Status
Not open for further replies.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
That's a great post, and something that motivates me everytime that I'm a little glum about not being able to eat trifle. For me diabetes is more of a minor inconvenience than a serious condition.

Both my parents died in their early 60s from cancer. Before I was diagnosed, I'd convinced myself that it was cancer causing my numb feet. Compared with that, diabetes came as a relief.

WhitbyJet

Yes, I have always said that you dont have to look far to find someone who is worse off.
Diabetes is indeed merely a inconvenience, we need to be flexible in our approach in regards to food, we need to learn to focus on the delicious food that we still can eat, not focus on the food that has contributed towards making us ill.

Borofergie, when you have finished your 30 days I shall personally make you a huge bowl of trifle and send it round to yours via courier service :) :) And at just 22 carbs for the entire bowl you will be able to indulge.

Keep strong, am watching your progress, you are doing good :thumbup: :thumbup:

Unbeliever

Yes i get all this people. Indeed on diagnosis my forst reaction was "there are worse things" As indeedt here are - many of them,

I don't wish to depress anyone but surely having diabetes does NOT mean that we won't get anythng else or anyhing worse?

if /when we do then having diabetes too is unlikely to help.

I have never found that being unable to eat whatever I want whenever i want it is the worst thing about diabetes,.That sort of statement reinforces the idea of diabetics as glutttons who brought it all on themselves don't you think?

Scardoc

Unbeliever said:
Yes i get all this people. Indeed on diagnosis my forst reaction was "there are worse things" As indeedt here are - many of them,

I don't wish to depress anyone but surely having diabetes does NOT mean that we won't get anythng else or anyhing worse?

if /when we do then having diabetes too is unlikely to help.

I have never found that being unable to eat whatever I want whenever i want it is the worst thing about diabetes,.That sort of statement reinforces the idea of diabetics as glutttons who brought it all on themselves don't you think?

No, I don't think. Diabetes has a big impact on your diet which is why people use that statement. We may, as diabetics, still be struck down with something terrible but I for one and am not wasting any time thinking about that. If it happens it happens. Diabetes has happened so I'll focus on that for now.

Negative thinking is perhaps the worst thing a diabetic can be inflicted with - after all, there are not many medical conditions I have read about which are "more common in diabetics". We seem to be prone to them all!! :lol:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I always try and think of those poor people who have not got any options. We have, and I don't consider Diabetes as an horrendous disease. True it can be, and does cause terrible complications. I only have to look at the mother in-law and see them, but I have the ability, the tools and the will power not to let it do that to me, or at least give it my best shot. I don't consider my diet is bad in fact I rather like it, of course there are times when I am tempted and lose it, Saturday was one at the shops with family, I had no dinner and a chip shop loomed, me; I had a sausage, the wife and kids fish and chips, I cracked my will power crumbled like a deck of cards. I ate about 8 chips :oops: apart from those times, it's got me fitter than I have been since I was a young man, I have lost weight that in itself gives you a positive attitude, as a family we all go swimming on Sundays and enjoy ourselves very much :thumbup: what is the hardship in that, we never done that before I was diagnosed, I never had the time, well now I make the time to enjoy my family and my leisure. I consider myself lucky to some extent, lucky that it was diagnosed early before any serious damage was done, and lucky it was not a disease that gave me no fighting chance. A reality check indeed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often when we look around and see what other people have to deal with in their daily lives diabetes doesn't seem to bad at all.

Unbeliever

noblehead said:
Often when we look around and see what other people have to deal with in their daily lives diabetes doesn't seem to bad at all.

Ho indeed. II can't understand what this forum is all about , and all these people so upset confused and afraid and all these heated discussions- all for slight :roll: inconvenience!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I disagree with the above posts saying how having Diabetes is just an inconvenience or something.

It is only 6 months since my diagnosis. Maybe in a while I will feel comfortable being Diabetic and less scared and obsessed with my blood sugars and things.

But at the moment it feels like a huge thing to deal with. There is always something worse than what one has. Someone with cancer could say "at least I'm not dead yet" but still be in a state over their own illness.

Mind you I am type 2 diet controlled only, so being obsessive about my food is my only means of control right now.

and I refuse to feel guilty for missing cake and sweets and just being able to eat whatever is available. That does not make me a glutton.

I am not angry, I feel sad and hurt and upset that such comments have been made and feel judged and found lacking in fortitude by my peers. :(

desidiabulum

Whoa people -- I think there are two valuable but different and distinct points being made here:
1. T2 successfully controlled diabetes (especially when controlled just by diet and metformin) is a bother and damned inconvenience, but pales before many many other conditions and this is worth remembering to keep a proper sense of proportion.
2. Uncontrolled diabetes, or diabetes which people are struggling to control, or one where neuropathies are kicking in, is however not an inconvenience but a frightening and seriously disabling condition. And for many people out there with auto-immune problems diabetes is only one aspect of a much larger set of debilitating conditions. The majority of the articulate members of the forum tend to be those who are controlling straightforward T2 by diet only and without neuropathy, and maybe at times members need to avoid using 'we' to refer to all diabetics.
We're not all in the same boat, even if we can gain immeasurably from sharing ideas and experiences.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
We're all going to see things different on this subject.we can only comment through our own take on things and experiences,I have diabetic complications but in my life right now,it's the least of my problems and compared to some people I've met-I'm blessed in comparison.
There's no right or wrong on this subject-only different life experiences and views.

shop

Hi Guys,

Yes Diabetes is a pain in the bum!! But I do think that there are alot of people with other illness/conditions who are alot worse off. I suppose though that I have the luxury of saying that because there is not that much else wrong with me! We all have individual situations and its all relative.

