neuropathy?

curly

Hi all

How long does it take generally for neuropathy to set in if you are type 1?

I have been type 1 for just over a year and have good control with hbA1cs between 5.9 and 6.8. But I do have problems with binge eating nasty foods (had that long before the diabetes) so I guess my BS is probably spiking on these occasions pretty badly before coming back down.

I woke up in the middle of the night yesterday with a tingling pins and needles kind of sensation in my arms from the elbow downwards and also in my legs from the shin downwards. Nearly 24 hours later I still have it and I am really worried that some kind of nerve damage is setting in....but after only 1 year with good control????

If I still have it on Monday I will be going to the diabetes unit, but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?

thank you :(

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I think your HBA1C's are good. It seems you were just lying funny, sometimes my arms been completely dead when I'm passed out asleep and then been fine by the afternoon. Neuropathy doesn't always set in I don't think. I had my BG a bit high once which led to a tingly numb sensation in my toes but then when I got it back down again, I was ok and the sensation came back. try to keep your BG in the normal range though at all times. If you think it might be too high after enjoying some chocolate or such just test to make sure. It is difficult but important to avoid the complications in the future.

miss e j

I often get tingling and numbness as a hypo symptom (I have had type 1, erratically controlled, for 25 years). I've never had it properly explained, but I've had thsi for years, especially with a night hypo.

Changes in BG - up or down - seem to irritate the nerves. If your control is pretty tight, it could be low BGs? How good is your hypo awareness? Do the symptoms go away if you eat something?

Just a thought.

Trinkwasser

I find there's a threshold around 8, if I cross that even briefly I get the Velcro socks and Marigold gloves effect which may last for a few hours, much higher and it progresses to tingling, numbness and "feet going to sleep". It's plausible that you had a brief spike which set off the symptoms despite your good overall control.

On the other side of the coin as the nerves heal from prolonged good control the symptoms can get worse temporarily.

bonerp

Trinkwasser said:
On the other side of the coin as the nerves heal from prolonged good control the symptoms can get worse temporarily.

I think I'm experiencing this now! I suffer if I sit in a chair in a certain way - get a 'dead' leg. Also get pins and needles in arm/hand when I wake up. Eyes have been a problem too with prolonged and serious retinopathy - Im just hoping its starting to settle down now! Maybe just falling to bits tho!

Paul

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
miss e j said:
I often get tingling and numbness as a hypo symptom (I have had type 1, erratically controlled, for 25 years). I've never had it properly explained, but I've had thsi for years, especially with a night hypo.

Changes in BG - up or down - seem to irritate the nerves. If your control is pretty tight, it could be low BGs? How good is your hypo awareness? Do the symptoms go away if you eat something?

Just a thought.

Hi my BG is erratic but a while ago I was scared of constant hypos so purposely kept it up a little bit. My toes were very sensitive and tickly but for a few weeks the big toe on my left foot and surrounding area on the back of the foot couldn't be felt with the end of a toothbrush. I got my boyfriend to test the feeling and on one side I said I could feel every time but on the other side sometimes I said yes I can feel but it wasn't as strong. Anyway it eventually came back. I have the tingly feeling sometimes with my lips when having a hypo but this was a different feeling - more numb and the bits that weren't numb were pins and needles type feeling. I just hope I don't get it back ever. It was scary :|