Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
didie said:
My superfood is peppers - red, yellow and orange ones. I can eat up to 4 raw ones a day quite happily :D

I agree and a salad wouldn't be the same without them. The price Morrisons, Tesco and Asda charge for them is astonishing, they are half the price in budget stores such as Lidl or Aldi.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
noblehead said:
didie said:
My superfood is peppers - red, yellow and orange ones. I can eat up to 4 raw ones a day quite happily :D

I agree and a salad wouldn't be the same without them. The price Morrisons, Tesco and Asda charge for them is astonishing, they are half the price in budget stores such as Lidl or Aldi.

Very true! Tesco charge 79p per pepper where I live and I've bought a whole mixed pack in Aldi for the same price.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
Tesco charge 79p per pepper where I live and I've bought a whole mixed pack in Aldi for the same price.

Quite a saving! I'm sure I seen red peppers selling for a £1 each in Tesco's the other-day; you can't look beyond the likes Aldi & Lidl for savings on fruit and veg.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
£1 for a single pepper??? pretty expensive salad eh? :shock: I must get a greenhouse next year!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
They are £1 for 2 in our local Tesco at the moment and I've been bulk-buying. Otherwise I buy bags of them and discard the green ones. However now 'newly-graduated and unable to get a job' son is living at home, he'll probably consume the green ones along with all the other food in this house :D

Ashleigh

Make sure you have enough water with the chia seeds, and not too many of them in a day.

i had a teaspoon in my scrambled egg in the morning, the same for lunch and a spoonful in my omelette for dinner. I had enough water throughout the day at work, but only one glass of water immediatley after my dinner and another in the evening which was nowhere near enough:

When i went to bed i was cold so put an extra duvet on the bed. Woke up cold with them on the floor so put them back on and then woke up again sweating, bed was wet, clothes were wet, and i had an awful, awful pain in my stomach. I went to the toilet where i had diarreah (sp?) and more pains, i felt like i just wanted to throw myself on the floor, as well as be sick. I was cold but sweaty, my vision went funny (seeing white) and my legs went tingly then numb so much so i had to try to walk around for a bit. I thought i wanted an ambulance. I thought about testing my blood but was too ill to bother - and stuck on the toilet. I woke my sister up to get me some water and as soon as i started drinking it i started to feel better and eventually could go back to bed.

Slightly dodgy feeling belly today but i've had some immodium, no seeds today, and feel pretty much ok.

I am convinced that this is due to lack of water with the seeds, eating eggs for 3 meals for one day wouldnt do that to you, so be careful with them and dont forget to drink your water!

Edit: green tea with them could also be the problem. I had two yesterday, and did notice before that i'm ok with one, but if i try to have three as recommended then i get looser stools than i'd like. two is also ever so slightly too many as well.

iHs

Re: Chia Seed............

I've bought some too (eBay) and yes they do seem to make you feel full up for longer and have quite a nice effect on keeping bg levels better balanced . So Cheers thanks very much for mentioning Chia :thumbup:

iHs

If you overdo the Chia and eat them in excess, then yes, trips to the loo could well happen. Bulgar wheat can also do the same due to the high fibre content........ Its a bit like bran...... bran with loads of water will make you use the loo but bran with hardly any water will bind you up.......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
Watercress is a superfood too.
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... cress.html

I don't buy lettuce as I find it bland and boring and so my salads are always made with watercress. It is also nice in open sandwiches or garnish, Can be incorporated in soups too. This one uses spinach as well as the watercress.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/watercresssoup_93505

I know what you mean about lettuce. Sainsburys do a bag of Mixed Italian Salad which is delicious and not badly priced at £1.50p, not a big fan of watercress but prefer mustard-cress instead, for a bit of flavour to a salad add some Wild Rocket.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
catherinecherub said:
Watercress is a superfood too.
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... cress.html

I don't buy lettuce as I find it bland and boring and so my salads are always made with watercress. It is also nice in open sandwiches or garnish, Can be incorporated in soups too. This one uses spinach as well as the watercress.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/watercresssoup_93505

When doing salads I use 1 lettuce leaf, then use watercress, spinach and rocket to make it taste great.

