Insulin Pump Therapy advice needed

marcusblack

Hi there - I am new to this forum and only started posting recently. I am 37 years old and have been type 1 since November 1977 (35 years!!)

I attended a DAFNE course in February 2011 and found this very useful but recently my blood sugars can just randomly for 2 or 3 days go off the chart so I mentioned this to my consultant who recommended an insulin pump. I have a couple of friends who use them and have highly recommended them so was wondering what peoples' experiences of them are on here?

I have been referred pretty quickly all in all and will be getting the pump on the 1st October (I am getting the meditech paradigm veo pump - mainly made the decision as I have 5 friends on pump therapy - 3 use the Veo and love it and 2 use the roche and would prefer the veo!! - Also read all the pamphlets etc. and the Veo was the one that sold itself best to me)

All advice is gratefully received

pickle76

Hi again,

Glad you posted here - you'll prob get more responses.

Well I've managed to reduce my HbA1c significantly since being on a pump, and also love the fact that I can make either huge or minute adjustments with almost immediate effects. I've also been able to overcome the effects of the dawn phenomenon (ie rising blood sugars at dawn), and have really stable blood sugars overnight.

It's good you've done DAFNE as the success of being on a pump is largely dependent on being able to accurately carb count. They'll train you on how to use your pump but be aware that you'll need to do lots of blood sugar testing if you don't already, and do some fasting tests to get your background (basal) levels correct. Be patient too - some people get things 'right' very quickly and for others it can take some months.

Hope you get on well with it. It's changd my life! :wave:

marcusblack

pickle76 said:
Hi again,

Glad you posted here - you'll prob get more responses.

Well I've managed to reduce my HbA1c significantly since being on a pump, and also love the fact that I can make either huge or minute adjustments with almost immediate effects. I've also been able to overcome the effects of the dawn phenomenon (ie rising blood sugars at dawn), and have really stable blood sugars overnight.

It's good you've done DAFNE as the success of being on a pump is largely dependent on being able to accurately carb count. They'll train you on how to use your pump but be aware that you'll need to do lots of blood sugar testing if you don't already, and do some fasting tests to get your background (basal) levels correct. Be patient too - some people get things 'right' very quickly and for others it can take some months.

Hope you get on well with it. It's changd my life! :wave:

Thanks for this - I already do a large amount of BG testing (5+ per day) as I'm quite particular about getting it right so won't mind that side of it. Going to the hospital this afternoon to test the pump out with Saline to get used to the controls. Would've liked a few more replies on here before this mind! Ah well - wish me luck everyone

Spearmint

marcusblack said:
Thanks for this - I already do a large amount of BG testing (5+ per day) as I'm quite particular about getting it right so won't mind that side of it. Going to the hospital this afternoon to test the pump out with Saline to get used to the controls. Would've liked a few more replies on here before this mind! Ah well - wish me luck everyone

Hi Marcus

How did it go today?

I haven't posted on here for ages but saw your post.
My daughter is finally getting a pump next month, she starts with a trial pump and saline on the 1st Oct and gets new pump and insulin on the 29th Oct if all goes well.
She is 12 and will be having the Accu Check Combo.

Different pump and different situation but could stay in touch and compare though.