laser treatment and retinopathy

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
hi guys

I have recently had 1 session of laser treatment to both eyes for retinopathy, the doctor said i was fortunate it waS early stages and i needed to get my bloods under control. my hba1c has come down from 11.8 to 7.5 and i was told that was good, i had my laser treatment in england and was told i would need a follow up appointment in 3 months, but i then moved back home to scotland and i got a retinal screening appointment through and i explained i had laser surgery and i have now got a letter through to say the reults show some changes and i have to got for another appointment to speak to an eye doctor.

Im so worried everyday and i cant sleep at night, my huband is in afganistn and im so worried i wont be abkle to see him wen hes home and my life will be rewined, im really trying to fix this and have managed to loose some weight.

does anyone have early eye problems and does the treatment work, im not sure if they just want to speek to me or if there is more treatmnent needed i just hate the not knowing and the waiting game. Just wish i would have listened when i was younger and would have controlled my diabetes when i was a teenager.

sorry to rabble on,

thanks
amanda x

MaryJ

Hi Amanda

Rabble away my dear, we've all done it and will continue to do so lol.

I don't have eye problems but just wanted to say try not to worry, it could be as simple as different systems in the 2 countries.

The best thing you can do is control the things in your power (BG levels) and try not to stress because annoyingly that can also put your levels up. I know that's more easily said than done.

You've had brilliant results in bringing your BG levels down, well done. Keep doing what you've been doing it's obviously working.

Someone more experienced with eye problems will be along soon.

mary x

Unbeliever

Hi Amanda, As you have already had laser treatment i should think the hospital might want to keep an eye on you , at least for a while . That is a good thing - means that any further problems can be picked up more quickly and sorted .

Reducing your HBA1C so magnificently may have actually been the cause of your eye problems and keeping it more stable will probably mean the problems will soon clear up .

,I ave not got EARlY eye problems , I have been having treatment for more than four years and have macular oedema but the important thing is that , in spite of everything I can still see.

One sessio of laser is sometimes enough to solve the problem - posters on here can tell you that from their own experience.

My problems arose from my levels coming down too quickly through the treatment i was given.

I doubt very much that you have a great deal to worry about from what you have said but of course, you are already anious and could do without the extra worry.

I hope all goes well for you and your husband.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try not to worry Amanda although I know it's easy said than done. Difficult to say if you'll need further laser surgery or not, if you do it's in your best interests and they won't just laser your eyes for the sake of it.

I've had laser treatment on a few occasions and had a vitrectomy in one eye some 7 years ago, I still have good vision in both eyes and the DVLA issue me with a 3 year licence after undergoing a field vision eye test, your doing the right thing getting your diabetes under control although lowering it too quick can have an adverse effect on the eyes in people with diabetic retinopathy (were you told this?).

Again try not to worry and sit tight and await your appointment and see what the consultant says, good luck!

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
thank you everyone, your comments have helped me alot, i know what i need to do now to keep myself healthy i just hope its not too late and have a good future ahead of me. its great to talk to people who understand, thank you all. im scared of having a bad vissible bleed in my eye as we never know what to expect. least i will be able to talk to the doctors if i get an appontment soon and hopefuly get some answers.

Can you still have chldren with these types of problems as me and my husband would like to be parents at some pont in the near future, but think i would just worry and bring on more complications, which is a shame as all i have ever wanted is to be happy and have a nice house loveley husband a normal job and a few children, silly disease.

Hope everyone s ok and all keeping well, its a shame what we have to put up with but we gotta be strong, xx

amanda x

SouthernGeneral6512

noblehead said:
Try not to worry Amanda although I know it's easy said than done. Difficult to say if you'll need further laser surgery or not, if you do it's in your best interests and they won't just laser your eyes for the sake of it.

I've had laser treatment on a few occasions and had a vitrectomy in one eye some 7 years ago, I still have good vision in both eyes and the DVLA issue me with a 3 year licence after undergoing a field vision eye test, your doing the right thing getting your diabetes under control although lowering it too quick can have an adverse effect on the eyes in people with diabetic retinopathy (were you told this?).

Again try not to worry and sit tight and await your appointment and see what the consultant says, good luck!
I'm not sure if the laser you had was the pan retinal but I often wonder what the vision is like after 1 session of this since it's what I've been offered but turned down :sick:

Unbeliever

It depends on tthe individual and can be different at different times. Laser improved my vision and did not affect my peripheral vision in the main. Only once did I eperience a few weeks where my colour vision was affected for a few weeks. Everything
appeared to be yellow.
For the most part the risk of not having it is probably greater than that of having it.

SouthernGeneral6512

That's interesting I never knew it could actually improve vision ... how was your night vision and did it affect your sharp vision in the middle of the retina?