Thin type 2 loosing weight

123Jo123

Hi guys

I am sending this out to all you thin type 2s out there. I was diagnosed with type 2 8 weeks ago and I'm on 1000 metformin with breakfast and 500 with dinner both SR. I have bmi of 22 and no matter what I eat - still keeping my bs under control 6 - 7 I am loosing weight - I have no antibodies so I'm not type 1 - Is it the metformin - I'm biking and swimming and consuming at least 2000 cals - the doctors are scratching there heads and have refered me to addenbrookes

123Jo123

Whoops press submit by mistake - I am 43 - does this sound like you - desperate for some advice as weight loss is scaring me

pickledpepper2

I too went through something similar to yourself.

I subsequently found that I was very sensitive to medication (both Metformin and Simvastatin). Eventually I weaned myself off Met replacing it with a very low carb diet, lots of raw or steamed green veg and nuts in my diet (I've become a bit slack with this of late and again seem to be losing weight, but not as dramatically as before - need to get back on track!!)

I also discovered a very unpleasant tasting Indian vegetable called karela which helped stabilise my levels and could be used in place of small doses of met.

Once your levels start to stablise and you decrease your meds (especially Met which has a known weight loss effect), then your weight might start to go back up - like mine did. Physical training helps, but you may need to get your levels lower (without meds that is) before you get the energy to get back into serious physical stuff.

In the meanwhile - take half hour (or longer) walks after meals, this helped me no end!

It's weird but what I've realised is that for some of us, the condition works as if to strip our body of fat and muscle to feed/fuel itself, hence the weightloss. I found eating carbs causes me to lose weight quite dramatically still. When I low carbed very rigourously, I had my best weight gain, when I got slack in that department I started to lose weight again.

But be careful not to take my case as general, all of our bodies react differently, so figure out your own personal idiosyncrasies and work around them. You may want to invest in heavy testing and recording (e.g 1 and 2 hour after meals, 2 x a day) for say 4 months (if you can afford) to make yourself more familiar with what food keeps your levels down and those that bring them up.

Hope this helps - if only in some small measure.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree it's strange and good that the doc has referred you to the hospital for further checks.

Meg2009Arm

Hi 123Jo123

I had a similiar thing happen. I put it mainly down to medication although I had restricted my carb intake too. My doctor put me on SR Metformin 500 twice a day and Sitagliptin. I later found out that is supposed to be only prescribed for people with a BMI of over 30, mine was about 22. I lost too much weight (BMI went down to 17) and consquently after me nagging my GP I got reffered to the local hospital who are runnning GAD tests and others I think. They told me to stop taking Sitagliptin straight away and decided I needed to try Insulin and keep taking Met. It has helped with the weight (BMI now around 19) but now struggling to get the insulin levels right and have tried three types so far and now they're talking about me trying another.

I'm not sure whether met has an influence on your weight loss. Hope you get it sorted soon. :)