Newcastle-ish

Rosie Leah

You are doing so well ...have been lurking and watching both you and Defren. I started The newcastle diet 3 days ago so I am right behind you! I have to say but for all your and defrens detailed descriptions I would be struggling as it is a bit strange all this drinking and NO food buying and cooking .
anyway I'm losing weight nicely thankyou not suffering too much and on this the third morning my fbg was 5.4 ..usually in the 6's and 7's :)
Well Done!

edit: just to say I am doing this diet to lose weight I am so close to a healthy BMI . Which I consider a cornerstone of diabetic
control. Also for BG control . I have 10lbs to lose well slightly less now., I will review the whole thing when I get to that weight .
As the only question I have with my unscientific mind is why 8 weeks, since it seems to me they saw most improvement in the first week? Something to ponder I guess...
Also in that trial had only 2 of 4 women that got to the end ( I could be wrong here as using just my memory) and as I know that men metabolise differently to women I would have thought it would be worth splitting the sexes in future trials.

Defren

Rosie Leah said:
You are doing so well ...have been lurking and watching both you and Defren. I started The newcastle diet 3 days ago so I am right behind you! I have to say but for all your and defrens detailed descriptions I would be struggling as it is a bit strange all this drinking and NO food buying and cooking .
anyway I'm losing weight nicely thankyou not suffering too much and on this the third morning my fbg was 5.4 ..usually in the 6's and 7's :)
Well Done!

edit: just to say I am doing this diet to lose weight I am so close to a healthy BMI . Which I consider a cornerstone of diabetic
control. Also for BG control . I have 10lbs to lose well slightly less now., I will review the whole thing when I get to that weight .
As the only question I have with my unscientific mind is why 8 weeks, since it seems to me they saw most improvement in the first week? Something to ponder I guess...
Also in that trial had only 2 of 4 women that got to the end ( I could be wrong here as using just my memory) and as I know that men metabolise differently to women I would have thought it would be worth splitting the sexes in future trials.

Thank you Rosie :D

Please start a diary and we can support you on your journey, also I am sure, like my diary, and this one will help people considering this diet have a real honest insight into what the diet is like, from those doing/done it. I truly hoped mine would offer a personal insight into the diet day by day, but could never have guessed that it would have been read by so many people, and helped them to have a go at the ND.

I really do believe both you and Steve will see great benefit from the diet, and I really do look forward to your conclusions at the end.

Jo.

[edit to add] If my memory serves me right, although there were major benefits within a couple of weeks, it continued for 8 weeks to give the study time to lose some weight to add to the benefits achieved earlier. I think a splitting of the sexes could be an idea for us lay people doing the study ourselves, but I think as a scientific study, were the differences not noted? Sorry, really busy time for me at the moment, and my memory is shot. :lol:

Rosie Leah

yes I will do this tomorrow now it's rather late and i must gather my thoughts etc I will look up the study tomorrow too

manyana :yawn:

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 10

Hi Rosie! :wave:

I decided to have my veg allowance last night as I was feeling particularly cold and sorry for myself. I used 300g (the study recipe sheet states at least 250g) of cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers and onion stir-fried with a teaspoon of crushed garlic and chillies. It felt like a proper meal and certainly made me feel a lot better!

Interestingly, my FBG was in the 6's this morning and it was lower 2 hours later. This was probably because there was something in my system to produce glucose from, and my liver didn't have to overdo it. If my weight has come down again on Tuesday after doing this all week I'll carry on with it. No-one ever gained weight eating this kind of veg, right?

B: 6.8 | B+2: 6.4 | L: 4.4 | L+2: 4.9 | D: --- | D+2: ---

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thought I'd weight in and throw a little support your way, Steve. Great work so far. :thumbup:

I'm seriously considering using intermittent fasting as a method of control. I'm currently 4 days in to a diet regime called "The Commando Diet" (7 day plan, repeated once (14 days total) - all fixed meals) as a kick starter for another 8 weeks on the Newcastle diet.

I'll be doing the Newcastle Plan using Optislim shakes - but will certainly give the Atkins shakes a go at some point.

I like the idea of a 5-2 intermittent fast, with fasting days on Tues & Thurs. I suspect (DON'T quote me!) that prior to a fasting day, higher than usual carbs can be taken that will be used by the body on the upcoming fasting day... I'd imagine that would be best tested after a few weeks of sustained intermittent fasting.

Like I said - DON'T quote me! (But maybe Defren can comment?) Just something that I'll be likely to try out in the future.

EDIT:
steve said:
I can run 5k and deadlift my own bodyweight for a 5 rep max at greater than 270lbs. Something's not right!

:shock: :thumbup:

Something is most certainly NOT RIGHT.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great post, Patch. Thanks! :D

Right up to lunchtime I was considering maybe dropping the idea and going straight to I/F.
Something stayed my hand and I've carried on, though. I'm going to see it out. :clap:

My scheduled last week will be our holiday in Scotland so I'll be finishing it a week early.
The plan now is to very low carb that week (should be easy as we're self-catering) and then drop to 4-3 I/F for as many weeks as it takes my weight to stabilise before going to 5-2 I/F.

