Before meal hypo

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I know I've been diabetic for a long time but I'm not really sure what to do if I have a hypo before a meal, do I still take insulin?

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
Yes, you must always take insulin with your meals if the contain carbohydrate. Treat your hypo first, wait for your blood sugar to come up and then take your insulin and have your meal . NEVER stop taking your insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah69 said:
I know I've been diabetic for a long time but I'm not really sure what to do if I have a hypo before a meal, do I still take insulin?

What I do is treat the hypo first and wait for my bg to return to normal, I then eat my food and take my injection after eating, you could if concerned give a reduced dose of insulin after treating the hypo but as glucosegirl says you should always take your insulin otherwise your bg levels will go sky-high postprandial.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, I was confused about this for a long time too. You need to address the hypo and the meal as two separate things... like the others have said, treat the hypo first and then carry on as normal with the insulin for your meal once you've brought your sugar level up. :)