Do you ever treat yourselves to bad things?

Philip99

Do you all ever treat yourselves?

I have been diagnosed for 4 weeks approx, and have not had a single item that would fall in the pudding category, and even only 1 slice of bread to see what happens to my readings.

What I am asking is, do you occasionally have that bowl of cheesecake, or slice of cake, or not?

I dont mean "healthy alternatives" like the greek yogurt and berries thing, I mean full fat knacker treats. eg in a reataurant for a special occasion etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never sweet things really but were I to indulge in a special treat then it would be a packet of XL Cheese Crisps or a Steak Pie.....btw I'm type 1 on insulin :)

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to a Family Celebration next month and for the first time since diagnosis I shall be eating food that I know will have my sugar levels soaring. It will be a one off occasion and I have no intention whatsoever of testing until the next morning.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............ the pate and toast, the Beef Wellington, the Lemon Chiffon Pie and Ice Cream. I can taste the carbs even now. :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yes, I do . . .

I'm Type 2, Metformin plus low-carb diet. I have already lost 60lb, and have about the same to go.

For example, my brother visited last week. He now lives in Berkshire, where he maintains they can't make fish 'n chips, so we always have them when he comes here. I had a fish (with batter), a small chips, and mushy peas. BG 2 hours later, 5.8 (very pleased with that!)

The following night we went to our favourite restaurant. I had a half-slice of bread, a few potatoes, and then ice-cream for pud. I've never been one for sweet things - 40 years of failed dieting saw to my sweet tooth - but just this once! Death-by-Chocolate and Vanilla Honeycomb. I'd have had treacle sponge but I was too full :shock: I was asleep before the 2 hours were up to test.

The weight loss is the key to this. I'd not have got away with either meal 18 months ago. My normal Atkins-based diet has given me such good BG control, and I believe rested my pancreas to such an extent, that I can get away with the occasional "treat".

Note "occasional". If I was to do this once a week I'd soon be back where I started. Every 4 weeks is not occasional; twice a year is!

As a good friend of mine would say - I intend to be buried with my eyesight intact, my kidneys working, and both feet still in place. A woman locally, younger than me, had her leg amputated 6 weeks ago. Uncontrolled diabetes. No thanks! It's not worth it, for a pudding.

Having said that - today's lunch is going to be a bowl of strawberries, sweetened with Splenda, and thick Jersey cream. It's a hard life! :wink:

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely. Usually a nice (big) chinese for me. But I make sure to test before and after, just to make sure I feel suitably guilty afterwards.

And ONLY if I have been exceptionally good at home for a while.

You need a bit of what you like for your sanity - it can be a great motivator, too.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
For the first few months after diagnosis I was a Saint. No bad things passed my lips. But then I fell off the wagon, big time.

I have learned that if you go back to eating bad foods for 3 months, your blood tests can show poor kidney function for the first time in your life. That was scary.

I am now trying to figure out an eating plan that I can live with, that will be best for managing diabetes. Its not easy.

Grazer

I don't have treats, other than special low-carb varieties I make myself. For me, it's a bit like smoking. Kid yourself that one fag now and again is ok and you're soon back on 20 a day. I have a few more carbs (like a bit more basmati rice in an indian restaurant, and maybe a small chapati) if I have some alcohol, because I know it will offset the carbs. But I avoid the real treats like batter and puds because I don't want to start remembering how good they were again!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I really try not to. I'm kind of a black or white guy. I don't do shades of grey (especially not 50 shades).

It's easier for me to stick to the rules when I know exactly what they are. The good thing about the ketosis thing is that you really need to be in it all the time - bouncing in and out makes it more difficult.

If I do slip, I tend to beat myself up over small things, like eating an apple, or maybe eating a biscuit on aeroplane that has like 15 carbs. I realise that these are really, really small, in the grand scheme of things, but it stops me from the bigger transgressions like eating a whole packet of Chocolate HobNobs.

To be honest, I think I've broken the hold that carbohydrates had over me (and almost everyone else). I don't really desire them that much.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just wish people would stop bringing in sugary cakes etc. at work for their birthdays... never a healthy option, always doughnuts and mini-muffins etc.

cracked and had a doughnut the other day... didn't actually affect me that much so must be getting my insulin sensitivity back having lost some 24lb since diagnosed back at the end of April..

Mileana

I do now and then. I have an absolute weakness for pizza. Bad in every imaginable way, but that's the one thing I won't give up as long as I can keep my spike below 7 with the right split dose and timing.

I will sometimes take a bite or two of my mates ice-cream. It amuses them.

I would say it's probably once a month, and generally after something absolutely silly exercise wise so I can get away with about half the insulin I would normally need.

I'm Type 1.5 on insulin, so probably I'm a bit of a special case.

mrglut4

yeah once in a while.. i try each and everything that i can eat,, so that it makes me feel alive and normal.. although i am really very much normal

Badam52

You have to treat yourself it is not good to deprive yourself. I usually have a treat at least once a month and it depends on the type of treat. Fish and chips or maybe go out for a coffe and scone or other.
Have been told that strawberries are very good if you are diabetic.
Go on spoil yourself at least once a month, especially if you are doing good with the control side. You can always go for an extra walk to burn of the excess.

Ashleigh

I want a bacon roll this morning :cry:

where i'm working, there's a burger van or a cafe, or a tescos within driving distance but i cant go there until later.

i'm going to read some of the complications threads to make sure i dont give in today!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I don't have potatoes at all with my meals now because they send my BG too high, but if I feel desperate for a spud I'll have a packet of crisps as part of my carb allowance. At the moment I'm very very very low carbing so that I can see how my BG responds, so the odd pkt of crisps is probably within my allowance.

grumpyoldgit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First post from me since being promoted from Type 2 to Type 2 on Insulin but just wanted to share this story at which I'm still giggling. Hope you enjoy it reader...
I managed to find a job in a Warehouse with a canteen which offers many meals to cater for the high number of East European members of staff - Poles, Slovaks, Czechs etc. This means that I can behave myself in keeping my Glukes controlled by choosing some delicious East European dishes for lunch, especially the salads, Nom Nom. Trouble is that salads aren't available on Saturdays so last Saturday I had to choose an alternative meal. Chicken Kiev, I thought chicken, breadcrumbs, garlic... all good stuff but the butter would be dodgy, risk it with veg,... did that,ate it. One hour later I checked my blood glucose and it read 15.5 against my target range of 3.3 to 7.0! naughty, naughty, must have been deep fried Chicken Kiev, oops. On returning to my work station I mentioned the high reading to my friend colleague, Jamie, who takes an interest in my diabetic condition. The following exchange ensued....

Jamie : Is that a problem then,, that reading?
Me : Yes I must keep it lower than that or it's dangerous for me
Jamie : Why what could happen?
Me : well if I don't keep my blood glucise under control it could lead to heart problems, poor circulation, even a coma
Jamie : what just from eating chicken?
Me: The wrong type of chicken, yes
Jamie : Yeah I've heard of that, Chicken Coma, had some from my local Indian two nights ago, didn't realise it was that dangerous......

:crazy:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have one section of LIDL's dark roasted hazelnut chocolate each evening. Indulgent and delicious and not carrying too much sugar