How long does it take....

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Depends what you've eaten, what you've eaten it with and even how you prepared it. Some things act very quickly (within minutes) and others act slowly over a period of hours. A simple example is the humble potato. If you mash it then it releases the starch which will make your levels rise rapidly and quickly but if you roast it then it will take up the oil you have roasted it in and that will reduce the rate it releases its starch.

The standard advice is to test two hours after eating a meal and see if you are under 8 as that's the recommended safety threshold. When I was first diagnosed I would sometimes test after one hour as well if I was suspicious about something new I'd added to my diet so as just to make sure it wasn't giving a massive spike that was disappearing before the two hour main test.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Interesting, so if I eat a chocolate (just one at a time as I do) does that mean I could spike high even though when I test in two hours or even 1 It is not high, I rarely now go above eight on the two hour test as I eat sensibly. Would that show in a Hb1ac test? Curious as I eat maybe two chocolates a day. If that is so this would get really silly you would be testing every few minutes to catch the spike, not something I am going to do but I am interested on the effect on the Hba1c tests.