borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Re: Newcastle-ish Day 3

stevolution said:
In other news, I'm 263.8lbs this morning. That's 3.4lbs down from yesterday and 8.4lbs down in total.
It's hard to stay ambivalent about this weight loss, even though I keep in mind it's just a pleasing side effect to the real goal. :D

This makes me feel better about the CrossFit - I'm at 243lbs down from 310 a couple of years ago.

Pull-ups scare the heeby-jeebies out of me...

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle-ish Day 4

262.2lbs this morning, that's 1.6lbs down from yesterday.
Well it's got to slow down some time, right? :)

Not hungry at all this morning and my FBG is much lower than yesterday.

B: 8.1 | B+2: 7.6 | L: 5.9 | L+2: 7.2 | D: 5.4 | D+2: 5.8

Ivenoidea

Hi Steve,

I did the Newcastle diet a few months ago, I lost 3 stone, blood pressure went really low (it wasn't high to begin with) BS levels went to normal, got into medium clothes and 32" waist jeans (a tiny bit tight) I felt physically lighter fitter and healthier. I stuck to it 100 per cent but did it through my local GP who prescribed me Optifast and checked me every week. He said I was the first person he had ever known to reverse my diabetes! I had printed and taken all of professor Taylors info off the website to help him understand what the study was all about.

For me, once you have done it a couple of weeks the diet was pretty much the easiest diet I have tried, I have always found it difficult to "cut down" but please make sure you have a plan for when you finish the diet, and start introducing food again slowly over the next couple of weeks, as I really got the munchies, I found it harder being off the diet than on it

The diet is just the start of changing your mindset for the rest of your life, it really does open up your ideas of what you are eating and causing this problem in the first place.

Good luck

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Really useful post. Thanks! :D

I'm going to contact my dietician in another couple of weeks to let her know how I'm getting on.
Near the end of the 8 weeks we're going to get together and discuss transitioning back to normal food.
She knows I favour Paleo, and so long as my body's working more like it should, there's no reason why I can't be normal for the rest of my life so long as I continue to exercise and eat sensibly. Wouldn't that be the perfect outcome? :D

Defren

Ivenoidea said:
Hi Steve,

I did the Newcastle diet a few months ago, I lost 3 stone, blood pressure went really low (it wasn't high to begin with) BS levels went to normal, got into medium clothes and 32" waist jeans (a tiny bit tight) I felt physically lighter fitter and healthier. I stuck to it 100 per cent but did it through my local GP who prescribed me Optifast and checked me every week. He said I was the first person he had ever known to reverse my diabetes! I had printed and taken all of professor Taylors info off the website to help him understand what the study was all about.

For me, once you have done it a couple of weeks the diet was pretty much the easiest diet I have tried, I have always found it difficult to "cut down" but please make sure you have a plan for when you finish the diet, and start introducing food again slowly over the next couple of weeks, as I really got the munchies, I found it harder being off the diet than on it

The diet is just the start of changing your mindset for the rest of your life, it really does open up your ideas of what you are eating and causing this problem in the first place.

Good luck

This resonates with me so much. Coming off the diet and being on real food again is much harder than the diet. While you are on the diet, you know you can only have shakes, and veg if you have those, but once finished the whole food world opens up and it is hard. I had struggled with calories before the diet, so doing it was a doddle, afterwards I wanted to eat everything in sight, and it took more restraint not to, than to do the diet. Thankfully that feeling doesn't last long, or it would be easy to undo all you have done.

Brilliant post Ivenoidea.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
HI guys. I'm feeling pretty chipper because I think I've come up with a long-term plan for when I finish this Newcastle 'diet'.
I've read a lot about the benefits of intermittent fasting before via the Mike O'Donnell website, and I know Defren practices it now.
I've just watched the BBC Horizon programme 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' and I'm now convinced this is the way forward for me.
I'll use 4 feed, 3 fast days coming off the diet, and as a general rule and I can switch to 5 feed, 2 fast.
I have to do more study to satisfy my curiosity, but I'm pretty sure this is the future for the new slim me!
Defren, you're leading the field again! :D

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle-ish Day 5

Another 1.6lbs off this morning, that's 11.6lbs cumulative.
Not hungry this morning despite it being big breakfast day usually. :roll:

Nice low FBG to start the day as well. :D

Was round at a mates house in back garden this afternoon and someone lit a barbequeue in a nearby garden.
Was crawling the walls thinking about steak and burgers, but it passed. :)

B: 6.7 | B+2: ___ | L: 6.3 | L+2: ___ | D: 5.0| D+2: 5.9

Defren

stevolution said:
HI guys. I'm feeling pretty chipper because I think I've come up with a long-term plan for when I finish this Newcastle 'diet'.
I've read a lot about the benefits of intermittent fasting before via the Mike O'Donnell website, and I know Defren practices it now.
I've just watched the BBC Horizon programme 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' and I'm now convinced this is the way forward for me.
I'll use 4 feed, 3 fast days coming off the diet, and as a general rule and I can switch to 5 feed, 2 fast.
I have to do more study to satisfy my curiosity, but I'm pretty sure this is the future for the new slim me!
Defren, you're leading the field again! :D

Flattery will get you everywhere [just don't tell Mr Defren :lol: ]

Your weight loss is even faster than mine, and mine went quickly, I am so pleased for you. I looked at all kinds of diets, and ways to continue after the ND and decided Primal was the best way for me. Stephen [Borofergie] taught me a lot about it, and shared web pages that I poured over for quite a while. It was a toss up between Atkins and Paleo - Stephen told me it is Primal if you include dairy, so that was the last thing I needed to know it was the best path for me. I don't drink any milk of any kind, nor do I eat any wheat or grains. I compensate with loads of other dairy, cream, cheese and my beloved Greek yogurt. I like the diet a lot, it suits me perfectly.

