Can you swim?

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
I can swim, but have to be honest, I find it really boring. Just swimming up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and............ ok you get the picture! :shock:

I want to enjoy it but just can't

l0vaduck

I can probably swim better than I can do most physical challenges, but I can only do breast stroke. I have trouble fitting it in around work though. All summer I've been going twice a week for half an hour and although I agree with Stevie that it can get tedious, I enjoy the feeling of wellbeing afterwards so much that I look forward to going. I shall miss it when I go to work next week. Although work has a gym, it doesn't have a pool, and there isn't one nearby.

ShyGirl

Stevie2tone said:
I can swim, but have to be honest, I find it really boring. Just swimming up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and............ ok you get the picture! :shock:

I want to enjoy it but just can't

You might as well say walking is boring or dancing! You can always wear some budgie smugglers or a mankini to shake things up a bit.
That would liven up swimming sessions for others anyway :)

A

Anonymous

mrglut4 said:
now i dont like swimming

neither did I 18 months ago but I absolutely love it now. I spent 6 months trying to avoid it and then it got easier and more fun and I get cross if I can't do it.

keepinglean

Unfortunately, I haven't learn swimming since I was a child maybe because I am afraid from drowning. Study shows that swimming is one of the best exercise you could ever have. And is one way to maintain physically fit, and keeps you sexy as well. Swimming is also a best physical activity for people with diabetes.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Love it. Looooooooooove it. L O V E I T. :D

I learned to swim very very badly when I was about 10 years old. I would go to the local pool and huff and puff, take in huge gulps of air and struggle to get from one end to the other. Then I'd have to hang on to the edge of the pool to recover my breath. That went on for years and I didn't enjoy it at all.

Then when I was 50 I went swimming one day with a determination to get to the bottom of it - I was sick of watching other people effortlessly going from one end of the pool to the other, having conversations with each other!!!

So I stopped swimming, stayed in one section of the pool and just began PLAYING in the water and EXPERIMENTING with movements. Lo and behold I discovered that swimming takes little effort at all and that if you just keep still in the water and breath NORMALLY IN AND OUT, it will hold you up.

We have a brand new leisure centre which is bright and airy and I now go 3 times a week if I can manage it and I do my own swim strokes, I doggy paddle, I wiggle from side to side like a fish, I do a modified backstroke and roll from side to side like a whale. I don't OVERDO it, I don't OVERSTRETCH, I don't think about burning calories but I get a good, gentle workout which keeps my joints supple and my muscles working and which I thoroughly enjoy. I can spend an hour or more in the pool now without stopping moving and that's something I never thought I'd ever be able to do.

Once I've got my BG under control I'm going to give the gym a go but I intend being gentle with myself. :)

Jakjo

I used to swin and wondered if I could still. Just recently I did and it went well (was worried I would sink like a brick) but great from of exercise which presents no pain.