Running v Cycling - The Blood Glucose Experiment

Tentsmuir

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After many years of conflicting advice on how to fuel up properly for runs and bike rides as a T2 diabetic, I may be coming close to an answer. I had long suspected a fast 1hr bike ride was better at reducing BGL than an equivalent run, but now I can now provide some data rather than speculation. I have also found that it is very easy to induce a hypo on the bike and that one might need far less carbs for a run than one might expect. My fingers feel like a pin cushion, but the results have been worth it: Although primarily regarding T2 diabetes, this blog contains links to two very interesting articles for T1 athletes as well. Looking forward to some feedback

http://tentsmuir.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/running-v-cycling-the-blood-glucose-experiment/

Jakjo

I would think with fueling it is down to the individual (big questions I know) I was a professional athlete and training 6 days a week about 20 years ago. I went off the path after that and have been landed with Diabetes and high cholestral (family history) Which I too have the same questions. What I have noticed is "any" exercise helps a ton! My own experience is that blood sugar can be controlled with a low card diet but what carbs do you need before a big workout? I personaly think it's down to your own body.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's an interesting read, but I'd take issue with your point that "you need carbs for running".

If you regularly eat carbs, then you force your body into a "sugar burning mode" and make that true. If you don't eat carbs, then you can force your body into "fat burning mode", and for endurance running at least, you should be using muscle glycogen at a much lower rate., and therefore need to replenish it much less oftern.

Well, that's the theory at least (http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-C ... 0983490716).

I can't match your achievements as an ultra runner, but I know that I can complete a 10 mile run on an empty stomach, and by eating less than 25g of carbs a day. If I do that, my BG will be rock stable for the rest of the day. Never had a hypo, only ever spike after running 5k races.

S.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
The obvious answer to your question is, that when you are cycling you are using the biggest muscle in your body which is your quads. Running mostly uses your calf muscle, not as big, so burns less carbs.

snowy_barks

Very interesting stuff.

I would tend to agree with borofergie though, from what I understand you do not absolutely need carbs.

Also, I am not absolutely agree with you regarding what you consider a BG LOW and a BG HYPO.

As a non diabetic will typically have a BG level of around 4.0 mmoL, I am sure that after strenuous exercise this will drop and I am sure this happened to me, before diagnosis, however, I am not sure if it is entirely significant.
If you feel OK and not on the verge of collapse (anymore than you would expect to be after completion of several hours of physical exercise!), what is the problem? You body will dump glucose from the liver or a small intake of food, not necessarily high carb/high GI and will normally correct this.

Also a BG of 4.9 is not LOW but normal and technically a BG of <3.8 is hypo but if you are only on metaformin I don't see what the big issue is if your BG drops to that level briefly after strenuous exercise.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
catherinecherub said:
the east man said:
The obvious answer to your question is, that when you are cycling you are using the biggest muscle in your body which is your quads. Running mostly uses your calf muscle, not as big, so burns less carbs.
Although the quads might be one of the strongest muscles in the human body, the gluteus maximus is the biggest one.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/muscles.html
:thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder if you could get some advice from members of the US Team T2 cycle team.
This is a link to the blog of a cyclist with T2 .
http://cycling2live.com/
He says that he had questions on exercise/nutrition /T2 and got good advice after contacting one of their members via their facebook page (link given on blog)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
the east man said:

the east man said:

I reckon German Track Cyclist Robert Fostermann's quads are bigger than his gluteus maximus:
article-0-144A7E8A000005DC-727_634x474.jpg

Didn't help him to win any medals mind...

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
borofergie said:
the east man said:

the east man said:

I reckon German Track Cyclist Robert Fostermann's quads are bigger than his gluteus maximus:
article-0-144A7E8A000005DC-727_634x474.jpg

Didn't help him to win any medals mind...
Good God!!! :shock:

Tentsmuir

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the replies. I've followed up on the links and it is all interesting. At the end of the day (and after continuing to monitor), I continue to be amazed at the variety of results. However, since moving up a gear with the running my HbA1C is down to 6.2 (down from 2 years constant at 6.9), so sticking with it for now. I still enjoy the cycling too, but by the way, those cyclists quads - no thanks :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Currently,
My BG is going UP at the gym
Hana