The "eat, fast and live longer" documentary was a real eye opener for me, and after just five weeks, Michael's results were enough to make me decide it is a lifestyle I wanted to adopt. I do believe it has to be a lifetime change, not just x amount of weeks/months, but it is doable. I fast every Tuesday and Thursday and it fits in with family commitments. The fasting days are tough, but I am 100% certain I will get used to them.

Brilliant work so far Steve, I am so impressed with your dedication and determination. I know you will benefit in all the ways you hope to by the end of the diet.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle-ish Day 6

Almost another pound off today. 0.8lbs down, 12.4lbs cumulative. :)

I tried one of my CrossFit Tameside t-shirts on for a laugh this morning and it doesn't look sprayed-on any more.
First goal achieved! Might wear it for my first training session back at the gym tomorrow. :D

B: 6.9 | B+2: 7.6 | L: 5.9 | L+2: ___ | D: 4.8 | D+2: 5.1

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Defren said:
stevolution said:
Brilliant work so far Steve, I am so impressed with your dedication and determination. I know you will benefit in all the ways you hope to by the end of the diet.
Thanks Jo. Paleo's the one for me when I get back to normality. :thumbup:
I feel there actually might be light at the end of the tunnel after watching that Horizon programme.
It's an effective way of reducing calories without feeling really deprived.
I was worried about calorie overload on the feed days but the woman researcher found that it normalises, the the subjects actually ate less on an aggregate week anyway.
How have you found feed days after fast days?
I know I'm jumping the gun but I want to a really solid plan in place for the end of this. :)

Fraddycat

Hi Steve, Just wanted to add my good luck and congratulations with your achievements so far! I have been out of town so only just caught up on your posts, it sounds like you are making amazing progress!!

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Fraddycat!
I'm cooking with gas right now! Well, not actually doing any cooking but you know what I mean. :wink:

Defren

stevolution said:
Defren said:
stevolution said:
Thanks Jo. Paleo's the one for me when I get back to normality. :thumbup:
I feel there actually might be light at the end of the tunnel after watching that Horizon programme.
It's an effective way of reducing calories without feeling really deprived.
I was worried about calorie overload on the feed days but the woman researcher found that it normalises, the the subjects actually ate less on an aggregate week anyway.
How have you found feed days after fast days?
I know I'm jumping the gun but I want to a really solid plan in place for the end of this. :)

My experience of feed days is kind of in line with the researcher. I have a set calorie goal of 1,500 calories a day. I struggle to reach that. Wednesday was 1,047 and I ate until I thought I was going to pop. Friday was 1,103, yesterday 1,100. I am never hungry, infact some days I feel I am going to burst, I seem as if I am eating all day. I have tried to up the calories by adding extra's to yogurt and berries like almond slivers and today rhubarb. Check out my 'my fitness pal' diary and you will see, and I log absolutely everything.

I love primal eating, it doesn't feel like a diet at all, it's very decadent and as I say I am never hungry, except on fast days, but I am sure I will get used to that. All in all the 5:2 fasting, is working ok for me [so far].

Keep up the brilliant work, you're doing brilliantly.

Jo.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle-ish Day 7

Bit disappointed to see just 0.4lbs off the scale this morning. :roll:
How impatient am I? :lol: Almost a stone in a week, and I might see it done tomorrow! :D

Got my first CrossFit session since starting this diet tonight. I'm a bit nervous about it.
Mind you, if my body's recovered a little bit I should be able to have some energy reserves through ketogenesis.
I'll let you know later! :crazy:

Back at work after the weekend break today so routine should help me stick with the pattern.

7.1 as a FBG this morning, but I think that's the ol' DP having a go and I fully expect BG to lower nicely as the day goes on again.

19:00 Wow! That was the hardest CrossFit I've ever done!
I did brilliantly in the warm-up. Ran the 400m with hardly any effort but started to flag somewhat during the three sets of 5 x pull-ups, 5 x press-ups, 5 x hollow rocks and 5 x wall squats. I was well behind on my personal best with the push press technique work before the WOD. The WOD was run 200m, 30 wall-balls, 30 press-ups, run 400m, 30 press-ups, 30 wall-balls, run 200m.
I really thought I wasn't going to finish the work after the 400m but I did it in a disgraceful time with loads of encouragement from my gym mates. I had absolutely nothing left in the tank and I so nearly DNF'd. :oops:

However, on reflection the squats during the wall-balls were a lot easier than the last time I did them and I never actually puked during the WOD. So, I'm going to persevere since it was a particularly cardio-centric workout. I hope I'll adapt and it'll get easier as I get even lighter. Think of all the extra calories I'm burning, and that strict pull-up is SO close!

My post-workout BG is almost in double figures but I'm confident it will have halved before bedtime. 8)
That's right, liver. Produce all that glucose. And where are you getting the materials from? That's right! :lol:

B: 7.1 | B+2: 7.5 | L: 5.4 | L+2: 5.0 | D: 9.9 | D+2: 4.2 (Booyah! :D )

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle-ish Day 8

Much better FBG this morning, and I'm not aching all that much from last night.
Another 0.8lbs off. So close to the 14lbs in a week!

B: 6.4 | B+2: 7.1 | L: 5.0 | L+2: 6.1 | D: --- | D+2: 5.9

1 Week's Progress:

My Weight Chart:
>

Defren

4.2 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AND all that weight gone, wow is all I can say. Well done Steve. :clap: :clap: :clap:

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 9

0.8lbs off again, that's 14.4lb cumulative.
Shoulders are aching a bit after Monday's training.

B: 6.7 | B+2: 7.1 | L: 4.6 | L+2: --- | D: --- | D+2: ---