Carbs in a Pint?

jameshallam

Anyone know how many carbs are in a pint of standard Lager (Fosters / Carlsberg etc.)
I remember reading somewhere it was about 7g - but I can't remember where and can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Also, there is never any nutritional info on the side of alcohol, v annoying!

Does anyone here inject (T1's) if they are drinking beer?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jameshallam said:
Anyone know how many carbs are in a pint of standard Lager (Fosters / Carlsberg etc.)
I remember reading somewhere it was about 7g - but I can't remember where and can't seem to find the info anywhere.
1 Pint Standard Fosters Lager.......12.49g carbs
1 Pint of Lager Average.............17.68g carbs.

There is much variation between Lager's......anything from 0.00 to 6g per 100 ml. As there are 568 ml in a Pint that would make that one.......a whopping 34.08g carbs per Pint.....Kaliber. :shock:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi James,

We had a look at this before in this post; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10388&p=98652&hilit=booze#p98652

But I would say to take those results with a pinch of salt; the Guinness issue is interesting as it is the only beer type drink that I know that doesn't raise my blood sugars (I'm Type 1); although from the list it's very high. I know Ken is a fan and he says it doesn't do much damage to his blood sugars either.

I wouldn't take insulin to counter the carbs in alcohol as alcohol is renowned for dropping blood sugars.

If you are near to a Co-Op they do own brand lager and the 'medium' strength one which claims to be Dutch or Belgian or something also claims to be only 2.2 carbs per can. That's the best score I can find for lager.

With me though I tend not to go there, although I would very much like to, as it's just too much carb.

Vodka Martinis it is then...

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

StewFox85

Ive been a type 1 diabetic for all of 4-5 months now but didnt know about it till a week or so ago, my A1C count was at 19% when they tested me, so being knew to this im full of questions, such as does Alcohol really lower blood sugars? as said in above conversations? this has really peaked my interest... Thank you very much

bedshaped2000

the lowest lager ive found is coors roughly 1.8g of carb per 100ml so 1 can is 5x1.8 = 9g of carb per can. ive found if you drink this on a fairly empty stomach your levels will drop and stay low for a while. if you eat carbs with it you will go high and then drop. i think the lower the carbs in the lager the quicker the alcahol will hit your blood stream. hence why you need about 6 cans of fosters or calsberg to get any buzz from the alcahol because the carbs come first. maybe thats why they are always on offer in the supermarkets. i stick with a few whiskeys now so i no there is no risk of going high just low which i can cover with a carby snack

Ashleigh

this probably isn't much help to the OP but others might be interested, lambrini light doesn't have any carbs at all. it does taste ever so slightly of sweetener at first but is ok after that. i suppose that's only good if you like sweet wine, but will be my drink of choice come new yrs etc from now on.

Grazer

I'm not an insulin user, but I am an enthusiastic student of alcohol. My beer of choice is Coors Light. It's full strength, but 1.7 grams carbs per litre. That's roughly 9 grams carbs per pint, about half that of the average lager. You can get it draft in some places too. As a T2 on diet only (plus minimum metformin) it only drops my BGs because the alcohol effect more than compensates for the carbs. Not such a drop as I get on whisky though which of course has zero carbs like all spirits. Just a note; someone said Lambrini has zero carbs. I've not looked, so they may be right, but I'd have thought it unlikely. All alcohol has carbs to start, which get brewed out more as the alcohol content gets higher. I checked, and ciao.co.uk says it has no cabs, but weightwatchers says it has 2.8 grams carbs per 125 ml glass, which sounds more realistic. Yahoo answers says the same, but other sites say zero again! Whatever the true amount, I expect that again the alcohol content would negate the carbs, but I would repeat I'm not an insulin user.

Richard.arkle

I visit Australia from time to time and they have a number of low carb beers. Some are better than others, research purposes only you understand!

Have a look at this link http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/diet-fitness/australian-drinkers-duped-by-low-carb-beer/story-e6frf019-1225968536795

Also
http://www.productreview.com.au/c/low-carb-beer.html

Cheers Richard

Ashleigh

the lambrini light is low alcohol. I'm pretty sure it says on the back that it has no carbs but i could be wrong.

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
According to the popular book on this subject, "Carbs & Cals, a visual guide to Carb & Cal counting -for people with diabetes" -

Draught lager, (No particular brand mentioned) is 8g per pint (574ml).
Stout, (No particular brand mentioned) is shown as 9g per pint.

Hope that helps.

Malc.

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grazer said:
Hmmm, not sure where they get that from Malc. Here's a good site for beer
http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
You'll see that figures are for 12 ounces, just over half a pint, and normal lagers as I said are much higher than that. Stouts are worse, from 24 grams up.

Hi Grazre,
Mmm? that's strange...
This is the book that I referred to, although on my copy it states "in association with Diabetes UK." in the top right-hand corner...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Carb ... 470&sr=8-2

I'm sure that this book has been mentioned in other threads as being 'recommended'...
Sorry for the 'apparently' misleading information.

Regards, Malc.

fishingfiend

Also, there is never any nutritional info on the side of alcohol, v annoying!

Does anyone here inject (T1's) if they are drinking beer?

Wanted to mention Black Sheep Ale. When I looked up the carb content it was 0g. Tasted alright too!

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wanted to mention Black Sheep Ale. When I looked up the carb content it was 0g. Tasted alright too!
Hi, I just looked up black sheep ale on fatsecret and it said it was 17g per 12oz.:(.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly. it'll never be zero.
That is a problem with myfitnesspal.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Sadly. it'll never be zero.
That is a problem with myfitnesspal.

Myfitnesspal is a bit of a loose cannon isn't it? If you click on the Black Sheep Real Ale link you get this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/13487138

So, er 339 grams of carb per pint. Shurley shome mishtake?

I think I just have to not drink beer; I can't find any that does not shoot my blood sugars up however much I wish it.