Tired, Painful Joints, Lethargic, Weak, Memory Going

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you like to eat, so you are in luck!. There's loads of delicious food in the "eat all you want " section here: Eat as much cheese as you like.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I wouldn't worry about exercise for a few weeks (but please walk the dog!). You are tired, and the main thing that will make a difference is changing the food you eat. So make life as easy as possible while you are doing that. Most of the symptoms you mention will improve with the change in food, even the memory loss and lack of willpower around food.
You must drink 8 glasses of water a day to start with. If you lose a lot of weight suddenly, and are getting headaches etc, you may need (temporarily) to add a little salt on your food to replace what you losing.
If you are not used to preparing vegetables (the main carbs allowed), leave them out for a few days, and concentrate on eating some meat cheese eggs etc with some butter at every meal and for snacks. Or buy ready made salad bags.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fats1964 said:
Hi Ladybird64

i did same other day called at tesco and bought some chicken fillet in breadcrumbs and some roast potoates, and i was struggling to move in a couple of hours, having said that i can eat crisps chocolate etc and not have the same effect, and i love cheese to nibble on, usually edam or mozarella,
also i havent mentioned this i was told i had osteo arthritis in my hips and back years ago and spondolosis was mentioned plus in my neck and upper back, and i did have a few previous back injuries (soft tissue they said)
i have started today to try and take my tablets i have been given, metformin 850mg x 3 plus ramipril, gliclazide, ezetrol, i also had blood tests about 1 month ago, they struggled to get blood and it was very thick, and very dark.

I will think about posting what i have had
it wont look good though

Hi

Please post what you eat, no one will think anything bad of t, but you will get lot of advice, all that as been mentioned is grea advice already.

The breadcrumbs on the chicken will cause you being tired as contain carbs like the potatoes. I too think your blood glucose is running high from what you describe just like I felt. You can pickup a meter for £10 at Asda, this is the most importent piece of equipment you can have.

Ask lots of questions :D

Scot

Juliette

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Richard - I want to say Congratulations :clap: on giving up smoking!
That is a huge step (I know :wink: )
Well done.
The posters above have good advice, especially about good protein foods, drinking plenty of water, and having salads and veges - ready-prepared makes it easy.
Every good wish to you.

fats1964

Well I think its about a month now

Cant stop eating nuts, one of the few things that stop me eating junk or going hungry and easy to carry
I have lost weight not sure how much, but last Friday I went for retina scan for diabetes etc, they reckoned 21.4 stone, last i got weighed at least a few months ago at Doctors i was 23 stone. I am not getting weighed like my old diets, I am not on a diet, i have just given up "the ****" as much as possible, i will need to fine tune things, probably a month or 2 yet,
Anyway I am eating, cashews, brazils, walnuts, almonds, omelettes, cheese, occasional rice krispies or weetabix, chicken fillet, beetroot, boiled eggs, strawberries, bananas,

I have not had any bread, potatoes, chips, pizzas, biscuits, cakes, chocolates, crisps, or anything in between, like sweets, crackers, or processed foods, sausages, battered, bread crumbed items, stews, soups, sauces,

But i forgot i have had a couple of icecreams OOPs sorry, and still a few bacardi and pepsi max,
I am still tired, a bit more energy, but feel healthier and lighter, but i keep forgetting to take medication

One more thing that helped is someone said i am going through the Andropause, (male menopause), I thought no chance im not having that.

My sugars arent low, and i havent organised how i would keep on top of that never mind recording details

I have a hard enough time remembering work things and i need my memory and other things improving so i can do better at work, but I am thinking physical health first, I cnat do everything at once

I wish I could talk to some of you guys

Juliette

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you are feeling a bit healthier and lighter; that will be on-going, I'm sure.
If your pharmacist packed your meds in a calendar-reminder blister pack, would that help you remember to take them? The meds will help lower you blood-glucose levels and improve everything generally.
(Just to say, I found this thread when I searched for information on ketoacidosis, with which my husband has been suffering just lately; I have a little bit of an understanding of the issues you're facing. Best wishes, good health to you.)

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Did you buy a meter yet and if so what are your readings.

I suggest taking one reading 1st thing after you wake., to begin with.
Then after you get used to it you can the proceed to read before and ater meals to access the effect of the foods you have eaten.
Usually after 1 hour, then two hours by which time the reading should have returned to the before meal level.

Hope that this helps !

