fat, as the bottom cooks, you get those holes on top, flip over cook a little longer, then spread the holes with loads and loads of butter and eat straight away or sprinkle with Splenda mixed with cinnamon or low carb home made lemon curd.

Edit: Make the batter slightly thicker than you normally would, but the secret is that you leave it to stand to get those bubbles into the batter.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Wow! Thanks for that WJ! :thumbup:

BlindFaith

I made mini quiches using the recipe that Hanadr posted and added my own things in and they look (and taste, I just had one!) delicious!!

uFfo5.jpg

My recipe is:
4 eggs
1 cup milk (I used the Lactofree milk but there's not much difference in calories between that and regular semi skimmed milk I think)
1 cup cream (I used Alpro soy cream so I don't know how much real cream would affect the nutritional values)
1/4 cup grated cheese
3 chipolata sausages
4 rashers streaky bacon

Mix everything together, spoon into (silicone!) muffin trays and cook for 20 minutes at 180c.
I got 12 mini quiches out of this recipe with the following nutritional values:

Calories - 115
Fat - 11g
Saturated Fat - 3g
Protein - 7g
Carbohydrates - 2g

I had meant to put some milled flaxseed in the mixture for added fiber and totally forgot; but next time I will and I'll recalculate the values then.