No control

Doris06

Hi, type 2 since April but can't get blood glucose under control, is nearly always ranging from 7-11, have reduced carbs and doing some exercise, any ideas or tips really welcome thx

paragliderpete

Hi doris. Could you post some more information, possibly a typical days meals and bm.s for the day. Do you count your carbs , if so what is your average daily consumption . Should be able to help once you have posted a bit more info

Doris06

Yes, 2500mg metformin
Not counting carbs but have reduced
45 and over weight

Wholemeal toast

Sandwich or salad fruit and muller light yog

Evening meal can be a bit hit and miss
Don't have pasta and if I have rice or potatoes I have half of what I would have had before

Nurse told me my latest blood test showed overall a slight improvement but still get high reading on bloods each day

Grazer

The toast, sandwich and evening meals are all potentially quite carby. You say you have half the rice or potatos you used to have, but how much is that? You probably get quite high readings after the bread - lots of us here eat Burgen soya and linseed bread; it's lower in carbs and low GI. You really need to start testing after your meals. If your readings are higher than 7.8 MAX two hours after eating, you need to cut down the carbs in that meal. That will tell you how much bread, pasta, rice, potatos etc you can eat. If you don't get a meter from the doctor, and most people don't, the cheapest option is to buy the SDcodefree from Amazon or ebay, Cheap to buy, and the testing strips are the cheapest by far,

A

Anonymous

ditto all of that

Try adding up the amount of carbs you eat today (there are websites that will give you exact amounts) or post exactly what you eat today (including quantities) and we'll work it out for you. Can you also let us know your pre-meal and +2hrs post meal numbers.
That's quite a dose of Metformin you're on too.

We'd like to help - give us as much info as you have and we'll see if we can.

A

Anonymous

It's carbs that affect your levels. When you read a packet it'll say Carbohydrates = xx g of which sugars xx g - we mostly ignore the 'of which sugars' bit - it can be useful for determining how quickly the carbs will affect you, but it's the total carbs figure you're worried about. Refined sugar is a carbohydrate, but all carbs will affect your levels.

For example - for lunch today I ate two Melba Toast crisp breads (yes, I know, living the high life). They had 3.9g of carb each (got that from the packet). The cheese and marmite added almost nothing, so my carb intake from these was 7.8g . If I had eaten a slice of normal white bread my intake would be more like 18g.
I know from experience that less than 10g at a meal won't affect me much (experience is by testing my levels 2 hrs after a meal) but 18g would make my levels rise - especially with something like white bread which is too fast acting for me.

My sensitivity to carbs (sugars) is quite extreme - lots of people can eat more carbs than this and keep their levels reasonable - you'll only know by testing.