Does this happen to anyone else?

minitata

I normally eat fairly low carb - less than 60 grams most days. As well as being a type 2 I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and chronic fatigue.

Yesterday I went out to lunch at Slattery's in Bury. It is a wedding cake maker place and is known to be chocolate heaven. I ate loads more carbs than I would normally do. As I was still full I didn't eat anything following this meal (turkey, bacon and goat's cheese on 3 slices of toast - of which I left half a slice - with salad and coleslaw, dark chocolate tart and home-made ice cream, and coffee)

I went to bed as usual at about 6.30 pm. At 7.45 I awoke to a hypo - my bg was 1.4 - I had a bottle of lucozade (given to me by my mum after dad died, not something I usually have in) so I drank it. Half an hour later bg was 3. I was still feeling shaky so I joined hubby downstairs and after another 15 minutes I had a banana. I went back to bed at about 9 pm with my heart pounding, so I checked my bp, an average over 4 takes was 163/126 and a pulse of 115.

Do other low carbers find themselves having hypos if they suddenly eat a lot of carbs? Or find their bp goes way, way high?

Thanks for any information

MTT

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've never had a hypo but my lowest-ever reading (3.5) occurred 2 hours after a wholemeal cheese sandwich followed by a soft ice-cream cone with chocolate flake :shock: . Normally I eat below 70g of carb and usually around 30g. A bit like your experience, maybe, but not so extreme.

I've no idea why it happened.

Viv 8)

minitata

Thanks Viv,

This is my most extreme reaction. I used to have mild hypos regularly, but since I've gone low carb I've not had any. My bg can drop to 3 or so without symptoms. I just wondered if it could be that I and others become more sensitive from not eating carbs. The toast was thick white bread - had it have been wholemeal or, in fact, any other I'd have probably left more, but pappy white bread was just too difficult to resist (why? :lol: ).

At least I know not to do it again.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey minitata!

That must have been scary! Lowest I've been is 2.4 and that scared me! I low-carb at around 50g or less a day. If I eat something sugary my BG goes really high really quickly and then crashes down really quickly. I don't know why, but it seems the higher they go the quicker and lower they fall. This also happens if I drink wine with my meal (or without a meal :)) I am on insulin though.

Smidge

paragliderpete

Hi. It looks like you are going over the top to control your hypo. You don't say what size bottle of lucazade you had, but a 300ml bottle would have enough glucose in to take your bm's up to a similar level to an oral glucose tolerenc test, approx 17 or 18, and then a bannana on top. I would suspect you were hyper and hence the reaction you got.
The down side to this is that you probably had a very strong second stage insulin release to combat the high blood sugars. This could have again triggered another hypo. A yo yo effect.
Generally the more carbs you load up with , the bigger response you will get. This can generate what is called a reactive hypo.

Eat fewer carbs at each meal to reduce the reaction, and don't go overboard to correct a hypo. I find I only need a digestive biscuit to correct mine, some times even less

minitata

It's the first time I've taken lucozade, so I didn't know what I was doing. As it made me feel unwell all night and gave me terrible heartburn I won't be having it again either. My mother is trying to get rid of it since my dad died in May. It was watching him go downhill through ignoring his diabetes for years that made me determined the get a handle on mine and started me low carbing - and for the first time losing weight without effort or exercise (I'm disabled)