fruit juices

bigo

Hi all, what fruit juices are acceptable to drink? Tomato juice with nothing added is my favorite but not sure if its doing me any harm. Many thanks :) :)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fruit juices depend on an individual's BS reaction to them.
Tomato and vegetable juices I find ok. Berries are ok but only about 25g juiced at a time to make about 150ml. Orange, pineapple, mango etc rocket my BS. I can't drink grapefruit and cranberry because of the meds I take.
Hope this helps.

Caleb Murdock

Probably most fruit juices will be too high in sugar for a diabetic. V8 and tomato juice are fine, but probably most fruit juices should be avoided. If you want a fruity taste on your tongue, get a fruit-flavored dietetic drink.

Fruit and fruit juices have an additional problem that many people have overlooked: they are high in fructose. Fructose (I have been told) does not register on glucose monitors, yet it can cause neuropathy. Thus, your monitor might tell you that your glucose is low, but you'll still have fructose in your blood that is causing problems. That is also why high-fructose corn syrup should be avoided. (I was told all this on another forum. If it is incorrect, someone please tell me.)

Snodger

Caleb Murdock said:
Fruit and fruit juices have an additional problem that many people have overlooked: they are high in fructose. Fructose (I have been told) does not register on glucose monitors, yet it can cause neuropathy. Thus, your monitor might tell you that your glucose is low, but you'll still have fructose in your blood that is causing problems. That is also why high-fructose corn syrup should be avoided. (I was told all this on another forum. If it is incorrect, someone please tell me.)

Fructose is absorbed into the body a little more slowly than glucose, but it's still carbohydrate. I'm not sure if that is what you mean by it "causing neuropathy". It doesn't cause neuropathy by itself - high blood sugars cause neuropathy - but if your body can't process the fructose fast enough then you may get high blood sugars.
As far as I am aware, high-fructose corn syrup has lots of fructose in, but it also has lots of faster acting sugars in as well, and THAT'S why it should be avoided.

Grazer

Yeah, all fruit juices are high in carbs. You can, however, get fruit DRINKS that are great with low Carb/sugar levels. Cordials like Robinsons "no added sugar" (orange, orange and mango) are very low carb, and in Sainsburys you can get No-added-sugar cranberry juice DRINK that is only about 2 grams carbs per 100, compared with fresh or concentrated orange which is about 20.

sandy2011

(edited)
Caleb Murdock said:
Fruit and fruit juices have an additional problem that many people have overlooked: they are high in fructose.

I read that in terms of sugar, fruitose is "sweeter".
Before I was diagnosed with T2 I used to eat a lot of fruits and even after that my doctor (and many books, sites) still recommended fruits and fruit juices (ok to make and drink fruit juices, not buy). Only when I started to measure my blood sugar that I found most of the fruits I ate raised my readings very much. I have stopped eating fruits for now, temporarily, until I can figure out which fruits don't raise my BS too much. Now I only can eat avocados and sometimes strawberries but a very limited amount for the latter: 4 at most / time.

Dr. Berstein's Diabetes Solution 2007 edition page 153, No-No's in a Nutshell, said:
Fruit and Juices:
- All fruits (except avocados)
- All juices (including tomato and vegetable juices - except for some people, in a small Bloody Mary)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said be very careful with fruit jiuces and always read the label. Any sugar in them is rapidly absorbed. I have no sugar added blueberry and or cranberry at breakfast which is quite low sugar. The ASDA version which I use has quite a high juice content compared with some others which is good for flavour so again, read the label.

Terminator 2

Well, well, well, I drink fresh OJ often with my main meal and have never gave it a thought.

Hmm, looks like a rethink is needed on that one. :|

Grazer

Terminator 2 said:
Well, well, well, I drink fresh OJ often with my main meal and have never gave it a thought.

Fresh OJ is 20 grams of carbs per 200ml glass, "of which" all 20 grams are sugar. 4 teaspoons of sugar in a glass! I have a small (100ml) glass in the morning because I can't survive without it!

Terminator 2

Grazer said:
Terminator 2 said:

Fresh OJ is 20 grams of carbs per 200ml glass, "of which" all 20 grams are sugar. 4 teaspoons of sugar in a glass! I have a small (100ml) glass in the morning because I can't survive without it!