I do find though that if I do feel a bit fed up I will usually see someone less fortunate and it makes me really appreciate what I have!! I often say its my mum giving me a kick up the backside.

If however someone is in a really bad situation and part of that is depression then sometimes it can just make them feel worse because then they feel bad for feeling bad! ( if you know what I mean. ) Because of this, I feel it is important never to make someone feel as if their bad time is insignificant, because to them it is very significant. You have to be in a pretty good place to be able to appreciate how lucky you are.

Lucy.xxx

shop

Paul1976 said:
We're all going to see things different on this subject.we can only comment through our own take on things and experiences,I have diabetic complications but in my life right now,it's the least of my problems and compared to some people I've met-I'm blessed in comparison.
There's no right or wrong on this subject-only different life experiences and views.

I agree Paul xxx

desidiabulum

shop said:
Paul1976 said:

I agree Paul xxx

Me too! (you were one of those i had in mind when I wrote that only the *majority* of articulate forum members were T2...)

Defren

Paul1976 said:

Spot on!!

I actually appreciate being diagnosed, and don't feel bad, sad, deprived at all. Being diagnosed with diabetes made me turn my life around, it made me think about my life, my diet, my weight and what I was doing to myself. I don't even see it as an inconvenience any more, I know pretty much all I can eat safely, what I will not eat again. I know I can't just accept that I am diabetic and shrug my shoulders, I must work with my body and keep on top of the condition. However, I also appreciate without diabetes, I would not be as light (weight wise) as I am, I would not have the super healthy diet I have now, and my fitness would not be at the level it is now.

I appreciate that as I have no complications it's easy to view things this way, but as Paul said, we can only put our own spin on things, and for me, diabetes is my friend, I don't hate it or resent it at all, I am actually grateful for my diagnosis. Mad? Maybe I am, but as I am exceptionally proactive in my condition, maybe not as mad as seeing diabetes as a friend may first appear!

Paul1976

Dislikes
Great post Jo! :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree we can only look at things from a personal perspective.
Most of the time I feel well with diabetes but I'd rather not have it. I was glad when it wasn't the pancreatic cancer I feared.
On the other hand, I hate the everlasting circle of doctors appointments (under a proactive system, far more than in the UK ), I dread the results of all those eye tests, kidney tests, arterial scans and other tests I didn't used to have before D, except for pregnancy,I'd almost never visited the doctors .
I'm not too fond of sticking a large needle in my body every 2 days to change the cannula on my pump ... it can hurt! Pre diabetes I could run a half marathon on water alone, not now (sorry Borofergie) I have to be aware of glucose levels all the time. I've just swum 500 metres and come in with a glucose level of 2.9, I hate having to correct that and having to explain it to my doctor. Contrary to some peoples beliefs ,I also take huge care about what I eat and that gets me down sometimes eg I haven't risked a restaurant chinese meal since diagnosis. (not the only thing, I now hate Christmas meals)
So diabetes does affect me . Nevertheless, apart from the odd whinge as above, for me , at the moment it is manageable and preferable to many other conditions,but what really worries me is the future.
I can manage my diabetes now but what about the future. Sadly good Hba1cs don't seem to make one immune to all complications My greatest fear is when I see my parents with the multiple problems of old age ( between them Parkinson's, heart disease, degenerative arthritis) This scares me because if I follow in their footsteps then it won't be just diabetes and I won't have the control I have now.

ShyGirl

desidiabulum said:
Whoa people -- I think there are two valuable but different and distinct points being made here:
1. T2 successfully controlled diabetes (especially when controlled just by diet and metformin) is a bother and damned inconvenience, but pales before many many other conditions and this is worth remembering to keep a proper sense of proportion.

I'm sure it's a "bother" for you and others on here who have smooth lives and bodies that react well to metformin but that's not the case for everyone. As for the lack of support...It's not nice bursting into tears during tests because as usual you've no one comforting with you and fitting in so many appointments- I had two last min ones last fri and tomorrow-isn't just a "bother" to some of us either.

I find low carbing a misery. It makes my IBS worse , leaves me hungry and there's just not enough food choices for me due to being vegetarian and other issues I have but it's how I have to live so i accept it even though physically I feel worse.

I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack it :(

Paul1976

Dislikes
ShyGirl said:
I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack support :(

THAT'S NOT FAIR and completely untrue!! No-one has said it's an easy disease!

Defren

ShyGirl said:
I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack it :(

It may well be bizarre to you, but it certainly isn't to me. However I am not you, you are not me, I am speaking from a personal perspective, that I see diabetes as a friend. I could say I find your attitude to your diabetes bizarre, but I accept we all view our condition differently.

I don't understand why you question the support nature of this forum simply because people are speaking of their own experiences. I actually find that quite sad. Like I said, I have no complications and am highly pro-active in my conditions management, so I do feel a lot of benefits from the changes I have made, I am sorry your other conditions makes dealing with your diabetes more difficult. No one wishes that on anyone I'm sure. I also find it highly unfair you think the forum lacks support, when I have read you getting some of the very support you say is lacking. There are a lot of low and ultra low carbers here, but many people who are not so ridged about carbs, there are very few people who don't offer support, and those who don't universally don't no matter if the person asking for support is low carb or not.

Joanna.

Status
Not open for further replies.