Insulin Passport!

shop

Hi Guys and Gals!

Just thought I'd mention some info given during my DSN appt today. It seems us insulin users are now going to be issued with an insulin passport. We are to carry it with us at all times and it is to be used if a medic is either involved in administering insulin ( in hospital ) or makes a change to your insulin.This is to ensure that if any change is made to our insulin by a medic it has to be documented on the passport. We have to list the correct name of the insulins we are taking and the device used to inject them. Whether it be Basal Bolus or a Mix.

The leaflet that came with it was quite detailed in the problems that go wrong if a medic doesnt administer it correctly. There were actual examples.

One of which stated that a medic had misread a u for a 0 and where it said 4u of insulin they read it as 40 units of insulin and gave the patient 10 x more insulin than they should have been given.

I was very surprised but it gives us the knowledge and control for our own needs should an occasion arise.

Has anyone else been told about this?

I was also warned that in sometime in the future my practice may try to move me on to a more affordable meter. I have recently been given an expert meter to help me with my BG control in conjuntion with carb counting.

I am very lucky that my DSN is very helpful and informative.

Lucy xxx :)

l0vaduck

Interesting idea, but it seems to be based on the premise that it's the medics who are in charge of our doses.

I've been in charge of my doses for the last 20 years!

shop

l0vaduck said:
Interesting idea, but it seems to be based on the premise that it's the medics who are in charge of our doses.

I've been in charge of my doses for the last 20 years!

:) So do I intend to for the next 20 yrs :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Lucy...
If you're meaning the hospital passport this has been available for a while and it does have a section in
where you can tick the choices of your "who" administers your meds/insulin etc...
Where you wish them to be kept and when times needed to do you're insulin therapy.
These are to take into hospital and keep by your bed for hopital staff to read and refer to.
However an insulin passport - I havent yet heard about ... ?
If you have new relevant info on these , please share with us all.
It sounds useful and can be helpful to know and learn more about these.
You are lucky to be so well supported by you're DSN , she sounds great ! :)
Anna.

shop

As to the meter change just tell your surgery the meter you use is part of your treatment plan, end of story.[/quote]

Thats what my DSN said :)

shop

anna29 said:
Hello Lucy...
If you're meaning the hospital passport this has been available for a while and it does have a section in
where you can tick the choices of your "who" administers your meds/insulin etc...
Where you wish them to be kept and when times needed to do you're insulin therapy.
These are to take into hospital and keep by your bed for hopital staff to read and refer to.
Anna.

Hi Anna,

Its is titled an Insulin passport! The booklet that came with it is titled Diabetes: insulin use it safely. My DSN explained that the main reason for it is that there are so many insulins Humalog ( Bolus ) Humalog mix 50. Also different presentations: Vials, Pens, Cartridges, Prefilled pens etc. It does say that the best think is for you to be in control of you own meds which is common sense but who knows one could be in hospital to ill to take proper control. Also stresses checking meds when prescribed by medics etc.

I did also look it up on Google and it does explain everything. ( I havent got a clue how to do a link sorry )

You keep the passport with you at all times and any changes to the type of insulin or way that it is given has to be documented on the passport. My DSN also told me to tell my practice nurse to tick a box on the computer to say that I have an Insulin Passport.

I hope this helps!

My DSN is fantastic, he has really helped me ( Guess I am one of the lucky ones :) )

Lucy xxx

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also been given the insulin passport as well as a leaflet on driving with diabetes. I think diabetics are being unfairly targeted by the NHS to reduce costs. I have also been told by my GP that I have to use a Nexus meter which is not a good meter as it reads much higher than other meters which in turn causes you to use too much insulin as a result. The GP told me in no uncertain terms that this is the only meter that she will prescribe test strips for. On further research I have found out that you can actually insist on remaining on your current meter so I have written to my GP requesting that she change my prescription back to my original one. So far she has chosen to ignore my request and I am forced to use the bad meter.

Anyone else out there being told you HAVE to change your meter, know your rights. It is up to you whether or not to change. If you like the new meter then thats great, if not insist on keeping your current meter.

shop

antmos said:
I have also been given the insulin passport as well as a leaflet on driving with diabetes. I think diabetics are being unfairly targeted by the NHS to reduce costs. I have also been told by my GP that I have to use a Nexus meter which is not a good meter as it reads much higher than other meters which in turn causes you to use too much insulin as a result. The GP told me in no uncertain terms that this is the only meter that she will prescribe test strips for. On further research I have found out that you can actually insist on remaining on your current meter so I have written to my GP requesting that she change my prescription back to my original one. So far she has chosen to ignore my request and I am forced to use the bad meter.

Anyone else out there being told you HAVE to change your meter, know your rights. It is up to you whether or not to change. If you like the new meter then thats great, if not insist on keeping your current meter.

Hi Antmos,

I think that you are right there it is about reducing costs. Which I can partly undertsand. I do think there is a very big eye on diabetics at the moment.

Lucy. xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
shop said:
Hi Guys and Gals!

