advice please

jencrafts

I am on humolog injections 3 times a day and a basal of lantus at night. I cannot get my evening readings of blood level below 14_19 any advice please

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What are you eating for your evening meal and how much Humalog do you inject? How long after you have eaten do you test?

jencrafts

I was told to reduce hum log to 8 units at evening meal meal tonight a sausage jacket potatoes and very small salad then at 10.30 I take 28 of lantus .But I did have other medical issues and even after 3 yrs find my type 2 a nightmare thanks for replying

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be the jacket potato that is causing the high levels. The sausage and salad are fine. Try having a much smaller potato portion next time.

jencrafts

Thank you I will try its not often I have jacket potato but see what you mean after a spell of hypos 2.1 in a morning on waking to 3.8 it has frightened me to go to bed on a level under 14 I have spoken this over with medics but told more or less to get over it.my day level vs about 14 am 7_8 lunch then high at dinner

iHs

jencrafts said:
Thank you I will try its not often I have jacket potato but see what you mean after a spell of hypos 2.1 in a morning on waking to 3.8 it has frightened me to go to bed on a level under 14 I have spoken this over with medics but told more or less to get over it.my day level vs about 14 am 7_8 lunch then high at dinner

I'll reply to yr msg on this thread about yr fear of having nightime hypos. I understand exactly how you feel as I would not like to live on my own and go hypo in my sleep and not wake up to treat it..... but going to bed with bg levels of 14mmol will eventually lead you to getting some nerve damage so you do need to go to bed with lower levels.... like 8mmol for instance to start off with. As you are using Lantus... if you get up and test yr bg about 1.30am that will tell you what yr bg levels are and then you will be able to eat a biscuit if you are only slightly low or use some jelly babies etc if your levels are even lower...... You will eventually find yr ideal dose of Lantus by testing yr bg levels throughout the night and then you'll know what its effect is, and will be able to adjust the dose so that you wont have to eat any food in the night. In the meantime.... I think you need to look at adjusting yr bolus insulin correctly for the carb that you are eating so look at BDEC diabetes which is an online carb counting course using insulin to carb ratios... You need to adjust yr insulin to carb ratio so that yr bg levels fall ideally between 5mmol - 7mmol before you eat a main meal and then by using the correct ratio your bg levels should be about 8mmol 2.5hrs later returning back to 5-7mmol before yr next meal... Hope this makes sense and will help you sort yourself out using bolus/basal...