Type 2 and fresh fruit

paulbooth6

I was diagmosed type 2 roughly 2 years ago. I recently moved to spain where fresh fruit and vegetables are plentiful. However, are peaches. plums, grapes cherries etc good for type 2's. I have really cut down on carbs ie no bread, very little potato and pasta and stick to chicken fish etc and very little alcohol. Advice please. Many Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
paulbooth6 said:
I was diagmosed type 2 roughly 2 years ago. I recently moved to spain where fresh fruit and vegetables are plentiful. However, are peaches. plums, grapes cherries etc good for type 2's. I have really cut down on carbs ie no bread, very little potato and pasta and stick to chicken fish etc and very little alcohol. Advice please. Many Thanks

Most berries are low-carb but do check the carb value and watch the quantity that you eat.

Elc1112

Fruits can be quite high in natural sugar, so may cause your blood sugars to rise. I find that I am fine with most fruits. Bananas and pineapples, however, really cause my sugars to spike

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
paulbooth6 said:

The only way you will know if they cause a problem is to test.
Each and everyone of us is different what one type 2 can eat another can't. Same with type 1's :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I find it depends when I eat them. By themselves I have real problems but say as fresh fruit salad as desert after a main meal with a bit of double cream then no problem.

janeislay

This is a question I too wanted to ask. It's not so much the obvious effect of raised blood sugar I'm worried about - I know that berries are ok for me - it's more to do with this glycation business. I gather it's something to do with the way the fructose works.

Can anyone explain please ? Is it really bad for type 2s to eat fruit ?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
CarbsRok said:
The only way you will know if they cause a problem is to test.
Each and everyone of us is different what one type 2 can eat another can't. Same with type 1's :)

Agree 100% I happily eat an Apple every day with my lunch an Orange most days after my evening meal and quite often eat a Clementine, a banana or a Nectarine as a snack, I can eat a small handful of grapes as well the only problem I have with grapes is I find is hard to only eat a small handful so I dont buy them any more :lol:

I found out all the above from testing regularly, because of that I know if I eat a small Apple/Orange they hardly move my bg levels a large Apple more so and a large Orange considerably more so.

As CarbsRok says the only way to find out what you can eat is to try it, and test it, and that applies to every type of food not just fruit :thumbup:

Test, test, test, test, test, and then test again until you know what foods you can safely eat.

Never right off a food after one bad result, try reducing the portion size too, it should only take a few months to find your own levels and then such regularly testing can be reduced.

kayla1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive just been diagnosed as Type 2 ( on Friday Jan 13th :shock: ) and have followed the GI diet as this is a brilliant guide as to what raises your Blood Glucose and at what rate, it uses a traffic light system. Ive just been to an Expert Diabetes Programme at my Health Center and portion sizes were also discussed.Ive found that banana's, grapes and watermelon have a high GI, whilst Citrus fruits hardly raise your levels at all.Portion control is also handy to know, meat should be the size of a weetabix and fruit and veg the size of your palm, so it's an easy way of having your 5-9 a day

hope this helps x
kayla

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Fruits contain sugar, so you need to be careful Check the nutrition info on ach type and eat only the amount you can handle. Fruits contain minerals so have some benefits, but can be harmful to BG
Hana
Ps less sugar is present in underripe fruits. I prefer this anyway, because they taste more acidic.

yuikop

The information is very interesting. I like the post. Thank you, this advice will come in handy. It made me understand something, and it is that I never knew before.