Left hand gone numb

JP83

Hi all,

Firstly I apologise if this is a regular topic or obvious question, but it's got me a little concerned.

I woke this morning to find my left hand and in particular three of my fingers feeling numb, as though I had slept on my hand. I've been up for a few hours now and the feeling hasn't returned or improved at all which is a bit worrying as in the past this sort of thing would have passed after a few minutes.

Just wandering if anyone else has experienced similar and whether the feeling will return. I'm only recently diagnosed so surely it's too soon for nerve damage, unless it's damage from pre diagnosis? My BG levels have been steadily improving, my 30 day average is 6.7mmol/L and my 14 day average is 5.4mmol/L so not excessively high (I don't think).

I'd be interested to hear whether this is a common complaint or cause for concern. Thanks, Jon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something similar? Yes I suppose so even though I am type 2. I have some numbness in my little fingers and sometimes I have doubtful feeling in the one next to it. Recently I have had some burning sensations in my forearm. The arm is normal for the most part unless stressed into some attitudes or if it touches something (like banisters) in a certain way then it might feel as though I have been stung.

These things have been with me a while and, no, they are not going away.

To describe the degree of it. I was walking down the garden one day and my cockerel was beside me. I looked at my hand and there was blood on it. Turned out the nice cockerel had taken a lump out of the little finger and I never felt it. Oddly, the next time I saw the pharmacist she asked if I had experienced any numbness in fingers or toes.

Let me know if yours gets better. It will encourage me.

Kirbster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jon,

Can I ask what fingers in particular have gone numb? If it's the thumb, forefinger, middle finger, and the inside of the ring finger then it may be carpal tunnel syndrome. I've suffered from this so am fully aware of the symptoms. If it's not those fingers then sorry, I don't have a clue but would recommend you getting it seen to if the numbness persists. Hope you're okay!

Erin

A

Anonymous

I sometimes suffer from numbness in my left hand too, turns out i had strained my neck a little without noticing it..was given anti-inflammatories for it and the feeling went after a couple of days...

Might be a good idea to talk to doc even if its just to reassure you

Sharon :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sharonmac said:
I sometimes suffer from numbness in my left hand too, turns out i had strained my neck a little without noticing it.Sharon :)

You have reminded me that I had some neck trouble some time ago. I must move about a bit during the night because I always woke to find the "luxury" pillow squidged up against the headboard and my neck under stress. I bought a sculpted pillow which solved the problem at the time.

Now you have reminded me of that I would more readily believe that my numb fingers have nothing to do with diabetes and more to do with a twisted neck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
JP83,

May/may not be diabetes related, if it's still bothering you now then I suggest you let your gp have a look at your hand.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi JP, agree with all above, could be diabetes/neuropathy related or it could just be that you have a trapped nerve, I had something similar some years ago before my diabetes diagnosis and the numbness stayed in my hand for around three months and then just went as mysteriously as it had appeared, more recently my wife suffered the same thing so I guess its not that rare.

See your GP and see what she/he thinks.

And good luck, I hope it is nothing serious.

JP83

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. It's my little to middle finger that are affected, they're still numb, although not so bad as this morning. If it persists I'll do as suggested and visit the medic, but fingers crossed it will just ease off on it's own!

I think I mentioned on my previous thread I'm based on a construction camp (in Senegal) and the beds here are like concrete and the pillows like logs, so it is quite possible I cricked my neck... what I would do for a duck feather pillow, anyway I digress!!

Squire, I hope the problems you've been experiencing in your arm and fingers begins to improve soon.

All the best...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks JP

I note that it is your little finger and the ones next to it which is the same as my case. You have uncomfortable bedding which is what started my problems off. I think we have a match here.

You would be amazed the stress you can put on your neck if it is not properly supported when asleep. I used to wake up with the pillow moved up the headboard, my head jammed against it and nothing under my neck which formed a sort of bridge. No wonder I caused a bit of damage.

