Opticet and lantus

Spiff

I've been on lantus opticet for about 10 yrs and have felt **** for the whole time.I've phoned the diabetic nurse and she as good as refused to put me on anything other than lantus solostar.what's the difference in opticet and lantus?And can anyone please reccommend an alternative?thanks in advance

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no difference in the insulin. The optiset is the original pen for lantus ( in my opinion not a very user friendly pen). It was withdrawn in the UK at the end of Dec. The solarstar is a more recent and I think a better pen.
One alternative for basal insulin is levemir, this is quite often used as a twice daily basal. There are also some people who use the older insulin; insulatard.

Spiff

Thankyou for that I'm ripping with the diabetic nurse now typical just thinking everyone is buck stupid.I'm going to push for levimir then I was on insulatard before lantus.can anyone reccommend any further long acting insulins.thanks

IWBDF!

Spiff said:
Thankyou for that I'm ripping with the diabetic nurse now typical just thinking everyone is buck stupid.I'm going to push for levimir then I was on insulatard before lantus.can anyone reccommend any further long acting insulins.thanks

Hi Spiff!! So, I only know 1 such person called Spiff so going out on a limb here n presuming u are the same 1...if not, then I apologise n this info will prob mean nowt to ya!

I hate CAH cos they know NOTHING about diabetes! U can request ur doc 2 get u registered at LVH where the diabetic liasion nurse is fantastic, can get u anything u want and she has soooo much knowledge re different kinds of insulin. The diatectian for LVH is a diabetic herself, as is 1 of the doctors that u can see when going for ur HBA1c etc. They also offer the DAFNE course there, which is fantastic and I thought I kept up on diabetes quite well, but even the course opened up on stuff that helped me more :)

I believe that u were wif Logan last time I heard n I've had a few dealings wif her b4 n she knows nowt bout diabetes apart from just wot she has read, which in my opinion isn't very much either, but as we all know on here, diabetes is, and neva will be text book stuff as it varies how it affects each person as we are all very much individuals!

I can give u the diabetic nurse's phone number n speak 2 her urself n see how u go about changing to LVH for diabetes...trust me, u won't regret it!! :) S has my number :)

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
Don't try the SoloStar. I was on them when I was diagnosed and they gave me nothing but trouble. There are several other pen options for Lantus. There's also the option of using a syringe.

goalie

if lantus makes you feel like this then you could try Levemir, insulatard, humulin I or insuman basal as alternative. However, none of these last the full 24 hrs in the same way as lantus so are often given twice day.