new Victoza users

Jillianb

:D Hi everyone,

I have been advised gto try Victoza by my nurse. I would be interested to hear from other new users or people thinking about starting on it. Has anyone any tips for managing side effects?

Bridie

Dislikes
People who treat me like I`m an idiot just because I`m overweight.
Hi I`m actually waiting for my appointment on the 4th April when the DN is going to show me how to inject Victoza. I`ll let you know how it goes.
As I`m a Type 2 I have never been given a monitor to test my blood sugar levels, but am now wondering whether or not I should ask the DN for one so I can keep an eye on my bsl. What do you think?

marti

Welcome aboard i am Martina from Canada, i am a type 2 diabetic for 7 years and i am on Lantus insulin. this is a great board to get lots of great info on

gillylou2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Bridie,

Week 3 coming to an end and my experience of Victoza so far has been good. No sickness to report and only a slight tummy upset (no more than when I was first put on Metformin). I am still on 0.6ml and due to see the DN early April. However, I would suggest when you start off on Victoza you do check your BG as after exercise mine has dropped down to 3.5 on more than one occasion. So far I've also lost 7lbs which is fantastic after months and months of just losing half pound now and then. I hope you get on as well with it as I have done.

tanya75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi, i have been on victoza four weeks. started on 0.6mg. Now take 1.2mg. i have had most side effects, mainly feeling sick and being sick, which happened in the first week and slowly went. Smelly burps, flatulence and diarrhea still come and go, especially if i have eaten fatty foods. Sugars are still sitting around 12 in the morning. midday goes down to 8, night time before bed sits about 13. i also take glitazide 90g a day. i have lost 7lb and i dont feel hungry. Due to go back to DN to see if overall things are changing. i hope so.

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been using Vitoza for over a year and have lost 6 Stone. I'm on 1.8, that's the highest amount. At first there was some slight sickness feelings but, they soon disappeared. I find it is better than 4 injections per day.

Cnd-Highway

:) Hello,

I just started Victoza (liraglutide) May 1 at the starting dose of 0.6 mg/day. I have so far had the occasional headache, mild to severe nausea :sick: and just feeling a bit tired. I am not hungry but that may be due to the nausea but also the medication's impact on the gut. I don't like the nausea but will keep at it.

I was on Januvia previously and it seemed to be working for about 8 months but it has since been less effective which is why my endocrinologist decide to switch me to the Victoza.

I won't be able to see any major changes in my BG as the 0.6 mg is not intended to improve BG control but rather for the body to get used to the meds. I am to take o.6 mg/day of liraglutide for the next 2 weeks and then increase my dose to 1.2 mg/day. I will check back in a couple of weeks.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Sarah1005

I am on byetta which is similar to victoza, have been on it just over 2 weeks and feel like giving up with it, its working great on my BG readings but for a few days now I just feel really low and feel like crying, I have acid reflux and heartburn which I already take omeprazole for anyway, the sickness was bad at first but isnt too bad now but I really dont want to feel depressed with it!! I am prone to depression anyway and take citalopram, I just wonder if its worth it just to have low readings! I also have stomach issues with it too.
I have been able to reduce my gliclazide to 1 a day from 4 because I have had a few hypos and I also take metformin.
My diabetic nurse has been very supportive and is encouraging me to stick with it but its hard, I also dont like what I read about these 2 drugs, can be quite scarey.

tanya75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well its now been 2 months. weight loss has stopped. side effects eased off as long as i didnt eat too many fatty foods. if not the smelly burps, and diaehorea comes back. sugars have dropped but not alot. morning is still about 12.

rsg1

When I first went on Victoza I had really bad side effects . I read that taking anti-histamine tablets might help within 3 days all side effects had gone and after 2 weeks i no longer needed the anti-histamine it worked for me so its worth a try

taffy64uk

Hi There my name is Eric i was put onto Victoza last week and so far have had no side effects im not picking at food during the day or nightnow & have so far lost 8 pounds in weight i was on byetta before but this stopped working on me so thats why i was put on the Victoza as i say so far touch wood no problems using it

BeccaBoo

I started Victoza 6 months ago. My A1/C1 was 7.5. It is now 6.5 and blood sugar levels are now normal. I was very leary of giving myself a shot in the stomach. Actually, most times I cannot feel it. I have severe constipation with this med! Up to 4 days with no movement. Bloating, fingers swelling and feeling miserable even after taking over the counter laxatives. I finally take 3 large does of Phillips Milk of Magnesia and am out of commision an entire day. I also occasionally have mild nausea. It does get betterI On a positive note, I have have lost 14 pounds without any real change in diet. I am not as hungry as I previously was. When I discussed stopping the Victoza due to the constipation, my doctor advised against it. I read a post about movacol sachets soluble. Will try that tomorrow! I am scared to death of diabetes!! If this does not work, I am having the vertical sleeve surgery!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello dobbie.
It is early days for you with your journey on victoza.
Please be guided by how you are feeling healthwise and not get too
scared with what you read .
Bit of queasyness ? - severe nausea ? Nothing? !!!
I have been fine on victoza over a year now :)
We are all individual and are unique ...
What suits one person - wont suit all.
Ask any questions you wish/need to .
How are you feeling?
Usually they titrate 0.6 to 1.2 after 2weeks of being on the 0.6units.
Do let us know how you go on.
Anna.

dobbie12

hi anna,
sorry for not replying sooner, just come back for a quick nosey round and saw your reply. I understand what your saying but when you come to these sites and see so many bad comments the good ones tend to fizzle into the background. I have been very naseous and bruised very badly as i've never injected before till now. I think i've now got the hang of it but i'm terrified of doing it again. Then when you read people saying they've had bad effects it does scare you a little. Thanks for your kind words of support i'll try to just keep going and see how it maps out for me.I'm on first week of 0.6 then same next week and increase the following week when i see DN and dietician.
Dobbie. x

MAE

hi i have been on victoza for 2 weeks no sickness but awful tummy upsets and cramp dn says its not connected to the injection fed up .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi dobbie and MAE...
With some people using victoza medication they have found nibbling a dry cracker or
a ginger biscuit helpful to ease the nausea.
Also it can be an initial side effect upon starting out on victoza then it settles down.
As we are all individual it can affect us all differently, if symptoms persist or worsen
please return to your GP/DSN's for their advice.
Anna.

BlindFaith

Hiya,
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm a Victoza user and although I didn't feel as though it was doing anything at all, my HbA1c has come down really steadily from 13% - 11% - 10% and I was told that I'm now on track for a HbA1c of 7-8% this time round (I'll find out what it is on Friday so I'll update then).

I had a bit of transient sickness, although mine affected me in the evenings. It has settled down now, thankfully.
My BG levels are the lowest they've ever been. When I was first diagnosed I was 28 mmol/L and now I'm happily sitting under 10mmol/L most of the time and I think this can be attributed to the Victoza, the oral medication I take (Metformin and Glimepiride) and a change in diet.

I wanted to say to those of you that are feeling a bit fed up with it all to please PLEASE stick with it.
I was in the same place a couple of months ago and honestly just felt like throwing in the towel but I hung on and the diabetic nurse I see at the hospital told me today that I'm like an entirely different person compared to how I was the last time he saw me.

I know the side effects suck and I know that you may not be able to see results immediately but I'm definitely a Victoza success story so please don't be disheartened.

Good luck to all of you.