Low carb milk shakes

Maddiemo1

Hello. I'm fed up with trying to find something for breakfast I like. I'm really fed up with eggs bacon etc. I was wondering if it's a good idea to have milk shake. Low carb. I don't want to loose weight just want something I can enjoy. If not for breakfast for lunch. Can anyone recommend a good one?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Whitby Jet ... Thought of you with this one! :D
Any ideas with this ? :idea: :idea: :idea:
I too - love milkshakes , so would love to know if there is a wonderful way to enjoy
one of these without doing damage to the blood sugars!
I have had a wander through recipes forum and cant find anything.
Am bumping this post up also hope we get some great suggestions...
Anna.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Atkins shakes are ok, cheaper to buy from Boots online. Failing that what about whey protein shake from myprotein, you can add berries to it and whip it up in a blender. You only add water to it, makes it very low carb. But try adding some coconut milk in it and some icecubes.
Good luck.

Fraddycat

I have a skinny shake for breakfast every day. I bought it from Amazon (just search for Skinny Shake) I tried the strawberry one but I think I prefer chocolate. I make it with 250 mls of Soya Milk and 150 mls of cold water - if I just make it with water its not filling enough. It normally keeps me satisfied till lunchtime at 5.5 carbs.

Fraddycat

I just saw an ad for Almond Milk on the TV, I might try that next time. Maybe it has less Omega 6 than Soya Milk

Fraddycat

yep, they're the ones. Bit expensive but I really enjoy them (probably somewhat cheaper than an Atkins shake though)

Fraddycat

A quick recce shows me that Alpro Almond Milk is sweetened with sugar (2nd biggest ingredient) and therefore loads more carbs than unsweetened soya milk. I might try Holland and Barret for an unsweetened version.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often have iced coffee. Lactofree milk, double cream and sweetener. Using the same cream and milk mix you could use sugar free crusha or any other sugar free syrups or try bunging it in a blender with a few berries.
Add lots of ice. Yummy.

Grazer

I use lactofree milk and sugar free strawberry crusha from sainsbury's. The crusha is effectively zero carbs, so you only get the carbs from the lactofree, which is about half that of normal milk.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Ace !!!
Am off to sainsburys tomorrow!
Thanks Grazer :thumbup:

paragliderpete

Hi I use whey protien mixed with cream and water to make a shake. adjust the ratio of cream to water to give a different thickness for your shake.
If you use double cream and whey protien and whip it up you can turn it into a pudding.

I use optimum nutrition gold standard whey, if you buy direct they do a great range of flavours not available in the supermarkets.

Ps Not very good if you are trying to loose wgt. Luckily I want to gain a few pounds

mrglut4

Use Diet coke or Low calorie sugar.. There are sweetners available in the market which do not contain any sugar but taste just like it.. I use one of those in my shakes

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
123Jo123 wrote
Sorry new to this but just looked up sugar free Crusha and it said it had 9gm carb per 25ml of syrup ?????

You may have found out the answer to this by now, but 25 ml of sugar-free Crusha will provide 0.05g of carbs.
The remaining 8.95g (per the Crusha nutritional information on the bottle) will come from the milk it's added to.

Milk is not a carb-free luxury, unfortunately :(

Geoff

Grazer

librarising said:
123Jo123 wrote
Sorry new to this but just looked up sugar free Crusha and it said it had 9gm carb per 25ml of syrup ?????

You may have found out the answer to this by now, but 25 ml of sugar-free Crusha will provide 0.05g of carbs.
The remaining 8.95g (per the Crusha nutritional information on the bottle) will come from the milk it's added to.

Milk is not a carb-free luxury, unfortunately :(

Geoff

Geoff's right. If you read the bottle carefully, you'll see the carbs of the crusha is too little to bother about, and the figure of 9 grams carbs comes from "mixing with 175mls of milk". If you mixed with lactofree instead, you'd halve that number.

rtee

Fraddycat wrote
A quick recce shows me that Alpro Almond Milk is sweetened with sugar (2nd biggest ingredient) and therefore loads more carbs than unsweetened soya milk. I might try Holland and Barret for an unsweetened version.

Just for your info I bought "Blue Diamond Almond Breeze UNSWEETENED" from tesco last night.
100 ml = 29 cals
carbs 0.4 0f which sugars 0.1
fats 1.2
chol 0.0

Tried it with a commercial shake this morn (really good) and also have tried in coffee (& it's ok.)
I often make a shake with whey powder, a few berries, a little yoghurt and either coconut milk/water. Will use almond milk now I've found it!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

Alpro do an unsweetened almond milt, too. You just have to check carefully that you pick up the right one. I haven't tried it though!

Smidge

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Strawberries, full fat greek yoghurt, splash of cream, water (yup, water) and blend with a few ice cubs.

Job done.