Any Ideas re 10K problem

Cosy

I am about to walk a 10K on Sunday which I have done many times before. The problem is my bowel problems are 'dodgy' at the moment and I dont know if I will get round without the suddeness of 'needing to go'. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can stop this happening short term. I did try SR Metaformin but it made no difference so I am back on the ordinary Metaformin. I am seriously thinking of not doing the race but feel that is me giving into this Diabetes ! As the day goes on it settles down but morning is the 'dodgy' time and the race is 9.30am. Thanks for any advice anyone has :oops:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kaolin from your pharmacist. I was slow in my reply because I know that you can get it in tablet form but for the life of me I can't remember the name it is sold under.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Imodium is NOT Kaolin...

Imodium contains Loperamide Hydrochloride and works in a completely different way to Kaolin. You can also get generic capsules of Loperamide Hydrochloride from various supermarkets and chemists far cheaper. No need to pay for Imodium's marketing budget...

If you want the Kaolin, then get thyself to a pharmacy and ask for the Kaolin and Morphine version. The morphine hydrochloride cuts the cramps thus slowing passage down allowing more time for fluid to be re-absorbed back through the gut while the kaolin helps to firm things up.

Loperamide Hydrochloride has the same action as the morphine hydrochloride in the K&M mix

Mind you, if they're doing urine testing on this 10K, then don't use the K&M mix... :)

sallylondon

Immodium (the ones that melt on your tongue and do not need water) for me every time. May take you a couple of days afterwards to get back to normal though! :roll:

Ashleigh

i have bowel problems, but mine is brought on by carbs/wheat etc so before a race i avoid those foods more than normal and dose up on immodium.

Ashleigh

the sainsburies version are better than the Tesco ones but I've noticed that both my local stores have stopped stocking their own brand ones and are only selling the immodium ones - annoying as the own brand are about 75p and immodium are £3+

Cosy

Ashleigh

Yes, I have been overdoing the carbs recently and find this makes things worse, having a problem getting back into the swing of things.........I will try from now till Sunday to low carb and have a go at the Immodium, dont want to make the Immodium a habit so need to get my carb/wheat sorted. Thank you :)

desidiabulum

Why not just skip your Metformin for 24 hours? You blood sugars will be shaken up with all that exercise anyway. Immodium does the trick, but it is not a healthy option, especially if you have bowel problems already. I'm reliably informed that some diabetic musicians who are on Metformin skip it before a concert and then lower carbs afterwards to compensate...

Cosy

Well I was not sure if I could miss out the Metformin like that, never done that before. Just thought the Immodium as a one off would be okay. I will play it by ear see how I feel on Saturday and take it from there :)

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Cosy. I'm an endurance distance runner & have many races that last for several hours. I take metformin & have the same issues. Don't worry too much as there will be loos on the route but I now take steps to avoid the problem completely. I don't take metformin the day before or on the day of a long race. It won't do any harm and your body will love the excercise too and probably happily use all your sugars on the day of the race without any need for meds. Don't take the anti diarrhoea tablets as the side affect is tiredness. I've been caught out with these & my legs felt like lead half way through a race. I find also coffee & milk are contributers so I have porridge for breakfast with water & drink only water on race day. Don't touch those energy or sports drinks. They are full of sugar and caffeine. You need to try these things out in advance of your race. Good luck. You will be fine:)

Cosy

Thank you everyone, unfortunately I am not going to be able to do the race. I have been feeling rather unwell all week but put it down to a pill I take once a month for osteperosis but I now feel lousy dont know if it is the start of something. I think I would be silly to do the race much as it is the first time in 10 years I have not done it ! My daughter does the 1/2 marathon so I will 'hold the jackets ! ' lol. I have had to go to bed and sleep every day this week I dont know what is wrong with me, I dont know if high sugars is affecting me. I have just retired this week, think the retirement carry on is exhausting !!! :D