Got talking to a woman in the docs.............

MaryJ

......... the other day.

We were be-moaning the ineffiency of the surgery (no doctor turned up). Her beef was that she went for her annual blood test to be asked " now you're a year down the line how are you finding being diabetic" - news to her aparently!

I didn't take long to get started

What type - "2"
What do you eat - "cut out sugary stuff"
Do you use the internet "yes"

I was away lol, how animated can one person be about a subject. I told her about this forum, mine and others successes. Told her about low carbing, how if we listen to the NHS re not testing etc we're on a one way road to complications.

The poor woman was only saved cos a doc turned up and shouted me in.

So, if you found your way here BIG WELCOME .

Mary x

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they're not going to like me today on my DESMOND course then...

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they really didn't like the fact that I had a meter and was testing... they were pushing the party line that people on diet control didn't need to test. I countered with how was I expected to keep my BG levels low to meet a HBA1c target if I was only being tested every 6 months or yearly... Didn't have an answer to that, just kept saying T2s on diet would only worry themselves if they saw high results with home testing as they wouldn't be able to lower them. I countered that it would enable you to know what foods had a bad effect on your BGs and to avoid them in future.

They kept going on about having to have a balanced diet with carbohydrates in it and cutting out the bad fats. Pulled the diet plate out and kept going on about the need to eat carbs with every meal to ensure your brain had enough glucose and that it wasn't coming out of the liver's stores.

They kept pushing the cutting down on bad fats line as apparently it was the fats that cause the "locks" to get gummed up...

They claimed my diet was not safe... I'm not ultra low carb, just cut down and changed to slow release types so there isn't so much of a peak in my BG levels.

got one possible convert though... told him to hunt down the http://www.diabetes.co.uk website for guidance on alternatives to the official diet.

There may be some fireworks in a fortnight's time in part 2 when they get onto lipids and why we have to cut down the bad fats in order to reduce our bad cholesterol figures... I'm going to shoot them down with some evidence that the so-called bad saturated animal fats are actually the best for us.

here's one for starters http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...enjoy-saturated-fats-theyre-good-for-you.aspx

Topsec

Paul,

We had a visit to the dietician the other week, hubby's hbA1C is down to 6.1 from 9.? earlier in the year so they are pleased with that at the surgery but his cholesterol is a bit high so they wanted him to talk to the dietician (surgery pretty impressed with his LCHF).

Dietician said his cholesterol was still a bit high so replace some of the 'fat' with benecol, use olive oil etc. Have to say I am not a Benecol fan but was OK for him to have the little drink things and I sometimes use the spread instead of butter.

Funny thing was a couple of days later the dietician called and said she had looked back through his records and even though his cholesterol was a bit high it was lower than it had been previously so she more or less told him to continue what he was doing!

It's a good job they didn't send him to a Desmond, they would have to tape my mouth up!! :shh:

sooz

"I countered that it would enable you to know what foods had a bad effect on your BGs and to avoid them in future.

They kept going on about having to have a balanced diet with carbohydrates in it and cutting out the bad fats. Pulled the diet plate out and kept going on about the need to eat carbs with every meal to ensure your brain had enough glucose and that it wasn't coming out of the liver's stores."

As a type 2 newbie I was surprised at the lack of testing and my 'diabetic professional' kept plugging the carbs with every meal so being the rebel I am I got myself a meter, started self testing and decided to give a whole grain cereal a test run last weekend which resulted in my sugar level going from 7 to 13.1...........is this healthy for me...........I dont think so!

I thank the heavens that I stumbled across this website, I have found the information on here far more valuable than anything I was told at my first meeting last week. Needless to say my first 'yearly' appointment coming up in 2 weeks is going to be interesting...for them as well as me!!!

Thank you everyone on here who posts information and recipes, you have helped me take control and stop being terrified!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's the kind of thing I do too
Hana

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
just kept saying T2s on diet would only worry themselves if they saw high results with home testing as they wouldn't be able to lower them.....They kept going on about having to have a balanced diet with carbohydrates in it and cutting out the bad fats. Pulled the diet plate out and kept going on about the need to eat carbs with every meal to ensure your brain had enough glucose and that it wasn't coming out of the liver's stores

I have my DESMOND full day class coming up this Monday.

I was diagnosed (firstly unofficially by myself- after having the unquenchable thirst and comedic number of trips to the loo symptoms in late March/ early April) by using clinistix urine test and Boots home DIY BG test kit in April: then officially by GP with formal HBA1c early May.

