anyone on Victoza

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I am 62 and have been diabetic for just over 18 months. It has been a nightmare trying to get my blood sugars under control, and I was put on insulin in June. the Dr is now talking about a new drug called Victoza, but the side effects sound a bit daunting. Just wondered if anyone has tried it.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi cathie51.
I am using the insulin and victoza diabetes control therapy.
Victoza is an GLP1 enzyme it acts as a pancreas helper - stimulates and mimics the pancreas
enzyme(s) .
It can cause nausea with some persons, I have to say I havent experienced ANY of this...
So luckily it totally agrees with me and am happy in continueing to use it alongside my porcine
animal insulin.
Usually they start you off a 0.6mg dose for first 2 weeks then go up to an 1.2mg dose.
Finally the 1.8mg dose if you can tollerate it well.
It also has the mechanics of being an appetite suppressant so you will feel much fuller after
eating a tiny portion of food.
Each person is unique and victoza effects some people but certainly 'not' all persons...
This combination works well with myself - finally bringing my blood sugars under control
after them being out of control and extremely errattic for far too long.
I work well with my victoza on 1.2mg dose plus my porcine animal insulin split dosed 20/20 twice daily.
I eat tiny food portions and low carb happily as this is what does work for me.
Why does your consultant wish for you to try victoza ?
Anna.

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
Hi Anna
Thanks for your input. I am being put on to Victoza to try and minimise the amount of insulin I have to take. I had a rare reaction to Metformin and it put me in hospital so I am on sitagliptin and glipizide now but it they arent doing the job, so I am on insulin as well. Because of being on steroids a lot over the last few years I have put on a lot of weight. I am now on a small maintenance dose, so the Victoza is to try and stop me putting on any more weight and even lose some. I was very concerned about the sickness as the Consultant did rather stress it as the major side effect.

I am pleased to hear that it has worked so well for you, so I will keep my fingers crossed that it does the same for me.

Cathie

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi cathie51.
What symptoms did you have with your rare reaction to metformin?
I ask this out of curiousity as I was tried with ALL differing types of metformin formula's... :thumbdown:
Each one caused EXTREME violent nausea however the disolving in water formula put me in hospital with
acidosis I was literally choking on acid !!!!
This is when my diabetes consultant and diabetes care team realised they were dealing with someone with
poor medical intolerances.
It was after all of this they talked about putting me on victoza as I was tollerating sitaglyptin [januvia] well
despite it not making a "dent" in my high BG levels...
Am tiny in frame 9st 6lbs it was agreed to give this a try and 'BINGO' we hit jackpot !!!
I actually tollerated it very well so after 6months insulin was added to it.
Took me some time to find the right insulin as I reacted to levemir with site lipos injection site
inflammation reactions.
Victoza does act as an appetite suppressant and actually helped me with both my BG levels and my
diverticulitis bowel disease. As the tiny portion control lessened the flare ups of this!
We have agreed and understand it is necessary for me to remain on this combination of therapy
due to my severe medical intollerance, which was too risky for me given the acidosis attacks
I experienced.
Please do let me know how you find starting the victoza therapy I would be interested and am
keeping my fingers crossed for it to be successful for you .
Anna.

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
Hi Anna
It was acidosis which put me in hospital too, I was unable to function could just about walk, barely talk, and thinking was out of the question. My body just went into meltdown. my BG levels were up in the high 30's and my HbA1c was 89.

I am due to start on Victoza after I get back from holiday so it won't be until the end of September at the earliest. I will be staying on the insulin to begin with but a reduced dose. Hoping to be able to come off it eventually.

Cathie51

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
hello, re: victoza i was on it for about a year, never felt sick, didn't suppress my appetite, got my readings down to a fabulous level-then it started to level off and wasn't working so well and readings crept up was on metformin slow release at the same time.. finally i pretty much begged my gp for insulin as i didn't want my readings to continually be high, i actually had been requesting insulin for about a year, to help protect the cells i had left.... so finally i'm off victoza and started lantus today keeping metformin as well so that's my 2cents on victoza.. ps didn't ever like the idea that a side effect could have possibly been cancer.