Alternative Site Testing

andrew_333

I'm to be given a blood glucose meter next Thursday, though I don't know which one. I hate the idea of finger pricking and would prefer alternative site testing, and I will probably need a differnt lance. If anyone uses AST can they recommend a good lance? THANKS! :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you get a meter that allows alternative site testing it normally comes complete with finger pricker and little plastic attachment to use for alternative site testing.
(you can buy finger prickers separately but they are relatively expensive by themselves)
Different meters allow different areas to be tested so you should check the instruction book.
This link is from a US source but does include some info about the pros and cons and a list of alternative sites that can be used with different meters.
http://www.diabetesdigest.com/article/A ... -Facts/391

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I mainly use AST. I use the Accu-Chek MultiClix but I wouldn't recommend it. It has been discontinued and mine has broken twice. I think the best pricker for AST is the Abbott Freestyle one. AST are harder to make bleed and the Abbott one does it well without being too painful. It will take most lancets but I find the Abbott ones best for AST.