New and Worried!!

PregnantKate

Hi there, Im new to the site and ths is my first post,

I have recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Diet control didnt work so Im on Oral medication (starts with a G) but its not agreeing with me.

Today after breakfast my levels went to 11.6 then just under 3 hours later dropped to 2.5
I only found out because I started having what I now know was a "hypo". No-one had warned me about these. I just instictivly tested my sugars, saw they was low so ate a chocolat efar and a fizzy drink followed by some toast.

Well they leveled out again... great I thought. Until my after dinner reading came back at 11.4

Im so scared of having a hypo again. The ne this morning left me so shaken up. I felt so sick for the rest of the day.

I have had to let my 2yr old son go to his grandmas for the night as Im petrified of something happening t ome and him being here alone.

I dont know what to do, since being on the oral meds (2 days) my levels have been even more erratic then they was before!!!!

Help :(

bigredruss

hi Kate, it's really scary when it happens. have you seen the nurse?, it's a lot to take in when first diagnosed. my partner came with me and was ever so supportive towards me, i don't think i would be here today without her help. i'm sure you will be able to get the missing infomation you need from here. keep your chin up Russ

PregnantKate

To be honest - my husbands being a nob about the whole thing.

I had to beg him to come home from work and take me to the hospital as I was so worried and the MW said I should go and be seen.

Katharine

Hi Kate,

You seem to have over corrected your hypo.

When you start off with diabetes everyone does this. To get fast results with less chance of over correcting hypos it is best to use pure glucose. Lucozade or glucose sweets are the best. A small glass is usually enough. Within 15 minutes you should feel much better and by 40 mins it will have worn off but should not affect your next pre meal blood sugar.

Welcome to the forum.