When to exercise

7of9raf

Hi Everyone
Before I was diagnosed if I went to the gym i found the best time for me was 6.30 ish in the morning. I would have a banana before I went and this would see me through the exercise until I had my breakfast at work about 8ish. Was diagnosed in Feb this year and didn't go back to the gym until the summer holidays. During the summer holidays I have been going to gym classes like body pump and spinning, i have had my breakfast around 8.00 and then taking the class at 9.30 and have been fine, on some occasions I have done a double class. Then the other week I had a personal trainer session at 9.00, i had my breakfast as usual around 7.30, 15 mins into the session I had my first hypo………so of course I am now a bit worried about going back to the gym. I go back to work next week and wanted to start going at 6.30 in the morning again but not sure i could face breakfast at 5am. Will a banana be enough to see me through exercise and then have breakfast around 8……..so confused. I am on metformin slow release 1000mg in the morning and 500mg with evening meal.

When and what exercise does anyone else do?

I was very bad at testing, my dr says to test before I go and have something to eat if it is below 5 does this sound right, i don't have much confidence in my dr's.

Thanks

Thanks

Fraddycat

Hi 7of9, I don't know about everyone but I can't tolerate bananas, I used to have a banana before going to the gym but now I have yoghurt or a skinny protein shake. Do you have testing equipment? Did you test after the hypo? If you don't have a tester I think it would be a good idea to get one.

7of9raf

Hi Fraddycat
Yes I do have a testing kit, but i didn't test before going to the gym that morning of my first hypo and then I left it at home that day :oops: I didn't realise that I was having a hypo but luckily I had told the personal trainer so that was her first thought. I could try a yogurt before I go…….this is just so confusing, I am also loosing weight following slimming world, so far I have lost nearly 3 stone since end of Jan, just got to try and fit going to the gym with work, kids and soon to be grand daughter. If i go to the gym in the evening 6-8 when do I eat dinner, and then I have had lunch at 1………

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
7of9raf said:
Hi Everyone
Before I was diagnosed if I went to the gym i found the best time for me was 6.30 ish in the morning. I would have a banana before I went and this would see me through the exercise until I had my breakfast at work about 8ish. Was diagnosed in Feb this year and didn't go back to the gym until the summer holidays. During the summer holidays I have been going to gym classes like body pump and spinning, i have had my breakfast around 8.00 and then taking the class at 9.30 and have been fine, on some occasions I have done a double class. Then the other week I had a personal trainer session at 9.00, i had my breakfast as usual around 7.30, 15 mins into the session I had my first hypo………so of course I am now a bit worried about going back to the gym. I go back to work next week and wanted to start going at 6.30 in the morning again but not sure i could face breakfast at 5am. Will a banana be enough to see me through exercise and then have breakfast around 8……..so confused. I am on metformin slow release 1000mg in the morning and 500mg with evening meal.

When and what exercise does anyone else do?

I was very bad at testing, my dr says to test before I go and have something to eat if it is below 5 does this sound right, i don't have much confidence in my dr's.

Thanks

Thanks
Hi 70f9raf,
I go to the gym 5 days a week, Im usually there at about 08.30am. For breakfast I have full fat greek yogurt, with a few strawberries, and almonds at about 7.30. After my workout I dont eat again until 12 or 1 pm with the exception of a couple cups of coffee. I used to play fooball, and when I got too old for that I started medium distance running, 5 and 10k runs. I'm now 53, and I really cant motivate myself to keep running those distances, so now my work out lasts 40 mins, and it entails power walking with intervals of high intensity sprints of a 1 minute each, then back to walking for 4 mins. I do this for 30 mins. I then do 10 mins on the spin bike, again at a pretty average pace, with 30 second sprints. These short bursts of high intensity training has been said to lower BG levels better than plodding along at a continous pace. Doing this workout, I actually enjoy going to the gym again. I find and easy, and less boring, and I can get in and out of the gym within an hour. I have never had a hypo, and I dont take medication.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I exercise 45 minutes to one hour after eating to knock back my sugar levels.

I find that cardiac work puts my levels up, but fast walking and aerobic exercise brings them down.

mrglut4

My uncle has diabetes.. he has gotten really weak as its been one year he has been suffering from it,.. is it good to do exercise during this disease???

Fraddycat

Hi Mrglut,

I can certainly say that exercise would help your uncle, exercise improves your weight, your energy levels and your glucose absorbtion. If your uncle's diabetes is not well controlled then he will be feeling exhausted. Changing diet and exercise habits will bring great benefits. Maybe your uncle should join the forum, we would be able to help him with any questions he might have.