Cocoa powder (to make a drink)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Quick question, is a small mug of cocoa (made with approx 1 teaspoon of powder) counted as a low (ish) carb drink?

Drink was made with full fat milk. Ta muchly.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Does it not give an indication on the tin Ladybird? Just add that to the amount of milk used to get the total carbs.

Or just drink a mug and test before and after, as Ive said many times for a T2 It doesnt really matter how many carbs are in any food or drink its what those carbs do to your bg levels, for some it may be OK for others maybe not.

SweetHeart

Bournville Cocoa Powder has 1g carbs per tablespoon. I use unsweetened cocoa powder in a lot of things and it doesn't spike MH's BGs at all. To make hot cocoa I mix a heaped teaspoon with double cream - or sometimes evaporated milk - mix to a paste and top up with boiling water stirring thoroughly.

Ju

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure Green & Blacks do a 85% cocoa powder which will be low in carbs, you could also use lactose-free milk which has around half the carbs as standard milk.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all.

This is stores own cocoa, came in a box which daughter managed to get soggy and then had to throw it out. :roll:

I don't usually go in for choc type drinks but just fancied this, was curious about the carby content, that's all. I can't really spare the strips for stuff like this Sid, I keep mine for the 2 hrs after dinner and the occasional morning test.

Thanks again.

l0vaduck

ladybird64 said:
Thanks all.

This is stores own cocoa, came in a box which daughter managed to get soggy and then had to throw it out. :roll:

I don't usually go in for choc type drinks but just fancied this, was curious about the carby content, that's all. I can't really spare the strips for stuff like this Sid, I keep mine for the 2 hrs after dinner and the occasional morning test.

Thanks again.

I make cocoa with soya milk. If you use the unsweetened kind it's quite low in carbs compared with cow's milk and tastes quite creamy (I don't tolerate creamy milk for some reason so there's no way I'd be making it with cream). I also add sweetener but that's just my taste. It turns out quite low carb and there are good things in cocoa!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Ladybird!

I find any make of cocoa OK in itself, but liquid sugar really spikes me badly, so the milk is a problem for me. I use either unsweetened soya milk or lactofree full fat milk - these help considerably with the spike. However, I also find that powdered Splenda raises my BG quite a bit whereas the Splenda tablets don't. I think you really will just have to experiment and test to find a combination that's right for you.

Make sure it is cocoa, though, and not drinking chocolate which is loaded with sugar!
Smidge

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Definitely cocoa Smidge..luckily I haven't got a sweet tooth as such!

PS- Congrats on going :mrgreen: !!