Low Carb options on East Coast Trains

BeccaJaneStClair

Recently, I travelled by rail from Lincoln to London. It's something I do fairly frequently, but I hadn't in quite some time.

I had caught an early train and hadn't had time to eat much before I left so I headed for the dining car....

to find nothing but carbs and high sugar items. Booo. I wound up ordering an egg and tomato bap and not eating the roll, and so I sent a tweet to them:

@eastcoastuk you need some diabetic friendly breakfast options! #diabetes

And I got the following reply:

@annaonthemoon Good point and thanks for raising it. I'll pass your suggestion on to our catering team. Cheers

So, my thought is that if we send out more tweets to companies like east coast trains....the more suggestions they get, the more likely it is that they will follow through on it!

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be fantastic if places had a low carb selection. My worry is where would they get the information from for a diabetic friendly choice. I suspect they would follow the NHS guidelines and produce a low fat/high carb option. :cry:

Ann

MaryJ

Hi Beeca

Youve spurred me to contact morrisons and tesco (I've been meaning to for ages)

Both (and prob all) are guilty of no low carb choices in their 'quick lunch - near front of shop' sections. Unless you want a pack of 2 boiled eggs.

Mary x

BeccaJaneStClair

On Tuesday, I was visiting a friend and changed trains in Nottingham. I had to walk into town to the Marks & Spark's food hall to get anything to eat that wasn't loaded with carbs and/or sugar.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Thanks for the original post. You spurred me on to contact arriva trains Wales on lower carb food choices on their trains - the trolley is full of sweet high carbs things. They replied quite quickly stating that they would pass on my request to the catering team.......I'm not holding my breath! Who knows though - if we all start writing to various companies we may get somewhere eventually.

MaryJ

I got a call from tesco this morning - very quick

she advised she would pass on my comments to the suppliers - like riri not holding my breath but if enough of us comment who knows!

Mary x

BeccaJaneStClair

Exactly! You never know what will happen! I've also talked to Lincolnshire Co-Op about their lunch options -- all the salads seem to have white pasta in them, even regular ones, so hopefully they will change things!

Ashleigh

the fact that all of Tesco salads have pasta rice or noodles in has been peeving me for some time, and ive been meaning to send an email about it - i shall get round to it today!

i did send one before asking for a better range of atkins products, specifically, the shakes - and they now stock them, so there is hope :)

MaryJ

I also got an email reply from Morrisons advising they would pass my comments to the products dept

Mary x