Roy

fats1964

Well its nearly Christmas, and back to where i was, but new problems. im trying to get into my head if all thee ailments are caused by the diabetes, plus I have a new problem, Im struggling to walk, as I have a lump under my left heel and arch, which presses on my already painful foot, (both feet painful to walk)

I have paids and crunching type noises in my elbows, knees, hands, feet etc. very weak all over, very tired all the time no energy, stuggling to think, never mind pay attention or hold conversations, depressed, ive lost 2 /3 of my strength in 4 years, lost muscle mass. Feet ...toes i really struggle to use shoes and boots, toes and parts of feet started to go numb, i wake up with pains in hands and feet, what feels like cramp which takes a few hours to go, from my forearms and hands and below the knees and feet, i feel like im losing feeling, definately strength, and i think circulation.

I managed to struggle through work, but have had to take time off cos i couldnt carry on, and im hoping to improve things, im one of those people who struggle to see anything working of it isnt quick, ive ended a relationship as i couldnt be doing with a needy woman when i cant even sort myself.

Ive been given amitripyline to help with nerve pain neuropathy etc, but makes me so tired, other tabs for diabetes and ramipril, and they are supposedly getting me to a dietician and diabetic nurse, to talk about injecting, or a stomach op, a dietician will be no good as ive been over things a million times, my mental state is as is., ocd depression etc, im sure keeps me where I am. Ive had couselling and CBT etc, it makes no difference cos i can see both sides and it doesnt touch what i think.

So ive packed in work with enough money to manage for maybe 2 months max, cant walk much at all (the lump on my foot i had removed years ago theni t grew back) I am going to get a cross trainer to do soemthing in the house, i will take the meds but changing food, thats a biggy, although i have found a nice jordans muesli with nuts etc, I like a drink but dont want to give it up.
I need to do some things within the coming weeks so i can get back to work with a difference i can see and others will see.
I also think that because of some things that happened to me when i was a child, that affected me for life, and its as if i dont deserve to improve and i am holding myself back as punishment.
So now not working if i cant mend, no relationship as i feel unable to be in a relationship, i have other health more physical problems affecting ability to exercise as I would like.

This is the stage of my life I think, that if i dont do the biggest thing i would ever need to do, i will never come back from, and i can see if I did all this that it could be such an example, of breaking the chains, I could be a light for others.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
2 minutes is better than 0 minutes! There's some people out there that can't even be bothered. You've got a long journey ahead of you, but start with baby steps :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 people

fats1964

I really cant see going wthout food and drink will help, Im been hindered as I have a growth under my left heel and arch, which is painful to walk on, so cant walk far or wear the right shoes.
I was thinking of making smoothies,, but not sure if i can have whole oranges bananas etc etc

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1386092803.470400.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1386092803.470400.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 421

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am waiting for a hip replacement but still try and do 10 mins 2 times a day on my exercise bike as every little helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

How are you managing with food and weight loss?

Are you still trying to reduce carbs?

fats1964

Sorry but not done anything with food recently ive been so under pressure at work and struggling i just packed in and first few days taking it very easy

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
In the summer I was feeling awful

I then decided to try something,anything to make myself feel better so I went on a low(ish) carb diet, the weight fell off me my engery levels and other symptoms improved. Blood levels improved

I cannot say I am perfect and I still do stupid things like eat Nutella on a spoon straight from a jar :lol:

BUT- I am good for more than I am not and it is worth the effort.

Cara

Pompeygirl

I have been very lazy with exercise walking. 30 mins but only for a few days at a time. My BS is now around 6.5 to 7 in the afternoons but today after a walk with effort it was 4.7 i will definitely be making the effort every day

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been truly inspired by Richards posts,i have been on the Newcastle diet since 31st of October, found this site so useful, but felt like cheating today, after reading that lot ,no way.

fats1964

2christine said:
I have been truly inspired by Richards posts,i have been on the Newcastle diet since 31st of October, found this site so useful, but felt like cheating today, after reading that lot ,no way.

I am so ravenously hungry I would pass out trying that diet, I am at 22.5 stone roughly, and even slight exercise makes me very hungry.
Probably comfort eating for years too, due to some abuse as a child and other bullying problems, but if I can get out of this nightmare, I also used to be pleased with my S** life, but now single partly due to my problems, ive lost interest in almost everything.
I packed in work, hoping to sort myself out, but cant see it working after these first few days.
The amount of help I need seems so big no one could ever help enough to fix me,

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you sound just like my brother ,he died last march,i don't want to go down that road and I don't want you to, if I can help and support you in any way I will, so come on all lifes a journey don't give up, lets travel together. :wave: