a bit fed up!!!!!

elainechi

to be honest im a bit fed up with having a child with
T1.....it would be so much easier if it were me.........
the arguing about testing. injecting and what have you eaten now to make your bloods so high. nag nag nag is all i seem to do...
jane doesn.t want it thankyou but injects x2 day..... always high at lunch....... why does she need a snack at 10:30am?????? she doesn.t but at break the canteens open ...11am. lunch at 1pm. why can.t they open it then....... profit i expect. i.ve tried packed lunch but not so exciting of the lure of the carb laden goodies on sale. i will never give up just try try and try......then im faced with with the annual dla claim......... only to be filled in with a bottle of wine beside me!!!!!!! it always gives me great pleasure as i fill it in to be reminded what a daily struggle and nite the whole shambles is..
rant rant rant but i feel better. roll on 7am and do it all again

nite nite x

elainechi

also any one with a secondary school aged child on novamix 30?????
any info on dosage and daily diet and bs greatfully received xx

shop

Hi Elainchi,

Just wanted to say its hard enough managing ones own diabetes let alone a childs and especialy when they are challenging you. Firstly I think you parents of T1 kids are fantastic. So yes I know you will keep going despite how hard, so rant all you like. You need to have some sort of release.

Secondly is there any reason she is on Novomix 30 and not basal bolus with carb counting? Just wondering if that would be easier and maybe give her some control back and empowerment. I found Novomix 30 didn't suit me as it is more restrictive as to exactly when you have to eat.

Sending hugs and hope things improve.

Lucy xxx

leggott

We did find novomix a bit restrictive too, but if your daughter is happy with this, there is no reason why she can't eat the goodies and take some nova rapid to cover the extra carbs. It is not possible to stop her wanting the treats like her friends, but if she understands that she needs to take somd extra insulin to cover the extra food then she will be happy and her bloods won't go high.

Niamh's Mum

Hi,

I'm a mum of a teenager. Niamh is 13 - just gone into Year 9 (she's 14 in December) going on 22 in the head! I too have daily battles with her explaining why she should do this and why she should do that, when all the time she is a very bright girl and she knows what she should be doing. We too were on Novomix when first diagnosed in January '10. We also found it very restrictive. By April '10 we were using MDI, which we found to be revolutionary. In October last year we were funded for a pump and can honestly say, even with everyday normal teenage hormones/high bloods/low bloods, haven't looked back. For us, this works.

I remember Niamh saying she didn't want her biscuit at 10.30 break and having to eat it. Also booking family meals around dinner or lunch. Have you thought about looking into MDI?

I found that reading everything I could get my hands on helped us make an informed decision, although each time we pushed to try the next stage, we dithered not knowing if it was better the devil we knew.

Good luck and hope things sort themselves out

Gayle x

elainechi

thank you for your replies...i know there are plenty of us parents out there . jane has had an eventfull 2 years with t1.. we.ve been on novamix and quickly on to mdi. she has overdosed to have treats (saved for hypos) absolutely refused to take any insulin....only had ketones when on steroids for a chest infection. tried low carbing...now keeping bms high as collapsed at school earlier in year and doesn.t want to do that again.
yr 7 63% attendance due to feeling rubbish with high bms... but also totally aware of keep bms high
and the weight comes off!!!!!!

so thats how we started again on 2injections a day.all to do with compliance.BU today was an okay day

elainechi

attemded yet another meeting at school with various professions and jane there.now since she had a hypo there they all want to help and at last they see hyper is just as bad as hypo.....

greater news.....jane will be moving to the young peoples clinic after next appt....which means im not invited (but will catch up by phone) she may be
very nearly 13 but way way older in terms of raging hormones and even better my irrational belief that they will think im a bad mum if hba1c was high was confirmed to be a normal one.....i think they should make janes diabetic teams saints with the job they have to do.....

ps pumps..... we went to the 1-1 with the rep. funding sought but then the blow....get you hba1c down and test your bms more you can have a pump.... jane said if if i get my bms downs without whats the point of having one......no thanks

at least she has a sense of humour still....i love her dearly but she is very strong willed which will get her far.......if of course she can see and not suffer retinopathy due to constant hi xxxxx

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Awwww ... when I read your post I really felt for you and your daughter. Being a teenager is bad enough without being a T1 and being a Mum of a teenager is bad enough without the extra worry that you must have. It's also a time for the teen to learn about taking responsibility for actions and the consequences. And it's a learning curve for Mum too - realising we're being pushed back because teen has decided to take control of her own life.

Gawd ... it's not an easy one is it? But you know she will learn her own self control even if it doesn't look like it at the moment. She might stumble and fall over a few times, just like she did when she learned to walk and you had to stand back and watch it happen and watch her pull herself up on her own and try again. She'll do exactly the same with her diabetes control. It won't be easy for her or for you but it's important that SHE does it and that you're there watching and offering a hand when she asks for it. Your daughter sounds like a very healthy teenager to me and you sound like a very healthy ranting mother of a teenager. :clap:

Thank God for rants!!! :)

kndge9584

ust wanted to say its hard enough managing ones own diabetes let alone a childs and especialy when they are challenging you. Firstly I think you parents of T1 kids are fantastic. So yes I know you will keep going despite how hard, so rant all you like. You need to have some sort of release

[signature removed]

Blondie153

I was so glad to read your post and not because I was unsympathetic to your plight! I am the mother of an 8yr old T1 diabetic. She was diagnosed 8 weeks ago and it was a complete shock. She had no symptoms and I took her to the Dr thinking she had a UTI and she was in hospital getting into bed half an hour later. I kept thinking they have made a mistake and they need to do about 5 more tests, but no she had it. We started on the novomix twice a day but this didn't work for her, levels all over the place. We are now on the 4 a day and she is injecting herself and we are trying to carb count together. This summer was the first summer that she was starting to gain a little bit of independence and I mourned the fact that she is now at the moment totally dependent on me again. It is a bit like having a baby again, watching what they eat, when they eat and a suitcase of stuff that has to be taken everywhere you go, I was just getting used to lifting my keys and going somewhere (she has younger siblings). I felt guilty about being cross at the raw deal she had been dealt, I know there are children being diagnosed with far worse things, but I was mourning the loss of the easy life a child should have. So I was glad to see that I was normal and it was ok to rant. I can only imagine what it is like with teenage hormones thrown into the mix. I have that to look forward to!!!! Sometimes it just feels like the walls are closing in as I am not in the position to leave her with anyone. I tried last week and told my mum and dad do not feed her anything under any circumstances. when I returned from the Dr with my other sick child she had just had 2 digestives!!! thought I was going to crack up! People think that a wee snack is ok because it is not a meal. So thanks again for making me feel normal!
M