Stopping weight loss - hard to eat more

A

Anonymous

I'm starting to get a bit worried about my weight loss as I'm getting increasingly bony and not to put to fine a point on it, I'm going to have to start carrying a cushion :(

I assume I'm not taking in enough calories but it's really quite hard to up the calories and keep my carbs down. I have been trying to eat more cheese and more cream, but I end up feeling very full and not wanting any food at all. What's the ulitmate high calorie low carb food? or am I approaching this the wrong way?

I want to increase my exercise (and therefore burn more calories) but I don't want to make things worse.

Defren

I can't help, but I will be watching this thread with interest. I am now close to my ideal weight, yet it seems I can eat a LOT of calories a day and the weight still drops. I Plan to go onto a maintenance plan soon as I will want to stop dropping the weight, but I like you, feel a bit nervous about this.

I am not bony - yet! However my collar bones are getting prominent as are the veins in my hands, so I know I am now very close to the right weight for me.

Never in a million years did I think I would be looking at a stabilising diet, or a way to stop the weight dropping, the fact I am is purely down to being told I was diabetic and the shock that went with it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Swimmer
I am a skinny DB also I find that if I eat more often I do not feel as full so I snack on nuts and maybe a low carb cracker loaded with butter and pate or full fat cream cheese and marmite I also find not feel as full in the daytime so I try to eat more at breakfast and lunch . After my evening meal which I have with a glass of red win I have a square or two of high cocoa chocolate .It is hard to low carb and high calorie I take Metformin which is an appetite suppressant which makes life more difficult but it is a challenge :roll:
CAROL

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Swimmer!

I had a similar problem before I went onto insulin. I found the best things were avocado (eat it with ham, walnuts and pumpkin seeds or anything else you like), pour a mixture of olive oil with a tiny amount of balsamic vinegar (tiny because of the sugar in balsamic vinegar) on your salads and snack on mixed nuts and seeds or ham & brie. I now have to wean myself off all this because my weight is a little above where I want it for the first time in my life :roll:

Smidge

Jo123

Wish I knew the answer I have problems in this too. Since I have low carbed my blood lipids which were perfect deterioated so i try to keep my saturated fat low.
I do much as the others, nuts, 90% chocolate lashings of olive oil you get the idea. But it isn't easy if it wasn't for getting too skinny I would eat less.

Maddiemo1

I'm having the same problem. I'm sick of cream, cheese, and eggs. I find it hard to eat enough cals and keep my carbs low. So I'm changing to low GI I think the diet looks more versatile. Also I'm not feeling well run down.

A

Anonymous

It sounds like this is clearly a problem on this diet. I've not been one for baking bread or cakes using low carb ingredients, but my diet seems to be rather limited unless I'm having a main meal and so I need to find a solution.

andrew_333

I was reassured to find this thread and find out it's not just me that's a bit concerned about weight loss. I've been low carbing for about four months and have been losing weight steadily. I didn't have that much to spare at the start. I have always been slim (downright skinny when I was younger!), but in the last few years I have put on a few kilos, and like most naturally slim people it went straight round my waist so I had a bit of a belly. The belly has almost gone and I'm getting a bit bony, but I am still losing weight.

I can see why people recommend a low carb diet for weight loss because it's certainly very effective. Others, though, can re-introduce carbs when they've achieved their ideal weight - we can't. I'm trying to eat more fat but I find it kills my appetite, so I'm eating less and less. I'm also just about to start on metformin which might kill my appetite even more. I've only just been formally diagnosed through the GTT, but my low carbing means my HbA1c is 5.4 (36) and I don't want to risk increasing it by going back on more carbs. A vicious circle :(

Maddiemo1

This low carb diet is the pits, I really don't want to eat at all. I have the added problem of being wheat gluten and lactose intolerant too. I am still loosing weight dropped two sizes. My husband said yesterday I'm much to thin. I feel like giving up low carb all together now, but what can you do.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrew333!

It is hard, but you do have to find the right balance between BG levels and your weight. If low-carbing means getting your calories from elsewhere (e.g. fat) then that's OK, but if it means not getting enough calories, that's not OK. You need a certain amount of calories to maintain your weight and function properly, so you either have to introduce more calories from a mixture of fat and protein, or you have to increase your carbs and potentially impact your BG. It's just a trade-off we all have to make. If you find that you really cannot get enough calories when low-carbing, you have to increase the carbs a bit and potentially take more/different medication to maintain your BG.

Try snacking on nuts and seeds, olives and other high fat foods. Snacking little and often might be the way to reach your compromise.

Good luck

Smidge

Maddiemo1

Yes I know your right just feeling sorry for myself today. I'm not feeling very well never feel well lately. I'm prediabetic so might be taking it to far. But as I only have one kidney had a transplant don't want to loose it I'm trying to reverse prediabetes if that is really possible.

C

catherinecherub

Maddiemo1 said:
Yes I know your right just feeling sorry for myself today. I'm not feeling very well never feel well lately. I'm prediabetic so might be taking it to far. But as I only have one kidney had a transplant don't want to loose it I'm trying to reverse prediabetes if that is really possible.
Hi,

However well meaning the advice you are being given about weight loss, in your situation it might be worth asking to see a Dietitian. Adding extra protein foods to your diet is something that needs to be considered carefully.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh my god, whay don't I have this problem!!!!
I'm very low carb, and not losing weight at all, in fact I have gained what I lot for some reason, eating the same diet.
I'm stumped.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dawnmc said:
Oh my god, whay don't I have this problem!!!!
I'm very low carb, and not losing weight at all, in fact I have gained what I lot for some reason, eating the same diet.
I'm stumped.

Dawn, try counting the calories in your food and cut back slightly to see if this helps kick-start your weight loss

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did check on fitness pal, and myfatsecret, turns out I'm eating about 900 cals a day, some days was 1200. So I give up.