what dose are you taking

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
just wondering what dose of levamir people are taking? I'm taking 20 clicks am and 10 at night

thanks in anticipation

Ewan

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't take levemir and instead take lantus, currently on 20 units (once a day) up from 18 a few weeks back when it was warmer.

Pneu

Actual amounts injected are not really at all comparative. The best way to compare is to calculate the units of insulin you take per KG to body weight.. Most diabetics will come back at somewhere between 0.5 - 1 unit / kg depending on amount of carbohydrate eaten and activity level.. those who are very physically active may come back at less than 0.5 unit / kg and above 1 unit / kg is considered to be insulin resistant..

as with anything lifestyle and activity level plays are large part in the amount of insulin we need so its very hard to compare one person to the next without knowing quite a lot of other information.

l0vaduck

I use a pump so I don't have a long acting insulin but my total basal dose is 8.5 units at weekends and 9.5 in the week (mainly because of dawn phenomenon weekdays which I don't seem to get at weekends). The basal is mainly during the morning - at night and all afternoon I have 0.3 units per hour but early mornings it goes up as high as 0.7 units per hour.

My total daily dose is low at the moment as I'm trying to lose weight but is on average 0.24 units per kg - and I'm not extremely active, just very sensitive to insulin. When I wasn't losing weight it was higher, but still only 0.4 units per kg.

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
thanks people, very interesting, i was just wondering if there was a common dose, but makes sense that body weight needs to be taken into consideration.

Mileana

Total daily dose at a normal diet (150g plus carbs) would be in the area of 30 units.

Currently on 5+4+6 (15 units) of Levemir.

Roughly 7-8 units of NovoRapid at low ish carb diet (75-100g carb).

Am fairly active. Am also big (90kg).

Type 1.5 with some panc function left, I think.

Pneu

Sub 0.5 units / KG can also indicate pancreatic function remaining.

I take around 45u / day basal and probably 5-10u bolus as I eat low carb.. I am a large chap tho! 6'4 ish and weigh in at around 90KG..

I have zero pancreatic function due to my terrible control when younger.. killed it off good and proper

jopar

using the Insulin u/per kg is only a starting guide to how much insulin is likely to be needed... Levimer and Lantus actually have different u/per kg if I remember rightly Levimer is slightly more than lantus...

Can't see how you can use, u/per kg as an indicator of pancreas function! It's too a simplistic equation! It doesn't allow for other factors that can have an effect on insulin resistance...

I'm on a insulin pump, and depending on what profile I'm using my insulin per kg, is between 0.16 - 0.18..

But I do have an interesting basal profile, 13 different settings over a 24 hour period! hourly rate ranges from 0.2 -0.6 the latter is covering my DP's at full hit....

I do know any disruption in delivery such as an air bubble going through the tube, my levels more so in the morning will start to climb pretty quickly, which to me suggests that if I've got any pancreas function it ain't much!

Pneu

Jopar you are correct that different insulins have different activity profiles dependant on unit / KG.

I think generally what I was trying to point out is that there are so many individual variables that comparing insulin in person A to B is like comparing apples and oranges.. unit / KG can be used as a rough guide; certainly a bit more accurate than straight units injected..

Reference the pump! I think I am going to end up similar.. three days now and I have 6 basal profiles which squished my pesky DP this morning :) Just the rest of the day to sort now.

jopar

Penu

I think you mean basal settings, not 6 basal profiles, vibe only got 4 different programmable basal profiles...

Tip about changing settings in the basal profile, I'm assuming you just got the one profile set up at the moment and this is the one you working on!

Set up a second profile, identical to your main profile, then make the adjustments on this one, see if they work if desired result achieved, transfer the setting over to the main profile. Sometimes when you making adjustments you get a knock on effect, that needs resolving problem with this, as you follow through with the adjustments you can end up in a bit of a pickle and a very muddy picture of what settings where in the basal profile worked best, and no ability to return to a known starting point!

I'm also assuming you're working on sectors of the day, don't forget when you've seem to have one cracked, recheck it hasn't got a knock on in another sector! Sometimes it's the knock on effects that make pinning the basal profile down difficult.. And once you've pinned it down don't take it for granted it's sorted... Need to do periodic reviews to ensure it doesn't need tweaking...

When it comes to sorting out profiles for other main activities, such as work days etc... The TBR is a very handy feature indeed with using the above method..

Pneu

Settings I did mean.. I have been doing as you suggest (I think they put that in the booklet as well) re the two profiles.. just helps to see where you have changed things.

Just a matter of getting all the basal right again as I am so much more sensitive on the pump.. got to love fasting tests! It's all pretty much what I done on MDI just a lot more flexibility now to really fine tune it.. my life is so much easier and its only been a few days