Is itchy skin related to diabetes?

alsida

Dislikes
I HATE BEING LABELLED DIABETIC!!!
Does anyone else suffer from itching skin? Is it typical in diabetes sufferers? I was diagnosed a few months ago with T2, and am trying to manage by diet and exercise alone. However, in the last month or so I have suffered with terrible itching to the area just above both ankles, both forearms, behind the knees and lower stomach. It's not there all the time - usually in the morning but sometimes in the evening as well. It drives me crazy, so, just before I book in to the doctors yet again, I thought I would ask you good folks. Thank you. :roll:

gillianre

I have it too, just on my lower legs and arms - Dr says that is a problem related to being Diabetic. Not given me anything for it though. I'll just have to itch forever. :(

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yep know the feeling, itchy feet ankles and arms. Seems worse when bs is high.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Yes its related to the high blood sugar levels .
I have it too, its more annoying than painful tho !
Anna.x :)

alsida

Dislikes
I HATE BEING LABELLED DIABETIC!!!
Thank you all so much! I really do appreciate your comments. Also, it has made me feel a bit worried - I had actually had a fleeting thought in my head wondering if it was connected to high BS. I have been trying so hard, but I know I am slipping and my next HBA1C is due in July. Am so very fearful of needing to start medication. :(

simply_h

Hi Alsida,

I would say its defo related to the D...

As I suffer from it myself, when I loose a little control..

But a good way to look at it is : Its like an alarm for us diabetics, as it lets us we need to apply more control.

I have noticed in your profile that your last HBa1C is 6%, as I was told (by nurse) that anything above 6.6% is defo diabetic..

So I guess u have a chance to make the changes now ect..

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
About the itchy skin? Are any of you taking tablets for high blood pressure like Ramipril. I'm type 1 on porcine but I was taking Rampril and shortly I I had itchy skin and gum problems. After 5 months problems with the gums and itchy getting worst I needed a biospy og the gums and the problems is Lichen Planus of the Mouth which also affects the skin....itching. I've now changed to a different tablet for the blood pressure.

Sparklygal

Yes, I get really bad itching on my feet, legs below the knee and forearms. It's only in the last few months i've associated it with bg. I scratch until it bleeds and then end up with what looks like nettle rash, sometimes it can take up to a month to go away. I am really glad I don't have it every day as my bg is high most days. :oops:

Rivig

Yep me too, when the sugar goes up I just wanna scratch scratch scratch my lower legs until they nearly bleed arggggh, it's a bloody itch that just can't be Satiated :/ but thank God the BS is back under some sort of control again now and it's totally subsided phew, for now at least :crazy: Just to add that the only real relief of any kind ( apart from lowering BS which is of course the best remedy ) that i've experienced is Eurax HC cream applied very sparingly, the other Eurax without hydrocortisone doesn't touch it much, hope this helps good luck :thumbup:

trevorfather

my daughter has very dry skin, flaky and painful. she complains it hurts to bathe sometimes .... just one of her many issues with diabetes.....
creams lotions and potions don't seem to help much.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Is it related to high BS? I am asking because I have mine quite under control average 5.2 Now and again 6.3 Cholesterol and Blood Pressure is good..and I still get itchy skin..for me its on my sides...Lucky its not elsewhere :lol: would be embarrassing in public :oops:

Sparklygal

DavideB said:
Is it related to high BS? I am asking because I have mine quite under control average 5.2 Now and again 6.3 Cholesterol and Blood Pressure is good..and I still get itchy skin..for me its on my sides...Lucky its not elsewhere :lol: would be embarrassing in public :oops:

**** aonther ilusion shattered! lol :lol:

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Itching not to scratch

Hi to all those that have unexplained itching of the skin. I'm T2 and often itch like crazy. I've been on meds only since Sep 2012 but diagnosed 2003 and I've only had huge problem since diagnosis so I can only guess it might be diabetes related. Sometimes my skin bleeds when scratching is driving me nuts. If I can halt it before it gets so bad I use these methods. If its small area I use Savlon antiseptic cream but if it starts up in other places I use an antihistamine like Chlorphenamine tablets. They work a treat when used as prescribed(please check out with your gp first). Hope this helps :D

Sharon Guy

I itch lots - some of it is side effects to meds like Ramipril - I had no idea some of it is due to the diabetes itself. For me it is back of the neck, arms, legs but sometimes much more widespread.

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Itching not to scratch

:D is there anyone who can explain that a post I wrote I made this morning does not immediately show up. Instead I have to go into second page 2 of 2 and scroll to the end to reach it. Now I know its been written so know where to look for it but how on earth can I get any replies if noone knows its there or where to look for it. Thanks Linzi