Is your Omnipod funded by Surrey PCT?

agold

Hi there,

Anyone being funded for an Omnipod pump by Surrey PCT?

I'm pretty sure Surrey are already funding people on this pump but I've just been refused funding for this one by Surrey, and would like to argue my case. Can anyone help?

Thanks

agold

Oh, and could people also tell me why they chose the patch pump over the usual tubed ones? How has it enhanced your life/diabetes care?

Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
All you have to do is ask Surrey PCT for the info. It's called freedom of information. THey have to provide the info.

As to life enhancement betewen the two!
Personally I would not touch the tubeless for anything. It can be knocked off, which can leave you with no cannula in to trickle feed the remaining insulin into you, if you don't happen to have a spare.
Not sure if they have improved it's reliability yet but at one point all you saw on the net was complaints about pod failures
My personal view is I would rather have a pump with the brains (wizard) on the pump and not by some handset that can decide it ain't going to talk to the pod. Same with a handset easier to damage or lose. Far to much plastic etc for the landfill sites.

If you have been offered a pump then accept it and be gratefull.
If you don't like whats on offer then stay on MDI, problem solved.
The staff have to have training for each pump they supply so this also might be an issue.
You just don't notice a tubed pump anyway so no idea what you are objecting to. There are different lengths of tubes so the pump can be place where you want on your body.

I personally think you are making a mountin out of a mole hill.

leggott

yes, both my kids use omnipod funded by Surrey PCT.

Love it, no complaints. Pods don't get bumped off that often and that's on an energetic 7 year old boy. Pods so easy to put on both my kids can do it within 2 minutes!

agold

Thanks so much for the feedback Leggot, that's good to know and so happy for you and your children. It's interesting that the people who actually have personal experience of the pump, absolutely love it and seemingly the ones with none whatsoever, complain about it. Guess you can't knock it til you try it! Thanks again.

iHs

I think people should seriously give the Cellnovo some consideration before going for an Omnipod. The Cellnovo is a patch pump if you want it to be but also comes with lengths of tubing so that the pump part itself can be hidden in bras or anywhere on the body and will attach to the infusion set by the length of tube. It is the pump of the future but due to its very small size, it has no internal battery that could be bought in a shop for example... and needs to be re charged using a USB cable plugged into electric supply or pc etc. I think it competes price wise with other pump manufacturers so I look forward to reading reviews for the pump once people start using it.............

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
iHs, I got some info on that pump, I think they are also doing a bg machine as well, with colour screen, not sure if they will talk to each other but it's a small size.

iHs

Me love the look and feel of the Cellnovo. One hell of a lot of time and money has been ploughed into creating that pump with the technology that it will use. As far as I know the Cellnovo handset will also be the bg meter teamed to work with a particular bg teststrip but I think (or hope) that people will be able to use whatever bg meter they want and then enter the bg reading into the handset manually and not be completely dependant on using a particular brand.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Finger x iHs as it looks lively if they do cgm as well it would be a great package, didn't know it would run by tube as well, as got my info months ago. I'm looking at all of them but consult wants a cgm,nto deal with issues that I have.

iHs

They are working on it already Julie and are having discussions with a company that will manufacture a glucose sensor. The upgrade for the handset to also be used as a cgm will just be a download..... so good things will be on the way.

The bionic pancreas is also in the making and will hopefully only be few years away now before it becomes reality....

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hope the sooner the better as been told cgm, to help,can't wait would be good if they could do metter apps,guess thats the next step.

maxies-mom

leggott said:
yes, both my kids use omnipod funded by Surrey PCT.

Love it, no complaints. Pods don't get bumped off that often and that's on an energetic 7 year old boy. Pods so easy to put on both my kids can do it within 2 minutes!

Hoping this thread is still active...
My 8 year old has just been diagnosed t1 3 weeks ago. while we are still in the honeymoon period and really only just getting the hang of the ropes, leggott, your post about omnipod has me really intrigued. What is it, how does it work and can it work through the honeymoon roller coaster?

We are in South Africa and would have to self fund regardless unless our medical insurance steps to the plate (which is always a big question mark seeing you are allowed to have diabetes but only one year at a time...)

Most interested to find out more and start planning a road to a normal a life as possible for Max with as much freedom as possible.

Much love
Philly

agold

Hi Philly,

Sorry to hear your little one has just been diagnosed :-( The good news is that it's probably a good time to be diagnosed just in that there are so many more options for treatment than ever before and it's getting better all the time. In just a few years there'll be new inventions for sure!

The Omnipod is an insulin pump like any other, except that rather than being a separate pump that's attached to you by a tube(I.e. the pump with the insulin goes in your pocket and a tube attatched to/under skin carries the insulin to you), with the Omnipod, you just attach a small 'pod' filled with the insulin straight onto your skin under your clothes whereby a tiny cannula, that you can't feel, into your skin. In other words, no tubing. This is controlled by a handset (looks like a mobile phone) which you can use remotely via Bluetooth to programme the insulin delivery.

I've been using it since last September, initially on a trial, and then self-funded because my health trust doesn't fund it. However, I'm moving to an area that does fund it soon and can't wait! Like any pump, there are pros and cons: It's amazing, particularly for self-confidence and psychologically having a sense of 'normality'. You literally press a button for some insulin anywhere! The pods are disposable and each one lasts 3 days and then you have to change it for a new one. So after the upfront costs, you pay for each box of 10 pods. This lasts between 3 to 4 weeks.

You can also have baths and showers and go swimming with it, unlike other pumps. I guess for children it might be good because you can programme it remotely as a parent when necessary and keep the controller out of reach when necessary, although you may want your 8 year old to be in control at all times?? It's very discreet too so as a young person they shouldn't feel so self conscious.

I've had issues with quite a few pod occlusions (blockages) which is annoying, but the customer services of Ypsomed are going to replace them apparently, but other than that, it's been great. My control has been so much better.

It's expensive if self-funding and there are some improvements that need to be made to the pods (although the new version that's just come out may be better), but I think it's great and offers more flexibility and normality. Personally, I couldn't go back to pens or a tubed pump, but not everyone shares that opinion.

Hope that helps and good luck!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree with agold and that is despite me moaning on about endlessly today about occlusions with the new small Pods, the Omnipod is great. It's small, neat, waterproof, can be hidden (or displayed ) all over the body and after a year on it, I wouldn't go back to MDI. Customer service is good too. The only other pump I would have considered is the Cell Novo but that isn't/ wasn't available when making the choice a year ago. I'm lucky that I don't pay for the Omnipod for which I'm grateful, that old postcode lottery I guess.