Just thought I'd mention some info given during my DSN appt today. It seems us insulin users are now going to be issued with an insulin passport. We are to carry it with us at all times and it is to be used if a medic is either involved in administering insulin ( in hospital ) or makes a change to your insulin.This is to ensure that if any change is made to our insulin by a medic it has to be documented on the passport. We have to list the correct name of the insulins we are taking and the device used to inject them. Whether it be Basal Bolus or a Mix.

The leaflet that came with it was quite detailed in the problems that go wrong if a medic doesnt administer it correctly. There were actual examples.

One of which stated that a medic had misread a u for a 0 and where it said 4u of insulin they read it as 40 units of insulin and gave the patient 10 x more insulin than they should have been given.

I was very surprised but it gives us the knowledge and control for our own needs should an occasion arise.

Has anyone else been told about this?

I was also warned that in sometime in the future my practice may try to move me on to a more affordable meter. I have recently been given an expert meter to help me with my BG control in conjuntion with carb counting.

I am very lucky that my DSN is very helpful and informative.

Lucy xxx :)

Hi shop :wave: It would appear to be a good idea, but I remember someone on this forum ( I think it was this one) that said when they were admitted to hospital none of the nursing staff took any notice of the passport, maybe it will jog someones mind :? The experience wasn't good at all :thumbdown: So glad you have a great DSN :thumbup: Best wishes RRB

iHs

Unfortunately, Humalog Mix (biphasic twice daily) and Humalog (bolus) are clear liquid in appearance so it could be very easy for members of the nursing prof and some drs as well to not realise the difference and write the correct insulin all that clearly and mistakes have been made where the bolus has been injected instead of the biphasic....... some diabetics have ended up needing a glucose drip put into them. I'm sure that if the diabetic had given the injection themselves using their own insulin pen or vial, this type of mistake would not happen.

I would like to think that most diabetics who use insulin will be able to manage their own insulin needs in hospital and I for one would not be happy to have a nurse give me xxxu of bolus 3 times a day and not know how much carb I would need to eat to balance that amount of insulin out. I have got the Insulin Passport from last year and have signed it that when in hospital I will take care of myself with insulin as I definately would not need third party assistance unless I was on sliding scale and was not awake.......

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
shop said:
antmos said:

Hi Antmos,

I think that you are right there it is about reducing costs. Which I can partly undertsand. I do think there is a very big eye on diabetics at the moment.

Lucy. xxx

I have to say I agree as well, it is very worrying. My doctor or dsn better watch out :thumbdown: if they try any cutbacks on my diabetes care and needs. It makes me wonder what changes will happen, even in a couple of years time :shock: its frightening lucy. Best wishes RRBx

neil0907

Dislikes
Five times a day injections as I can't get on with a pump due to my job.
antmos said:

I've been told I have to use a Caresens N meter by my doctor because the test strips are £2.00 cheaper a pot which I'm not happy with. I seem to be having more hypo's now than with my old Onetouch verio meter plus the strips seem to give more error messages so I'm using more strips than usual so I don't see any savings there. The thing is I'm having to jab my finger some times twice which is no joke as my fingers are sore as hell.

neil0907

Dislikes
Five times a day injections as I can't get on with a pump due to my job.
antmos said:

I've been told I have to use a Caresens N meter by my doctor because the test strips are £2.00 cheaper a pot which I'm not happy with. I seem to be having more hypo's now than with my old Onetouch verio meter plus the strips seem to give more error messages so I'm using more strips than usual so I don't see any savings there. The thing is I'm having to jab my finger some times twice which is no joke as my fingers are sore as hell.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
shop said:
anna29 said:
Hello Lucy...
Anna.

Hi Anna,

Its is titled an Insulin passport! The booklet that came with it is titled Diabetes: insulin use it safely. My DSN explained that the main reason for it is that there are so many insulins Humalog ( Bolus ) Humalog mix 50. Also different presentations: Vials, Pens, Cartridges, Prefilled pens etc. It does say that the best think is for you to be in control of you own meds which is common sense but who knows one could be in hospital to ill to take proper control. Also stresses checking meds when prescribed by medics etc.

I did also look it up on Google and it does explain everything. ( I havent got a clue how to do a link sorry )

You keep the passport with you at all times and any changes to the type of insulin or way that it is given has to be documented on the passport. My DSN also told me to tell my practice nurse to tick a box on the computer to say that I have an Insulin Passport.

I hope this helps!

My DSN is fantastic, he has really helped me ( Guess I am one of the lucky ones :) )

Lucy xxx
Hi Lucy.
This has helped - many thanks for the information.
It is a great idea :D I agree it will safeguard any misinformation or confusion with types of insulin and dosage and times of
therapy being used and done.
It will be more empowering for future patients being able to self inject using their everyday routine insulin therapy
with confidence just as they would do in their own home.
If unable to self inject then the information given in the passport would act as correct guide for the medics to implement
when needed.
Small changes like this are for the better giving patients dignity, respect, control whilst living their lives and if in the
event of any hospital admission(s)
Anna.

lesbow

yes i have just been given a passport i started on insulin on monday, you also put all of your meds on the passport and keep it with you at all times