I give up!

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
I have been low carbing on and off for a few years now, did especially well when first diagnosed type 2 in the summer of 2010. Have managed to keep good numbers with no medication. But I cannot seem to stick to it now, I manage a few days and then before I even hit ketosis I blow it and go on a huge carb binge. I get disappointed because I can't lose weight, last week, after a few really good days I leapt on the scales (well shuffled really!) and found I had put on nearly 2 lbs. I could probably do it if I didn't have to do the induction phase but if I don't I just put on weight. I really thought I'd found the answer to my carb addiction but I'm beginning to despair now. I'm a good 7 stones overweight and am feeling every pound of it these days(every day at work is a struggle as I'm on my feet all day) so it's not just a case of keeping good sugar numbers I MUST lose some weight. I'm even thinking of going back to Slimming World tho I hate all that low fat talk (and food) so I even find that hard to stick to.
Why can't I do it! I'm so annoyed with myself :(
Jane

Grazer

You seem to try and go ultra low carb, then give up and binge high carb. Would it be easier if you settled for a middle road that you could stay with, and lost weight more slowly? Maybe if you went to about 70 grams carbs, you wouldn't go into ketosis, but providing you also watched the total calories you would lose weight. More important, you wouldn't get the carb urges the same because you would be having a reasonable levelof carbs all the time. Might find it easier perhaps?

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
i feel your pain as I am in the same position as you are. I have about 5 stones to lose and my body feels really tired lately and I am only 33.

I really need to lose weight as my BS have been all over the place. I am usually ok for a few days and then I go for a binge.

But you know what I am sure that we can do it. I have read the success stories of low carbing on this forum and it does work.
If it works for them there is a good chance it will work for us :)

Maybe we can support each other with this!!

We need to do something....and stop playing russian roulette with our lives!!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
jahusba

I think you may be confusing going on a diet with controlling your blood sugars and maybe like Grazer says you may need to not do ULC but something a little less extreme. I do around 70g / day and have still lost over 30lbs in 10 weeks. I have never been in ketosis and don't care. What I do care about is the numbers that come up on my blood meter, to me these are far more important than those that come up on my scales. If you deal with the blood sugars by cutting carbs you will lose weight anyway imo

If you try again then this time try NOT to get hungry. Eat more in your main meal or even snack but make sure what you add to keep you topped up is low carb.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
jahusba said:
I have been low carbing on and off for a few years now, did especially well when first diagnosed type 2 in the summer of 2010. Have managed to keep good numbers with no medication. But I cannot seem to stick to it now, I manage a few days and then before I even hit ketosis I blow it and go on a huge carb binge. I get disappointed because I can't lose weight, last week, after a few really good days I leapt on the scales (well shuffled really!) and found I had put on nearly 2 lbs. I could probably do it if I didn't have to do the induction phase but if I don't I just put on weight. I really thought I'd found the answer to my carb addiction but I'm beginning to despair now. I'm a good 7 stones overweight and am feeling every pound of it these days(every day at work is a struggle as I'm on my feet all day) so it's not just a case of keeping good sugar numbers I MUST lose some weight. I'm even thinking of going back to Slimming World tho I hate all that low fat talk (and food) so I even find that hard to stick to.
Why can't I do it! I'm so annoyed with myself :(
Jane

It sounds like you need to find lots of satisfying and interesting protein dishes to eat. Out of a choice of meat, fish and eggs there are so many tasty meals you can have. From simple bacon and egg breakfasts, steak dinners, chicken curries - it is a matter of imagination and experimenting with recipes. Make your food varied and enjoy it. Focus on all the foods you can eat rather than cannot eat.

If you can avoid all the empty carbs then the craving for them will go away - but you really do have to avoid them for several weeks. Slimming World will be a waste of time and money as they don't do low carb. Theirs is a business which is guaranteed customers who return all their lives as the weight will never stay off.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Why not base your diet around the Induction Phase, as all the allowed foods are low carb, and then add in some low GI carbs to the level you want to eat. Remember, though, that as you increase carbs above induction level you must cut down the fat - it's a balancing act. For me personally any combination of fat and carbs goes straight to weight :crazy:

Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet on the Sticky Threads. You can base your diet on those foods and add in carbs from there (remembering about the fat), and do try not to obsess about your weight. Weigh yourself no more than once a week - once a fortnight is better - and eat to your meter. Remember our weight fluctuates daily for many reasons - and if you're anything like me, the first setback drives you straight back to the wrong foods :oops: :lol: .

Try to eat plenty of protein (it keeps you feeling more full), and snack on protein and veg if you want a nibble. You can do it! I've lost nearly 5 stone in 2 years, just eating to keep my blood sugar low, and managed to see the weight loss as a side-effect. I've got at least another 4 stone to go, preferably 5, so you see you're not alone.

Don't beat yourself up about this - try to take it one day at a time, and don't get on the scales too often. Remember stress raises your blood sugar! I'm sure eating properly will get easier for all of us as the weather warms up.

Viv 8)

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to all those who wrote those posts - here's another one to join you. When I started reading them I thought I'd written them myself! I did really well in my blood sugars the last 2 weeks and exercise and managed to put ON 2 kgs. I was so disappointed. But I've stuck with it and no cheating and now the blood sugars are all high again. I feel I just can't win. I'm type 1 diabetic and would love to try the low carb.