That HBA1c- blood taken 2nd May 2012- was 13.5 (124 in new money) :shock:

At the same time my other blood work from that test visit gave

* headline total cholesterol 7.0; 'good' HDL 1.05; ratio TC/HDL 6.6
* and a liver function ALGT/SGPT number of 67 (he wanted me to go for an MRI to investigate Fatty Liver disease!)

Throughout April and May I spent 80-90 hours researching on the internet- to the extent that I got a slightly bad mid-back and neck problem (gone but took a week away from the PC to unstiffen me) !

The GP immediately put me on 2000 metformin (500x4 per day): I instituted dietary changes (a 'low-medium carb approach' = maximum of 150g of carb a day/ no white flour based products / no added sugar products/ more protein) and exercise (aerobic stationary bike/ dumbbells in my lounge and increase walking in daily life e.g. stairs not lift/ walk not bus etc etc)

My first post diagnosis test results (blood taken last Thursday 3 months after original) were

* HBA1c = 6.4 (46 in new money)
* headline total cholesterol 4.4; 'good' HDL 1.29; ratio TC/HDL 3.4
* liver function ALGT/SGPT number of 32

Result?

Metformin immediately halved to 500x2 per day; statin halved to 20mg per day (this was my lowest set of lipid numbers EVER since my first test when I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 2003 and this is the lowest dose I have been on since 2006): both with a view to lower/ halt usage in 3 months time. Plus 'forget the notion of an MRI scan- your FLD has been reversed.' :thumbup:

I shall be telling the DESMOND people that I test 2/3 times a week- occasionally FG but usually post prandial especially if I have been out and had a larger than normal portion. I will also tell them that I tested a lot in the first month to gauge my bodies reaction to different carbs- I learned this way- for example- that no-wheat bread has only a modest impact as does brown basmati, as do low sugar-lo salt baked beans. But that potatoes- in various forms- and high cost premium squeezed orange juice give me a horrible spike that is not under control 2 hours later.

I shall also be telling them- and showing them via my iApp ("my net diary")- that both my saturated and total fat level intake has increased by 35% in the last three months; my protein intake has increased 20% and my carb intake has decreased 55%. Since January (when ironically I decided to go on a health regime- yep the low fat high fibre high carb orthodoxy!) everything I have eaten or drunk has been recorded. The hard facts are in that app. I have also lost three stone since April (starting pre formal diagnosis when I knew what was wrong).

I wonder what the excuses of the DESMOND team will be?!

I am betting "no wonder you have halved your A1c in 3 months- look at the amount of metformin you were on- if you'd eaten a balanced diet it would be even lower" / "if you had not tested you would have been less stressed and your A1c would be even better" :lol:

MaryJ

Hi Rob

What brilliant results

well done.

Your last paragraph made me laugh and I'm sure you're right lol

Mary x

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rob

You've done really well :clap: :clap:

Let us know how you go on with your 'MIS' information course :lol:

Ann

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Brilliant stuff written here !
Seems to me that WE should be writing NHS policy !
When will THEY wake up and stop supporting the food manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies ?

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic results Rob., just make sure you retain that sense of humour when they try to dismiss your results. It will be interesting to hear how they view your 'maverick' behavior. :D

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
RobsterinSheff said:
That HBA1c- blood taken 2nd May 2012- was 13.5 (124 in new money) :shock:

Can I ask if new money means eAG?

I have just asked for my hba1c result and was told the number is 126. I have found an a1c to eag conversion chart but the numbers dont make sense so I am still lost as to what 126 means exactly.

*edit* found a different converter on the diabetes uk site which makes a lot more sense, means my hba1c is 13.7 if I am understanding things correctly.

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
*edit* found a different converter on the diabetes uk site which makes a lot more sense, means my hba1c is 13.7 if I am understanding things correctly.

Yep- that tallies with my iAPP converter as well (and the one I was using for my own reading) - also the table that the GP used.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
eAG means estimated average glucose.
In the US and elsewhere they are giving this figure alongside the HbA1c figure, For various reasons the UK authorities think that it might not be an accurate conversion so aren't (yet) using this figure.
you can find your eAG (check that you use mmol/l and not mg/dl ) here
http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Brilliant stuff thanks very much both of you. That helps a great deal :thumbup:

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All this stuff is really amazing. You would never get all this information through the doctors. I am so glad that I found this site.