By then I should have shifted a bit more fat and my pancreas will hopefully be playing ball a bit more.

On the down side, I've decided I have to shelve CrossFit for the time until after our holiday.
I simply don't have the energy to do it like this :( and it's not the kind of thing you can half-do.

Onwards, friends. Onwards. :thumbup:

Defren

Patch said:
Just thought I'd weight in and throw a little support your way, Steve. Great work so far. :thumbup:

I'm seriously considering using intermittent fasting as a method of control. I'm currently 4 days in to a diet regime called "The Commando Diet" (7 day plan, repeated once (14 days total) - all fixed meals) as a kick starter for another 8 weeks on the Newcastle diet.

I'll be doing the Newcastle Plan using Optislim shakes - but will certainly give the Atkins shakes a go at some point.

I like the idea of a 5-2 intermittent fast, with fasting days on Tues & Thurs. I suspect (DON'T quote me!) that prior to a fasting day, higher than usual carbs can be taken that will be used by the body on the upcoming fasting day... I'd imagine that would be best tested after a few weeks of sustained intermittent fasting.

Like I said - DON'T quote me! (But maybe Defren can comment?) Just something that I'll be likely to try out in the future.

EDIT:
steve said:
I can run 5k and deadlift my own bodyweight for a 5 rep max at greater than 270lbs. Something's not right!

:shock: :thumbup:

Something is most certainly NOT RIGHT.

Hi Patch and Steve. I can give my experience of the ND and 5:2 fasting, but have learned we are all very different.

I did wonder if "feast days" would make my calorific intake higher, but I have found the reverse to be true. From diagnosis to getting my first meter, which was around a week - 10 days, I have always been very carb intolerant, hence the ULC diet I adopted. After the ND my tolerance did rise slightly and has stayed at the higher level, but in the main I have kept an ULC diet. Feast days are or could become a struggle, as I really do have to eat calorie dense foods to get any respectable levels. One trick I have found, I make my own muffins, chocolate, cinnamon, coconut etc, while low carb they are calorie dense and I get much closer to my own 1,500 calories by having them (usually smothered in lashings of double cream). I have not upped my carbs during feast days, although obviously fast days sees a huge dip on my chart. Today's carbs will be 11g where my feast day yesterday they were 27g which is around the usual 25-35g a day. I have just checked my carb chart, my highest carb intake was 38g, and that is about my limit. Beyond that my BG will begin to rise and take me out of my comfort zone, of 5.9 or less after a meal. So, for me, (I fast Tuesday's and Thursday's) there is no change in either carb or calorie intake on non fasting days.

I will add, I came to a 1,500 daily calorie intake by following my bodies lead. I found that with a 1,500 quota, I am never hungry, I am still losing weight at a respectable 1-2lbs a week, and feel great. Monday should see me into a normal BMI which is down from obese. Last Monday I was almost touching a normal BMI so should hit it next week. What a celebration that will be!!

Patch, I am sure I have read about you doing the commando diet, can you tell me again what it's all about. My diet is Paleo with dairy (not milk) so effectively primal rather than full on Paleo. Cheers. :D

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jo, that's really useful for me.
What you've described is how I'd like things to go for me when I come out the other side. :)

You've reinforced what the woman on the Horizon programme said about calorie intake being cumulatively lower on a 5:2 regime.
I imagine I'll still be on a very low carb pattern as I'm very intolerant too, but I'll see what my pancreas says.
I fantasize about a situation where I can be just 'normal' low carb/paleo, keep losing weight and still have energy to exercise in my chosen fashion.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Steve,

When you're done with the fasting nonsense, you can easily top your muscle glycogen up with relatively small amounts of sweet potato.

I don't see eating "safe starches" is a big problem if you immediately hit the CF Box and burn them off.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Jo! :thumbup:
The rate of weight loss has slowed to around 0.8lbs per day, but yeah - those BG figures are ace! :D

Defren

stevolution said:
Thanks, Jo! :thumbup:
The rate of weight loss has slowed to around 0.8lbs per day, but yeah - those BG figures are ace! :D

The results of the ND are there to see. No one who has done this diet to my knowledge has failed. It's possibly a good thing your weight loss has slowed a bit. You want to keep it off and not have loose skin. That was something that concerned me when my weight was falling at the rate it was, but I was really lucky and don't have that problem.

Keep up the brilliant work Steve. :thumbup:

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 15

Well, here we go with week 3.
I've remained absolutely steadfast with the plan, which makes it a bit irksome to have only lost 3.2lbs this week.
Still, I'm going to stick with it and see it through.
I was really craving food yesterday but no pain, no gain, right?

B: 6.3 | B+2: --- | L: 5.4 | L+2: 5.4 | D: --- | D+2: ---