Christmas Cake

Sugarsmith

Dislikes
Done have any
Yes, have done that now.
Thank you for the recipe.
I am somewhat concerned that you consider this to be low carb because the ingredients and all of the fruits you have used are no different to using raisins, currants and sultanas as in a normal recipe. In fact, all of the fruits you have recommended are higher.
Also Rum is high carb but a pure brandy like the French Three Barrels is a pure brandy and not a fermented brandy like some others and a fermented brandy still has sugar remains and can also make the cake ferment.
Surely these incredients are all high carb
How can maripan be " low carb marzipan" - How do you make it. Its still sugar and almonds.

I have been making Special Occasion Cakes for more than 30 years, and personally I would be concerned to recommend this recipe as being 'lower in carb' - Its totally inappropriate.
Sorry
Anne

WhitbyJet

Sugarsmith said:
Yes, have done that now.
Thank you for the recipe.
I am somewhat concerned that you consider this to be low carb because the ingredients and all of the fruits you have used are no different to using raisins, currants and sultanas as in a normal recipe. In fact, all of the fruits you have recommended are higher.
Also Rum is high carb but a pure brandy like the French Three Barrels is a pure brandy and not a fermented brandy like some others and a fermented brandy still has sugar remains and can also make the cake ferment.
Surely these incredients are all high carb.
How can maripan be " low carb marzipan" - How do you make it. Its still sugar and almonds.

I have been making Special Occasion Cakes for more than 30 years, and personally I would be concerned to recommend this recipe as being 'lower in carb' - Its totally inappropriate.
Sorry
Anne

The cake is certainly a lot lower carb than any other Christmas cake recipe, a lot of the dried fruit is replaced with blueberries, and yes of course its perfectly possible to make sugarfree marzipan, you just need to think outside your box and become inventive, there are also several good low carb, sugarfree marzipan recipes on the internet if you would like to google for them.

WhitbyJet

AND
“Captain Morgan® Original Spiced Rum contains approximately 75 calories per 1 1/4 oz serving size, 0 grams of fat and .4 grams of carbohydrates.” Hardly loaded with carbs then is it??

Thanks for your PM as well, I appreciate that you are probably frustrated, but please dont have a go at me, I am diabetic as well.

Sugarsmith

Dislikes
Done have any
WhitbyJet said:
AND
“Captain Morgan® Original Spiced Rum contains approximately 75 calories per 1 1/4 oz serving size, 0 grams of fat and .4 grams of carbohydrates.” Hardly loaded with carbs then is it??

Thanks for your PM as well, I appreciate that you are probably frustrated, but please dont have a go at me, I am diabetic as well.

I am most certainly not having a go at you personally or otherwise. I am definately not frustrated either.

I am a Professional who makes cakes.

Anne

C

catherinecherub

WhitbyJet has provided many recipes on here for people who want a lower carb content and that is what she does. She may not be a "professional" cake maker but she sure has a following here and people are impressed with all her recipes. :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 people

WhitbyJet

Awww catherinecherub, how sweet, thank you :) :)
I do try to help, but am far from perfect, I know that, can only get better......

Mileana

I think the discussing to begin with was to get the opportunity to enjoy a decent Christmas Cake which was low(ER) in carb than the traditional alternatives.

I don't think many of us would go munch an entire CC thinking it was low carb, but having a lower carb option for the bite or two one does want is good.

It's only Christmas once a year and I appreciate being able to have some favourites that have been modified to be less taxing on my system - occasionally, rarely, consciously.

Thanks again for the recipe, WJ.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Wow-just seen this thread after somebody asked about a Christmas cake recipe!

Am I the only person that has noticed there seems to be some confusion re what constitutes high carb?

Sugarsmith, you have mentioned the sugar content of the fruit, the rum etc but you make no mention of the flour. As a "professional cake maker" I would assume that you are aware that it is the amount and type of flour that goes into the cakes that tends to decide whether they are high carb, not the sugar and almonds.

I have no wish to provoke an argument but feel that it is only fair to mention that you may be a professional cakemaker but that has absolutely nothing to do with diabetes and I am really not sure why you raised that point.

If you feel that the recipe is totally inappropriate, perhaps you could provide a low carb alternative.

SueR

Please can I have a copy.

I'd love to make my own cake this year and with two diabetics in the house it will go down very well. I'm not an icing and marzipan fan, so will keep the topping simple and as lighly covered as possible.

Thanks.

roseugine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rudeness loud music in shops cruelty in any form to human or animal.,cold weather being fat getting old
could i have a copy please
thanks Margaret

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
As a suggestion: not a no-sugar Xmas cake but a (relatively low) sugar one. Can't do anything about the dried fruits or butter or flour or perhaps this isn't such a good idea .........

Marion's Boiled Fruitcake

Serves 8
Prep: 20 min plus cooling
Cook: 1 hour

Choose organic fruit and unrefined sugar if possible
150g butter, chopped
300g sultanas
300g currants
180g soft brown sugar
1tsp ground mixed spice
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
250ml water
2 eggs, well beaten
150g plain flour
150g self-raising flour

METHOD
Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Combine the butter, sultanas, currants, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, then set aside to cool.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon. Sift the two flours into the mixture and beat well. Pour into a lightly oiled cake tin of about 22cm diameter.

Bake for an hour, or until a thin skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before taking the cake from the tin. Cool and store in an airtight container until required.

This is wonderful with cheese (Caerphilli or Stilton) and it doeswn't seem to boost my BG into the stratosphere!

I'm not afraid of a claim for plagiarism.....

Robert WT
Mad as a box of frogs

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lenny
I can't see how you could make a LOW carb Christmas cake, but you could probably modify a standard recipe to reduce the carbs. Perhaps leave out sugar and check the carb rating of dried fruits, using the lowest only and add lots of nuts.
After that you'd have to keep the portion size tiny, but I'm sure it CAN be done. I'm planning on hat myself and I'll make the cake small. We have 3 diabetics in the household. I'll also make a reduced carb pudding.
Since we eat almost no sugar, leaving it out the recipes shouldn't be a problem in taste.
Hana

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I am not posting the recipe in the open forum, I dont want to be awkward but this recipe was devised between myself and my mother in law, lots of trial and error gone into it until we got a good result, we shared the recipe with many, my mother in laws friend posted it on an American forum and promptly was landed with a law suit, still ongoing issue!!
Some clot reckons the recipe is copyrighted and was stolen from him, he is about to bring out a cookery book. Its rubbish, absolute rubbish of course, and in any case how many of us cook something really nice and then pass on the recipe to friends and family??
Happy to send out the recipe via PM to anyone who wants it.
Would you mind PMing it to me please to?