HbA1c 6

israrhk

My latest result is 6. Is that something to worry? Previous was 5 something. I am not on medication yet. Today doctor gave me metformin for 4 months supply. I am just worried to go on medicine but prefer to control my bg by diet only. Any advice please.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
My last HbA1c in August was also 6, and im very happy. Im on no medication, just diet and excercise, and if my Dr had of offered me medication I would have refused it. The longer I can stay off medication the better. But everyone is different, so it's up to the individual what they think is the best way forward.

israrhk

Exactly. I want to stay off medication. Doctor said it will help me to better control bg and to loose weight. What makes me worry is I may have to stay on medicine for ever if I started once.

hallii

6 is OK 5 is better.

Metformin is a safe and effective drug that not only helps with insulin sensitivity but has protective effects on the heart and other organs.

I have opted to take 500mg a day for these reasons, so your doctor is offering what is, in his/her opinion, best teatment.

Everyone has a choice whether to follow medical advice or not. I choose not to follow diet advice and try to low carb.

I do try and follow advice that I think is good, and I have to say I do think that the offer of Metformin is good advice.

H

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second the above post by hallii.

Metformin is a well proven drug which helps control Blood Glucose levels and, in addition to it's cardiovascular protection, it also acts as an appetite suppressant, which is very useful if you need to loose weight. I would be most upset if my prescription was stopped and have in fact just asked that I be allowed to carry on taking my full 2000gm dosage even though my BG levels are now virtually at non-diabetic level as I still have a lot of weight to shed. I certainly don't think of Metformin as a 'drug for life' as I know my GP wants to reduce my dosage in line with my weight loss