Healthy soup for the autumn

Grazer

****-a-leeky from baxters in sainsburys (and I'm sure others) is pretty good at 5.6 grams carbs per half tin. I've tried others with less, like an oriental soup, but it tasted like water. ****-a-leekie is at least half less than most others.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Throw a caulii in a pan with haf milk and water to cover 1 stock cube or salt and pepper blast away for 20mins ,mash or blitz stir in grated cheese to taste.No additives etc nearly as fast as opening a can
CAROL

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Fry onions, add chopped mushrooms, stock the cream, you can blitz it before the cream is added, but it freezes well too.
I make broccoli and blue cheese, big pots of veggie soup with everything in. Bulk make that is and then freeze it in portions.

Nikkig

Halve a butternut squash sprinkle with olive oil,salt and pepper and bung in oven to roast for about 30 mins. Meanwhile, chop up and fry one onion and a clove of garlic (nice fat one) add, level teaspoon of cinnamon, ginger, paprika and half teaspoon of chilli powder. Fry until the spice smell fills the kitchen, then add a chopped sweet potato and some stock, (I use veggie stock). Scrape out the roast butternut squash and add to the soup, simmer until all nice and soft, blitz and then serve. Vibrant colour and fills you up! :thumbup:

crumblecookie

Hi SouthernGeneral
You don't have to be a cook to make a good veggie soup. :lol: I use a ham shank( local butcher£2.07 or supermarket£2.79) Put into a VERY large pan (I use a pressure cooker pan) and bring to boil.Throw water away and fill with cold water again ( this gets rid of residual salt).Bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours,after 1 hour add pulses and 3 ham stock cubes ( only made by Knorr and available at Tesco or Sainsbury's (I use a non soak broth mix from the supermarket again) and carry on simmering,meanwhile peel a large potato and dice( chop) finely, 4 carrots 1 onion and a whole celery. Chop all these finely and when the ham shank feels cooked Just stick a knife into you will easily tell if it is ready, take it out to cool,add all veggies and simmer until soft. When the ham shank is cool enough to handle remove rind and discard,chop meat and stick the bones back into the pan add the meat and cook till veggies are soft. Next morning you will find that the soup has set into a rich vegetable jelly. You can then take the bones out and discard and then divide into containers and freeze. It will keep for a week in the fridge without freezing and if you don't like lumpy veg blitz it in a blender. It is so easy to make and my son and I share the pan full over the week. He takes it to work in a thermos. It is very filling and has low glycemic index so it keeps you full longer. It is so full of flavour and you can also add a chicken carcase with the ham shank if you want. You do not need salt, maybe a little black pepper to taste. Good luck
Maggie

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At last something sensible to have before the hassle of "Christmas" .

Bung in anything spare, add a little curry spice then go make soup. :D

A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting.

Roy. :)

Sever

strange non related question but question does anyone have a soup/meal recipe i can use pumpkin/seeds i hate to waste our halloween pumpkin

Baxters always do healthier and tastier soups than Heinz (who add tonnes of preservatives and other rubbish). Try the Healthy Chicken & Vegetable. It's not that low on carbs (6.6g per 100g) but it's full of veg, and has healthy in the title so has got to be good for you ;-) (joking!)

MS

BarbaraMc

Baxters do make great soups, with lots of veg, but your own can be so much better, and there's usually more of it.
I would go with Crumblecookie's ham hock - it does take some time, but like she says, it lasts all week. I often make it on a Sunday to use up any leftover veg.
I don't use so much carrot (carbs) but include leek as well as onion, courgette, cauliflower/brocolli stalks; the celery and ham provides lots of flavour. I usually grate the potato into a separate bit of stock and stir whilst boiling it, to provide some thickening.
You can vary it with diced and skinned roasted peppers for colour, or a pinch of crushed chilli flakes, and for a change from ham, I use the stockpot jelly type stock, usually a couple of chicken ones, or whatever you like. Mmmmm, Perfect.
Then when you've mastered this, you can make your own chicken stock from the carcass/bones