Type1 unusual hypos

Kim Killone

I use insulin but for the past few days have been having hypos after lunch,about hour later.dont normally have hypos any ideas or reasons.

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
Sensitivity to insulin often varies by time of day. I have a different insulin to carbohydrate ratio for each meal. It could just be that you have become more sensitive to insulin at lunchtime and therefore need to take less.Try using a different insulin to carbohydrate ratio eg if you normally take one unit per 10g carbs try taking one unit per 15g carbs instead. Another cause of the hypos could be if you are exercising around that time but you don't mention that in your post. The most likely reason for the hypos occurring an hour after your lunch is that this is roughly when the insulin is peaking.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kim Killone said:
I use insulin but for the past few days have been having hypos after lunch,about hour later.dont normally have hypos any ideas or reasons.

If you are injecting beforehand then it's likely you are injecting too much insulin for the carbs you are eating, other possibilities are if your meal has low-gi carbs or has a lot of fat in which can slow down the absorption rate of your food.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Kim Killone said:
If injecting before lunch as you should be, then perhaps your carb ratio has changed.