diabetes id

hi
I am mum to 11yr old boy who has been type 1 for a year now.We are coping really well and dealing with stuff as it comes up.As he is getting older and wants to spread his wings I think its time he wore a id tag but he wont.Any ideas for cool tags something like a dog tag most are bracelets and he definately wont wear them.Thanks

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Carole,
Im the Mum of a 10yr old T1 son also, he was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago. Glad to hear your going to give him a bit of freedom and i do agree its so important that they have some sort of id.We've been down various routes, and finally he now wears a trendy sos tailisman necklace, (when he remembers) But he does always go out equiped with a trendy bumbag, containing bs monitor, id, fully charged and creditited mobile phone, a snack, plus lucozade tabs. He did have a bracelet, which he hated as it irritated his arm, it did up with velcro, plus he had a dog tag, but it was over looked. Hope this is of some help,take care,
Suzi x

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sympathise with your son, I had a tiny pendant that said Diabetic and I hated it with a passion. Then I got an SOS bracelet, didn't like the feel of it on my right wrist, but on my left it got tangled with my watch and people asked why I was wearing 2 watches. The best I found was a watch attachment by SOS Talisman. It's like the ID capsule on their bracelets, but instead it fixes to your watch strap so is there automatically when you put your watch on. Doesn't tangle or irritate and its not an extra thing to remember to put on.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I read that in emergencies, a bracelet is less likely to be missed than a necklace. with our modern youngsters, I'd get something on a mobile phone.

dot

I wondered about broaching this with my 12 year old. He's been diagnosed for about 6 months, and is doing well, but HATES any sort of fuss.

I am inclined to think that he should wear some sort of ID, but how to suggest it without him blowing up.

How many grown diabetics have ID on them. Is it pretty universal?

Sorry, more questions

chrissieworne

Hi, i've got a medicalert bracelet, they have some lovely jewellry and also do sports wrist bands styles in all different colours and designs for girls and boys (camaflage, barbie etc)and dog tags too.
If you google medicalerttuk you'll find their site. On initial consideration it seems pricey BUT the membership fee (£25.000 includes them holding as much medical detail on computer as you want and the id tags have a ref no on and the 24hr 356 day a yr tel no, if you are found and cannot communicate whoever calls that numbers can access your next of kin and as much detail about your conditions and medicines as they need.

Has given me peace of mind as I have several medical conditions.

Hope thats helpful

Chrissie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I wear a bracelet.
It's stainless steel an I never need to take it off. On the "Plate", it has a red cadduceus symbol and my name and type 2 diabetes. On the back, I have ICE and my husband's name and mobile number. It's all very discrete, but should I be involved in an accident, It could protect me from over enthusiastic paramedics and glucose drips. I'd love a gold one, but it's beyond my budget.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Don't want to scare you off the idea, but I've had two incidents where my Medic Alert bracelet was completely ignored.

First time was many years ago on holiday in Spain with some friends. I passed out in the street, was rescued minutes later by my cohorts, but not before some kind person had STOLEN my watch and bracelet!!!

Second time was in 2007 when I had a hypo at the wheel of my car. The cops found me, dragged me out and proceeded to the police station, only diverting to the hospital when I started fitting in the back of their car.

Not terribly inspiring, but I do still wear a bracelet whenever I'm out and about, it might save me one day although it hasn't so far in 27 years...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I hope you spoke to the police segeant and told him how his officers had forgotten their training.
Hana

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Funnily enough within days I was officially warned that I may be charged with "driving without due care and attention". I countered with a formal complaint to the Chief Constable, giving full details of the incident, including the failure to react appropriately (I distinctly remember being breathalysed while still sat in my car, bracelet clearly visible on right wrist!). Never heard anything more about it. :roll: :evil:

mikey97

Hi I also have an 11 year old diagnosed last year,he wears a dog tag and on his phone on the contacts I have put I'm a diabetic with contact numbers.Also I have said to his friends if anything happens when hes out to contact me or ask someone for help,as we live in a small village everyone knows everyone.

jencrafts

If your son by any chance was taken bad wear I'd bracelet under sock round ankle and a note in a small wallet ankles are checked for I d in males and its not on view to his cool mates