Diabetic Type1 Firearms police officer ????

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Firearms police officer ????

Not sure, if you are a serving Police Officer then you'd be better asking this question to your superiors.

A

Anonymous

Superiors? :shock:

Anyway, I don't know either, but I would guess that your diabetes is known to the police service so if it's an issue then it would become known as you apply for the necessary clearances and undergo training.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As hypos seriously affect your judgement I would sincerely hope that the police would not allow any diabetic using insulin to become a firearms officer.

Sorry if that not the answer you wanted to hear but thats my opinion.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
Just think that if the DVLA can take your right to drive away because of the dangers of having a hypo while driving, surely giving someone a gun, when the potential is still there, is madness

Sorry just my opinion

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Sadly I agree with above,I'm all for equal oppurtunities and I'm an insulin user myself but I don't believe it's safe no matter how long someones been Hypo free even in this delicate situation,there's ALWAYS potential for an episode at a critical time and I imagine that speed,accuracy and timing is crucial in a code red situation and there would be little time for "Sorry lads,I know there's a fella threatening to blow a Nuns head off with a sawn off shotgun but I've got to test my blood first.."

ash8787

Thanks for the posts. Ive got the interview in two weeks and when i contacted the force directly all i have been told is that the force medical officer will have the final say. The dda act states that i am entitled to a independant medical assesment if they say no!

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
One does not join the Police Service with a view to being a firearms officer - if one does then, I for one, would question the applicant's suitability as an officer irrespective of his medical history. Serving officers in London before 1960, if becoming diabetics, were still allowed to be Traffic Officers provided that they undertook fixed time meal breaks and maintained bg's but were subject to the attention of the Chief Medical Officer regularly.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
ash8787 said:
Thanks for the posts. Ive got the interview in two weeks and when i contacted the force directly all i have been told is that the force medical officer will have the final say. The dda act states that i am entitled to a independant medical assesment if they say no!

Surely the DDA would not apply in this case? This is not about discrimination, this is about peoples lives being put at risk.

Sorry Ash, I think anyone who has a medical condition which could cause a rapid impairment of judgement should under no circumstances be allowed to carry a firearm. It just seems crazy to think otherwise. :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would check with your professional association
Hana

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
BaliRob said:
One does not join the Police Service with a view to being a firearms officer - if one does then, I for one, would question the applicant's suitability as an officer irrespective of his medical history. Serving officers in London before 1960, if becoming diabetics, were still allowed to be Traffic Officers provided that they undertook fixed time meal breaks and maintained bg's but were subject to the attention of the Chief Medical Officer regularly.

Curious to know how in 1960 they maintained blood glucose levels.

A person with type 1 diabetes can hold a firearms cert, though I'm not sure i would want a type 1 firearms officer.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I have no idea either - it was not me that was a Diabetic then.

hua052011

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: http://interviewquestionstoask.info/police-officer-interview-questions/

Best regards.

chu082011

Dear friends

Thank very much for sharing. I like Diabetic Type1 Firearms police officer ???? very much.

Very useful for me.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: http://www.slideshare.net/john210378/police-interview-questions-13076581s

Rgs

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I'm type 1 and I have a shotgun license. I also have a number of friends with type 1 who hold a firearms certificate without any problems. I do not see any reason why being diabetic should go against you if you have good control of your sugars.