Well I was thinking after I posted what am I fretting about my BG isn't reflecting that, having said that its only a small glass most probably in the region of 100ml like yourself.

I'll bear it in mind, all knowledge is good ...except when its bad.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
sandy2011 said:
Dr. Berstein's Diabetes Solution 2007 edition page 153, No-No's in a Nutshell, said:
Fruit and Juices:
- All fruits (except avocados)
- All juices (including tomato and vegetable juices - except for some people, in a small Bloody Mary)]

A perfect example of why I would never follow Bernstein's advice, I eat fruit every day and still manage to stay in the 5% club with just metformin. I usually eat two sometimes three pieces of fruit a day including, green apples, oranges, strawberrys, rasberrys and occasional bananas and small amounts of grapes too very occasionally. The thought of never eating fruit again is too dire to even contemplate :D

Don't touch juice though I did after diagnosis till I tested before and after and saw what it did to my bg, in fact I used to drink OJ to reverse hypos when I was on insulin.

As a general rule of thumb any carby food stuff that is processed ie juice will hit your bg harder and faster than the whole fruit will.

Caleb Murdock

Sid, if you are managing your diabetes with metformin and eating fruit ever day, then you still have a lot of pancreatic function left. I eat sweets every day, but I have to inject insulin to do so.

Just a couple observations on this topic: berries in general are lower in carbs than other fruits. Strawberries or blueberries with cream and artificial sweetener are delicious, and any diabetic should be able to eat them (except the most extreme low-carbers). Also, fruit juices are a highly refined food. They often use filtered white grape juice as the base, and that is very high in carbs with no fiber. What you get out of a bottle or carton (except perhaps orange juice) is likely to be strained and pasteurized and have little nutrients or fiber.

I admire those of you who drink o.j. every morning. I can't keep a carton of o.j. in the house without drinking it immediately.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I have recently changed from caffeine free diet coke to fruit juices. I have a particular liking for Feel Good Kids fruit juice.
Previously I was substituting fresh fruit for carbs in my diet and my BG went down. I tend to alternate with a carton of juice, followed by a bottle of water. Fruit juice may not be ideal for a diabetic, but as I don't drink tea or coffee and water alone can be a bit boring, I don't see much alternative.
Some diet drinks affect my IBS and some of them give me a hangover the next day.
You could always dilute your fruit juice with water. I sometimes do a 50/50 fruit juice and water.

irishlass37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What about watered down fruit juice..I take a regular oj, half fill the glass, then top up with water, you still taste the oj or juice, but it weakens the overall effect on your body ?

A

Anonymous

I have done the watered down route but really, all juice spikes me too much.

And that's the point really - we need to test our reactions to these things and not rely on the packaging or what we've been advised. Time to get the meter out and test.

oakdaledave

irishlass37 said:
What about watered down fruit juice..I take a regular oj, half fill the glass, then top up with water, you still taste the oj or juice, but it weakens the overall effect on your body ?

I do the same or sometimes top it up with soda water or tonic water (LOW CAL), nice if you want a bit of fizz!

C

chris lowe

Like Irishlass37 I have about 100ml of juice (I tend to buy the chiller cabinet not from concentrate juices as opposed to the cartons in the drinks aisles) and dilute to about 200ml with water. You can till taste the juice and I don't find it spikes me too much, but we're all different and what suits me might not suit another. The only way to check is to test after and see how it affects your bg levels. As with most things, it's down to portion size and frequency. I wouldn't drink juice during the day, only at breakfast. The rest of the time I drink coffee, herbal tea and no added sugar squash.

desidiabulum

I junked all my fruit juice for good the first day after diagnosis. :cry: If you have to live on the edge there are more enjoyable things to get a spike from...

SouthernGeneral6512

Grazer said:
Yeah, all fruit juices are high in carbs. You can, however, get fruit DRINKS that are great with low Carb/sugar levels. Cordials like Robinsons "no added sugar" (orange, orange and mango) are very low carb, and in Sainsburys you can get No-added-sugar cranberry juice DRINK that is only about 2 grams carbs per 100, compared with fresh or concentrated orange which is about 20.
I thought my days of drinking orange juice were over I'll need to give that a try