Good luck with yours Jon.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens to me at least a few times a year and at worst has lasted a couple of days. It's always my middle finger to my little finger and I've been reassured that it's not to do with my diabetes. I agree that it's likely to be a trapped nerve in the shoulder. There's a spot on top of your shoulder that if you press down you can feel tingling in those fingers and it's usually the case that it's the nerve here getting trapped temporarily. Nothing to really worry about unless you don't regain feeling in the fingers.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Outside (little) finger numbness with the one next to it and possible some partial to the next is a classic indicator of Ulnar Nerve injury/compression. If the numbness then progresses into the same portion of the palm then that is the 2nd indicator probably pointing to the elbow where the Ulna Nerve passes through. If you have damaged your elbow or even caught it hard on something, I'd recommend you get it checked out PDQ. Leave it for too long and restorative surgery only has a 50-50 chance of a good repair.
Alas, I put it off until it was too late and my surgery failed completely :(

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jon,

I can appreciate you're concern about this being part of the dreaded neuropathy. I think it unlikely since you're newly diagnosed and seem to have an active lifestyle.

But subjective opinion aside, the nature of neuropathy is that it presents symmetrically - that is, it affects both sides of the body. Without corresponding numbness in your right hand, it's most likely something more localised.

I have a similar issue with my left foot and had to decide whether the tingling I felt was the first appearance of peripheral neuropathy or a damaged nerve caused by an old wound on my shin.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Belzedar said:
Jon,

I can appreciate you're concern about this being part of the dreaded neuropathy. I think it unlikely since you're newly diagnosed and seem to have an active lifestyle.

I think we should be cautious about saying what is and isn't likely when it comes to neuropathy. A newly diagnosed person might have had high blood glucose for years without knowing it. People can get complications early, it's not unheard of. I have early retinopathy and only had high BG for a year or so before diagnosis, which was about 1 year ago. The bottom line is to see your doctor to find out objectively.

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@CatLadyNZ

I think we should be cautious about saying what is and isn't likely when it comes to neuropathy.

Agreed, dear.

That's why I said that bit was subjective opinion. I'm not one to lecture other people. Trained as a psychotherapist, I take the view everyone is an expert on their OWN life.

desidiabulum

Belzedar said:
Jon,

But subjective opinion aside, the nature of neuropathy is that it presents symmetrically - that is, it affects both sides of the body. Without corresponding numbness in your right hand, it's most likely something more localised.

I have a similar issue with my left foot and had to decide whether the tingling I felt was the first appearance of peripheral neuropathy or a damaged nerve caused by an old wound on my shin.

Belzedar -- could you clarify about neuropathy being symmetrical? That 's not been my experience, but my neurophysiologist and endocrinologist are currently locked in argument about the causes of my neuropathy anyway.....

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Belzedar said:
@CatLadyNZ

I think we should be cautious about saying what is and isn't likely when it comes to neuropathy.

Agreed, dear.

That's why I said that bit was subjective opinion. I'm not one to lecture other people. Trained as a psychotherapist, I take the view everyone is an expert on their OWN life.

You might be trained as an psychotherapist but you are not a medical doctor and you need to understand that fact when you are posting in a forum like this. I will continue to courteously point out posts that stray too far towards medical advice, where I consider it's warranted.

JP83

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

I'm pleased to report the feeling in my fingers is mostly back to normal now, although I'm finding that when I lean on my left elbow or underside of forearm, at my desk or the dinner table my fingers go tingly/numb but are soon ok again when I lift my elbow/arm. Reading through all the comments it sounds possible and most likely it's a trapped nerve. I'll get it checked out when I'm home if it's still playing up and in the meantime try not to lean on my elbow too much!

Thanks everyone for your help. Jon

Herbie72

Got me worried about neuropathy, now, as my numbness and tingling is in both hands and arms. Just noticed this thread, so apologies for starting another so soon (about carpal tunnel syndrome)!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Herbie72 said:
Got me worried about neuropathy, now, as my numbness and tingling is in both hands and arms. Just noticed this thread, so apologies for starting another so soon (about carpal tunnel syndrome)!

Carpal tunnel syndrome can affect one or both wrists. Numbness and tingling in the arms and hands can be caused by many different things - it really is best to see a doctor about symptoms like this, whether there is diabetes or not.