C

catherinecherub

Ashleigh said:
Make sure you have enough water with the chia seeds, and not too many of them in a day.

i had a teaspoon in my scrambled egg in the morning, the same for lunch and a spoonful in my omelette for dinner. I had enough water throughout the day at work, but only one glass of water immediatley after my dinner and another in the evening which was nowhere near enough:

When i went to bed i was cold so put an extra duvet on the bed. Woke up cold with them on the floor so put them back on and then woke up again sweating, bed was wet, clothes were wet, and i had an awful, awful pain in my stomach. I went to the toilet where i had diarreah (sp?) and more pains, i felt like i just wanted to throw myself on the floor, as well as be sick. I was cold but sweaty, my vision went funny (seeing white) and my legs went tingly then numb so much so i had to try to walk around for a bit. I thought i wanted an ambulance. I thought about testing my blood but was too ill to bother - and stuck on the toilet. I woke my sister up to get me some water and as soon as i started drinking it i started to feel better and eventually could go back to bed.

Slightly dodgy feeling belly today but i've had some immodium, no seeds today, and feel pretty much ok.

I am convinced that this is due to lack of water with the seeds, eating eggs for 3 meals for one day wouldnt do that to you, so be careful with them and dont forget to drink your water!

Edit: green tea with them could also be the problem. I had two yesterday, and did notice before that i'm ok with one, but if i try to have three as recommended then i get looser stools than i'd like. two is also ever so slightly too many as well.

As with most things moderation is the key.

This article explains the benefits and possible side effects of Chai Seeds for some users and recommends the amount you can safely take.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chia-see ... fects.html

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my favourite salad leaf, though I mix it with other leaves
Mache, (lambs lettuce in the UK)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_salad
Like other formerly foraged greens, corn salad has many nutrients, including three times as much vitamin C as lettuce, beta-carotene, B6, B9, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids

It's apparently called rapunzel in Germany and was the plant craved for by the mother in the Rapunzel fairy tale.
Learn something new every day :D
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/rampion- ... unzel.html

Ashleigh

catherinecherub said:
Ashleigh said:

As with most things moderation is the key.

This article explains the benefits and possible side effects of Chai Seeds for some users and recommends the amount you can safely take.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chia-see ... fects.html

I think i looked at that page earlier, they say

Adult - 15 grams (2 tbsp.) of chia seeds daily.

I had teaspoons, not tablespoons, so think it was down to a lack of water. in future i'll soak them before i eat them just to be safe :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Thank you for this lovely bit of information - I've just ordered myself some Chia seeds from Amazon. They have very good reviews on Amazon too so they're worth a try as far as I'm concerned. God, I love this forum! :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My Chia seeds arrived today from Amazon so I've got a few grams soaking in a bowl with some water so that I can see how much they swell before I eat them. Now I'm searching for ideas as to what to eat them with and what quantities to eat throughout the day.

I'm never very hungry in the morning so a 30g slice of GI bread with peanut butter has become my usual breakfast since I was diagnosed with T2. I'm tending to stick to the same few foods until I get to know what I can and can't eat. I could skip lunch most days because I just don't feel hungry but once we get to 3pm - I'm beginning to feel ready for a small meal so I tend to have my main meal around that time and once I've had that I tend to graze throughout the rest of the evening, I'm up and down getting mini snacks.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can mix the Chia seeds with? So far all I can think of is yoghurt.

Also would anyone be willing to share their menu for a day - complete with quantities to give me an idea of what to eat and how much of it? :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grace, :)

This site may help: http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways- ... -seeds.php

I just add the seeds to to my porridge oats, then sprinkle over salads etc;

The seeds do fascinate me the way they stick on glass and cleaning sponges.

Be careful at first as some people in this forum have experienced odd effects.

Good luck and enjoy.

Roy. :)

Defren

The site Roy has posted is a good one, also if you Google Chia seeds others come up.

I have 10g of chia every day with 50g full fat Greek yogurt, a mixture of berries that amount to around 60g (usually strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and another super-food blueberry) and between 20 - 30g of flax (I buy mine from Holland and Barrett). That seems to be an ideal amount for me. I will however take a teaspoon from the jar and eat as it comes if I get the munchies.

The one huge thing that has been mentioned a few times, but is important is to make sure you drink loads of fluid when eating chia.

Glad my little find has helped people, I think they are great. :D

Defren

I have been reading about the health benefits of spinach, especially for people with macular degeneration. I have an appointment tomorrow to have a diabetic eye screen and also see the podiatrist. I plan to ask the Doctor his views on spinach and I will share them when I get home. All articles I have read extol the virtue of spinach, so it's looking positive. I love spinach raw with salad, and if my Doctor at the clinic agrees with what I have read, I will up the amount I eat.

Between chia seeds, blueberries which I also eat every day and also a good amount of spinach, I should be flippin' wonder woman :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm all about the Spinach, the Blueberries and the Eggs.