CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi

In Gretchen Becker's book TYPE 2 DIABETES THE FIRST YEAR she mentions that some people re-use lancets and that this is ok, as long as they are not shared (obviously) and are used on pre-washed hands (obviously).

Do any of you re-use lancets - if so, how long do you go before getting new ones??

CathyN x

Sparklygal

I have actually been using the same lancet for ages, I have a one touch monitor and accuchek pen (dont ask lol). there were about 6 preloaded in the pen and I've only used 3 in about a year or two. In saying that if i could find my one touch pen i'd be changing lancets fairly regularly. Sorry I haven't actually answered your post! :oops:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I have never changed mine - it is not blunt either - I will not shock you by telling you how many years of use it has had. Clean bag, clean hands, clean life (ha ha ha) you will be ok.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I change my lancet when it feels uncomfortable doing a test. Each can last for weeks and my current one has been in use for at least a couple of months. At the rate I am using them my initial buy of 200 lancets will last for the next 20 years. :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Only when it feels blunt and makes my finger throb,I've got loads of them so could change more often but I don't feel the need to. :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine if it starts to hurt. Get a nice, fresh SHARP one!

Once every couple of months...

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I usually change mine twice a day - that is testing upwards of 10 times though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I rotate the lancet drum once a day.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I use my lancets for ages and don't wash my wrist before I test either. No damage so far in 9 years.
Hana

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I use mine for months on end in fact I've never had to get another prescription for them! I don't wash my hands before using it I don't see the need to.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My only query would be if something sweet was on your fingers is it possible that it could get on the lancet - I don't know?

I certainly wash my hands before each test as I've seen the wrong readings by not doing so. I had a BS of 28 one night and I ran to the bathroom in a panic to wash hands and re-test - ahh BS of 8 .................and breathe!!!

docvern

Dislikes
Diabetes
think the general concensus is to use them for long time,,,,like i do ,,,i thought i was the only lazy one!!!!!!!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there!

I try to rotate the drum every time so I always use a fresh lancet - although I do forget sometimes. I don't deliberately re-use lancets and I never re-use needles. I feel that diabetes gives me enough worries with higher risks of all sorts of infections and complications and I don't want to add to this by re-using items that are specifically designed as single-use. You wouldn't re-use a plaster, so why re-use lancets?

Smidge

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change each time, however I get them on script. Or test at work using individual ones. Always wash my hands to do it or if I'm up with my horses use a baby wipe to clean hand.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Quite glad to see that it's fairly safe to re-use them, provided you are sensible about clean hands etc. I don't get them on prescription, and I was buying them myself to test different foods and their effect on me. Although considering how sore I find it, I may have to continue changing quite often.

Does alternative site testing hurt less (especially with re-used lancets)?

BlindFaith

I use one lancet a day and test 4/5 times a day, I wash my hands before each use and try to use a different finger - I end up with bruised fingers otherwise!!

I've not had any problems so far.