OU course

loopyloo

Hi all.

Was just wondering if anybody on here had completed the course on diabetes offered by the open university.
I have only just come across it, don't know if its a new thing or if its worth the money.

Lindsey

bbsue

Hi lindsey yes i have done the course you are talking about i would recomend it to anyone interested in diabetes i learned alot from the course hard work but worth it

sue

loopyloo

thanks for your reply sue.

Glad you got alot from it.

I'm still thinking about it as it does seem an awful lot of money. Shall investigate further. :)

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi bbsue,

I've just finished a OU course in Human Nutrition. I enjoyed it very much but found a lot of the information quite at odds with what I've read and discovered about diabetes.

For example, that there's no link between starch, sugar and diabetes or obesity! I found this hard to accept and rationalise in the End of Course Assessment.

What was your experience like? Did you find your prior knowledge of diabetes (don't know if you're diabetic?) helpful, or at odds with the course materials? I suspect I'd find much in the course I wouldn't agree with and I'm in two minds whether to sign up.
I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

All the best,

fergusc

bbsue

Hi fergustc and lindsey first of all i am a type 2 diabetic i did the level one course Diabetes Care and i found it very helpful i also got alot of feed back from the forums with fellow students i have also just done understanding cardiovascular disease and am awaiting my results but i found that very hard as i have no prior medical knowlege and i think it would of helped.
i have been looking at the nutrian course and also the one on obesity might have ago in sept
and to you Lindsey i agree it is a lot of money but in a way i am lucky i have not worked for several years due to ilness so i didnt pay for my courses but even if you are working dont be put off because you can apply for alsorts of grants for higher education even if you are in employment it just depends on your total income anyway good luck sue