Protein Shakes Safe?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
As far as I know bud and ive been training for 5 years in June. Try to find a low carb shake. I know protein can effect sugar level as well but see how it goes before injecting more for a shake as your sugar level will drop a few hours after a weight training session anyway.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm a T2 (low-carber) and I drink them all the time (mainly to support my running, but also as a breakfast replacement).

Most of them are pretty low-carb, I drink chocolate Sci-Mx GRS-5, which is only about 2.5g per serving.

Some people suggests that Diabetics should be careful of too much protein in case it affects your kidneys, but I don't think that there is very much good science behind that claim, and lots of anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise.

bonerp

i find scrambled eggs can increase my bgs a couple of hours later so that would indicate to me protein can affect you - or me any ways :D

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I forgot to add, avoid argos and holland a barret muck, lol. You don't have to spend £50/£60 a tub on big brands either such as PHD but these are good. You can save money buy using brands such as myprotein / bulkpowders. :)

~all the best!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beav said:
I forgot to add, avoid argos and holland a barret muck, lol. You don't have to spend £50/£60 a tub on big brands either such as PHD but these are good. You can save money buy using brands such as myprotein / bulkpowders. :)

~all the best!

+1

I made the mistake of buying some Holland and Barret Banana Flavoured Whey Protein, and I can't finish it. It tastes chemical and digusting.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I forgot to add. What is your diet like? The key to seeing muscle is losing fat. This is done by diet/cardio! :)

cricketer

Ooops read your post too late and got some "York All in one" which is protein and creatine from Argos... was reduced to £11 which was mainly why I got it! Doesn't taste great but will see if I get any results.

As for diet im vegetarian but eat fish and eggs etc, not eating great atm as am at Uni but am trying to eat better...

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
The best protein powder to use is Soya not as good as whey for building but the health benefits are numerous and far outreach the whey proteins on the market.I am 58 years old have been weight training for 34 years. I won the NABBA WALES + NORTH WALES in 1990 theres nothing i haven`t used in the bodybuilding game.........but after a scare { hypo coma } was in hospital for a week 15 years ago and was told in no uncertain terms what the outcome would be, i changed everything around i still weight train 5 days per week ,after each session i make a drink consisting of strawberrys,blueberrys, half a bannana,1 raw egg,2 desert spoons of porrige oats,1 scoop of Soya Protein and water to mix.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
humaject said:
The best protein powder to use is Soya not as good as whey for building but the health benefits are numerous and far outreach the whey proteins on the market.I am 58 years old have been weight training for 34 years. I won the NABBA WALES

Are you not worried about phyto-oestrogens in soya? I wouldn't mind a six pack, but I could do without the accompanying boobs...

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
borofergie said:
I'm a T2 (low-carber) and I drink them all the time (mainly to support my running, but also as a breakfast replacement).

Most of them are pretty low-carb, I drink chocolate Sci-Mx GRS-5, which is only about 2.5g per serving.

Some people suggests that Diabetics should be careful of too much protein in case it affects your kidneys, but I don't think that there is very much good science behind that claim, and lots of anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise.

As a Type 1 with Stage 4 CKD I cannot touch these!

Lorna

mrglut4

Proteins shakes are safe to some extent if the sugar levels in your blood do not get too high if you are at initial stages.. or else dont even think about them

stumac0127

I checked with my diabetic Doctor at the hospital he said as long as your kidney function was ok then a high protein diet was fine, So I would check that first! I lost over 2 stone of fat and gained some muscle on a high protein low(er) carb diet. 14.8 to 12.5. You cannot cut all your carbs like some diets/exercise plans for non diabectic's say. You also need to test more when training. Before in the middle an after. I found different exercise made massive differences to my BS. One day I could start at 8 then hypo. Others start a 8 again the go up to the high twentys. Good luck with your training.
Ps don't forget to get your kidney function checked!!

A

Anonymous

I've been using the Precision Engineered brand instant milk and egg protein from Holland and Barrett (Red tub) - it's 1.2g carb per serving which is a lot lower than the last one I bought. That's still 9.5g carb if I make it with milk.

I'm going to need to buy some more this week - has anyone got any suggestions that are equally low carb? This one is quite sweet but it doesn't list what the sweetener is though it hasn't caused me any problems. I haven't tried making it with water yet.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
swimmer2 said:
I've been using the Precision Engineered brand instant milk and egg protein from Holland and Barrett (Red tub) - it's 1.2g carb per serving which is a lot lower than the last one I bought. That's still 9.5g carb if I make it with milk.

I'm going to need to buy some more this week - has anyone got any suggestions that are equally low carb? This one is quite sweet but it doesn't list what the sweetener is though it hasn't caused me any problems. I haven't tried making it with water yet.

Recipe for a safe protein shake:
Put some steak and some cream in a blender.
Drink.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
swimmer2 said:

Drink.

:lol:

AMBrennan

Drink.
I thought the point of those shakes was both price (not that you could tell from the high street prices, but whey protein is basically industrial waste from the cheese industry) and logistical convenience (I can keep a tub with a month's supply in my cupboard, which would be difficult to do with steak...)

I'm not sure that blended steak would satisfy either requirement. :twisted:

GlazedDoughnuts

Im using protein powders from myprotein, my kidneyfunction was recorded as normal.

The protein powder i use does have some fast carbs but it also has rolled oats. 20 of mixed carbs per serving. I have two shakes per day and add 70 grams of rolled oats to both. I increase my insulin slightly.

I find post exercise my blood sugar level is perfect :)