cinnamon

CantThinkOfAUsername

It's a cheap spice so why are people paying for capsules when a lvl teaspoon could be taken in some water?

It does stimulate the circulation and blood flow. In fact many of the hot spices will do that such as cayenne and ginger.

Olive leaf extract can lower the blood glucose. However that isn't as cheap as cinnamon powder.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sinbad said:
I have taken cinnamon and can assure you it does not bring your blood sugar down poster who say it does are not being the full monty with the truth

Whilst cinnamon itself does not bring down BG level, along with metformin, excersice and other things like low carbing it regulates your motabolism and blood flow which in itself regulates your blood sugars indirectly, I don't think anyone has ever said cinnamon on its own brings down BG levels. If it did then the NHS would be giving it away at reception.

Fraddycat

Sinbad, I am just saying what I observed in myself. I might be wrong which I fully accept - but I am certainly not lying as you imply.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using cinnamon for 12 years. I do a teaspoon in morning and afternoon in my decaf. Coffee. It seems to work better than Metformin for me, plus it' s free at Starbucks. Seems the folks above just didn' t take enough. Plus it lowers blood pressure & LDL cholesterol too. Studies show it actslike insulin increasing glucose metabolism 20, times or 2,000%. Taurine and Vanadium also help a lot and chromium is most important for all type 2s.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lanzlady said:
lanzlady said:
Was wondering is it worth taking cinamon I am on 3 x500mg metformin started sitagliptin 2 weeks ago but my levels are still high
was diagnosed Jan 2010 levels are creeping up since last Oct despite using my treadmill and losing weight any answers welcome :)

Lanzlady

My cinnamon arrived five minutes ago while reading the bottle it reads supports healthy blood sugar levels already in
the normal range !!
they are swanson full spectrum 375mg anyone tried this brand I purchased from amazone :)

Lanzlady

I'm using Swanson full spectrum 375mg and I'm taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. My BG has been 5.7 on several occasions, which is the lowest it's been so far. So I'll keep taking it. I think with any supplement you have to give it a good trial run. I tend to want an instant response after I've taken the first capsule but I know that's not realistic. But I will persevere with this as some people do seem to have good results with it fairly quickly. :)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
robertconroy said:
I've been using cinnamon for 12 years. I do a teaspoon in morning and afternoon in my decaf. Coffee. It seems to work better than Metformin for me, plus it' s free at Starbucks. Seems the folks above just didn' t take enough. Plus it lowers blood pressure & LDL cholesterol too. Studies show it actslike insulin increasing glucose metabolism 20, times or 2,000%. Taurine and Vanadium also help a lot and chromium is most important for all type 2s.

+1

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking it for three months. Along with good weight loss my bs is down by .7 It cant do you any harm if you stick to the recommended dose so give it go.

TUI

Acharia said:
I am taking a small coffee spoon of cinnamon powder since I was put on medication in 2007 mixed in rolled oats/skimmed milk breakfast each morning. For medication I take 2x500mg SR Metformin reduved from four. My HbA1c has been between 5.1 to 5.9 but recently it was 6.5 which I am told is still very good by the nurse.
For food I am a vegetarian from birth and fond of Indian sweets which I eat as and when an occasion arises and main meals are of high carborates content. I do avoid sweets but not as one diabetic should. May be cinnamon is keeping me above the problem?
We buy cinnamon powder jar from Costco and last a long time rather than buying expensive capsules.
I am 80 years old of Indian origin and most of our vegetable curries contain cinnamon too.
My personal experience of cinnamon is quite good.
Wish you all good health.

Good for you I expect all the other spices help keep you healthy as well, keep healthy too. I'm cooking a kohl rabi curry tomorrow, I'm not vegetarian but love Indian vegetarian food.

Defren

sinbad said:
I have taken cinnamon and can assure you it does not bring your blood sugar down poster who say it does are not being the full monty with the truth

I think it should be pointed out here, we are all different. Cinnamon may not work for you, Bitter Melon doesn't work for me, but cinnamon and Gymnema work with my Metformin for me!!

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren said:
but cinnamon and Gymnema work with my Metformin for me!!
How do you know it's not the metformin? Or your diet?

Defren

Etty said:
Defren said:
but cinnamon and Gymnema work with my Metformin for me!!
How do you know it's not the metformin? Or your diet?

When first diagnosed I was put immediately onto Metformin, I also changed my diet the very next day (I had been reading this forum, so knew what to try). Again, reading here I added Bitter Melon, they did nothing, so I tried Fenugreek with the BM, nothing really, perhaps a slight drop, but not worth the money (in my opinion). I then added Gymnema and saw a obvious drop, I added the cinnamon and dropped again. These are sustained drops I strongly attribute to Metformin, Gymnema, Cinnamon and my diet. We are talking .5 - 1.5 mmol/l here not massive drops, and as I became more experienced with my condition and my bodies reactions, I can now take supplement I know make a difference primarily to my BG but also to me.

I should add, some of these drops are to my +2 post prandial tests, and not just regular finger prick testing.

Hope that helps.

kukka

just posted elsewhere about cinnamon as thought it was the ony thread then found this one

ive been reading a lot about cinnamon and am going to try it as want to help my fluctuating levels naturally if i can.as gp doesnt help me at all

i read about taking ceylon cinnamon as it is safer than the cassia whichcan cause problems with the liver in higher doses so want to play it safe.

but not sure where to buy it from.does anyone have any recommendations.i read tests sais 1gram a day was best for long term use.i would like some ceylon cinnamon to sprinkle on cereal or tablets for days im no carbing

im housebound so have to order online as cant go to shops.x